Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXCUSE ME should groomers apologize for their wages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXCUSE ME should groomers apologize for their wages?

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201..._than_col.html

I know I am being a little snarky. But really, look at the title of this article. Childcare workers make less than pet groomers. Those darn groomers, cut their wages too!!! LOL

Lol, No we should not cut wages for grooming. ;D
    This article was interesting, I have never had children (knew day care was expensive)......so are owners of daycare being stingy with pay (like some illegal grooming places) or are they just hiring the least expensive (and least experienced ppl they can)!
    This sickens me......all the "hype" of groomers must be licensed and child daycare WORKERS don't need to be?
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Haters gonna hate.

Comment

none of us get rich from grooming, I'd bet most of us don't think we are paid enough, because..... most the time we aren't. (as far as good groomers whom really always give more value in their groom than whatever price is set, and those same groomers who discount dogs they shouldn't to help the owners keep up with the grooming costs and have the dog come in regularly) We do work many don't have the mental fortitude to do, nor the patience.

Comment

Originally posted by DogGamut View Post
          none of us get rich from grooming, I'd bet most of us don't think we are paid enough, because..... most the time we aren't. (as far as good groomers whom really always give more value in their groom than whatever price is set, and those same groomers who discount dogs they shouldn't to help the owners keep up with the grooming costs and have the dog come in regularly) We do work many don't have the mental fortitude to do, nor the patience.
          I think Dolly is getting rich from grooming.

Comment

So... how much do you think child care workers would be paid if they also bathed the children and cut their hair? :P
            The statement of the title throws me off.. I would be paid less if I were a doggy daycare worker. Are they saying because they also teach the children they should make more? Our dog trainer talks to customers, teaches classes, and supervises puppy play times.. should he make more than me? Such a strange thing to compare. O_o

Comment

I think wage logic is often skewed. Like how often these stories come up of people in whatever occupations making or lobbying for whatever increased salary, and then the comparison of someone supposedly more worthy making less. Instead of just lobbying for the supposedly more worthy occupation paying more, the implication is that others should make less because FAIR!

Comment

In my city, free pre-Kindergarten is now available. Well, it's free to the parents, but not to the taxpayers, ha ha. I've heard the pay is not bad. In fact, child care companies are losing employees to the pre-K program because they can't compete with the pay rate.

Comment

I’ve been thinking about whether or not I wanted to post on this. Being a newish groomer, I don’t post often but I read and try to learn. But this. This is something I can speak to. It’s going to be long and I am so sorry for that.

Comparing the two “industries” is apples to oranges. While I completely understand your frustration and anger at the comparison, child care TEACHERS (huge pet peeve, I am not a WORKER. I am a TEACHER. Regardless of whether or not they have a degree, they are teaching children life skills and how to be good people *hopefully*) are terribly underpaid and no one is getting rich off it. It’s a broken system that cannot be fixed unless the federal government subsidizes early care…but then we will all pay for it.

My real, weekday career (atm) is within the early childcare field. Five years ago a groomer left my dog in an incredibly dangerous situation so I started grooming them myself. Three years ago I decided I enjoyed it a lot and closed out my tiny little IRA of $6k that it took me 10 years to save and went to grooming school. I have been working weekends since graduation, learning and building my skills and do hope to leave child care behind me some day.

Any-hoo I would like to clarify a few details here…at least from my neck of the woods. I have a degree in early childhood education and have been teaching since 1991. I have taught every age from 6 weeks through first grade, have been an assistant director at a large center and have owned my own licensed family child care home. I currently do still work from home but surrendered my State license last year because I just could not live with the State in my house any longer.

Most States do indeed require education, training and licensing to provide legal child care. Legislation is always a slow process, but I am quite sure that within the next decade (based on the progress of the previous decade), every State will mandate education and licensing (especially since the cost of care is a Presidential candidate talking point). Child care is a lot like grooming in that there are many illegal facilities. Lots of stay at home moms looking to earn extra money by “baby sitting” and not realizing or perhaps not caring that they are breaking the law. And unfortunately, there are just as many parents who don’t care if it’s illegal as long as it’s cheap…sound familiar? I cannot fault the parents for that either (well I can a little), it IS terribly expensive but after over 20 years in this field, I don’t know of one teacher/owner/provider that got rich off of anyone.

