Sore swollen thumb area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sore swollen thumb area

At my boarding facility we do a large quantity of dogs every day, talking at least 10 to 20, perhaps more around holidays. Anyhow we buy equipment in bulk as to save money. That being said most of the equipment is cheap, regular Andis combs, hard plastic blue no name slicker brushes, and soft metal slicker brushes. My area has been swelling lately, and aching badly while I brush, and especially comb. Do I need more ergonomic tools, or something different as far as techniques? I don't see where I'm doing anything funky, or different from other groomers. Oh I'm only 24, I do groom 6 days a week roughly 8 to 10 hours daily. I'm the bather, groomer, and brusher. I try stretching daily, and taking breaks frequently enough when I can. Here is how the swelling looks. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1453088830839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1138928

My hand used to do this.....you need more ergonomic tools (as for technique, I have never seen how you work so I can't say about that).
    In the meantime. .....ice soak that hand till you can't take the cold anymore then keep hand in ice bath for 5 more mins, lol. For real this will help with swelling and make pain go away as it "thaws" out.
    Last edited by Cyn; 01-18-16, 03:42 PM.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

It could be gout as well. Do u eat a lot of red meat, smoke, drink...well of course you drink, your a groomer...tart black cherry concentrate from your health food store will fix you up if it is gout.

Petagree Mobile Spa
      www.petagreemobilespa.com

Comment

Stop putting torque on your as you brush and comb. Adjust your grip for this. Then, ibuprofen and an accupuncturist.

I'll be 61 in April and thought I'd have to quit when my s were so sore and swollen I couldn hardly hold the steering wheel to drive home at night. My combination cure has made it possible to continue working and actually helped my finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
          Stop putting torque on your as you brush and comb. Adjust your grip for this. Then, ibuprofen and an accupuncturist.

I'll be 61 in April and thought I'd have to quit when my s were so sore and swollen I couldn hardly hold the steering wheel to drive home at night. My combination cure has made it possible to continue working and actually helped my finishes.
          Could you take a picture of how you hold your comb, in a way that it doesn't hurt? The combing seems to be my worst problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just throwing this out there. ... I have rheumatoid arthritis and find that switching between a squared comb and a rounded comb grip helps with inflammation issues I may have going on.

Comment

Originally posted by petagreespa View Post
              It could be gout as well. Do u eat a lot of red meat, smoke, drink...well of course you drink, your a groomer...tart black cherry concentrate from your health food store will fix you up if it is gout.

Petagree Mobile Spa
              www.petagreemobilespa.com
              Wow, I never thought of gout. .....my stepbrother has gout in his hands bad but the whole hand swells BIG!
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
              X