Depending on your level of qualification and what your job title is, in my State you must have a degree, diploma or GED and a set number of hrs of experience within particular areas. In addition to that, you also need to maintain a set number of ongoing mandated hours of continuing education annually or you lose your credential and your job. Cost of those training hours are out of pocket and on your own time, usually at night or on the weekends. There are no employee benefits in child care unless you work for a corp.

The rub here comes down to funding. There is no way to charge a family enough to cover all expenses (including a decent hourly wage for the teachers) and allow the families enough to live on. But neither can you expect a teacher to accumulate a massive amount of debt to acquire a degree and only be paid minimum wage. I am fairly expensive for home care in my area but less expensive than center based care. I just did my w-10’s (dependent care form for taxes) for 2015. Honestly, I don’t know how families with more than one child afford it.

For me, the tax benefits of having a home based business is a large part of why I can be a child care provider. If my husband didn’t have a good job, there is no way I could do this though. As a State licensed home, I cared for 6 children of varying ages for approximately 70 hours a week. Licensed exempt (which is what I am now) allows me to legally care for 3 children. In 2015, my business made 8 dollars an hour. If you are a business owner, you understand what I mean when I say “the business made”. I COULD make a better hourly wage with potentially some benefits doing practically anything else.

Seventy…hours…a…week…these children spend more waking hours with their child care provider than they spend with their parents. So while I am teaching them from an educational point of view I am also raising them to be good people and productive members of society. And I would be doing that even without my degree.

So yeah, this article is ridiculous to compare the two industries and was probably done just for effect (“omg, my kid’s teacher makes less than my dog’s groomer?!” or perhaps “omg, I KNEW my groomer was too expensive!”) BUT be frustrated with the author who chose to do it. I think we can all agree we work very hard in a field that not everyone is cut out for and the same can be said for child care. We ALL should be valued more and the way to do that is not through denigration of others or other professions.

If you're still with me, thanks for reading. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone. And for the record, I don’t get paid more when one of my toddlers has explosive diarrhea and I have to bathe him because there aren’t enough baby wipes on the PLANET to take care of that mess. I just thank my lucky stars I have a utility tub with a spray head :-) 

Comment

Not knowing anything about this daycare job, most of the skills listed are done everyday by mothers who are not being paid. I'm tired of people crying about THEIR life choices. Life is all about choices that WE make. If you choose to NOT go to school, but hang about the street, loaf around the house, and not learn a decent trade and have minimal skills if any, but expect a big paycheck.......well......hurry up and call the newspaper report and cry out that life is not being fair. Everyone is pointing the finger at someone else, when really that finger should be pointed at themselves.

Happy being rich and earning every penny myself

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Woe be to the fence-sitter who is boot strappy enough to believe that hard work should pay off, and "liberal" enough to think that more resources should be available to help level an uneven playing field. There is just no place in society for us. It's not a competition. I want everyone to be able to earn a decent living in their chosen (or unchosen even) vocation, not resent that others have it better/worse. It is ALL apples to swing sets comparisons. If people could think outside their personal bubbles, most every worker and occupation is an important part of a working society and decent economy. I dislike this current trend of devaluing people, especially workers, based on some skewed sense of worth with ridiculous comparisons, and manufactured outrage at our hard-working peers while our overseers and puppeteers gleefully look on. Look! That guy over there has two crumbs while you only have one! Bah.

/soapbox

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                        Not knowing anything about this daycare job, most of the skills listed are done everyday by mothers who are not being paid. I'm tired of people crying about THEIR life choices. Life is all about choices that WE make. If you choose to NOT go to school, but hang about the street, loaf around the house, and not learn a decent trade and have minimal skills if any, but expect a big paycheck.......well......hurry up and call the newspaper report and cry out that life is not being fair. Everyone is pointing the finger at someone else, when really that finger should be pointed at themselves.

"APPLAUSE" Well said Dolly. My thoughts exactly.
                        It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I'm with you Dolly! It's not like there isn't information out there about what sort of work pays well and what sort of work pays poorly. If a bunch of people want to do the work and are willing & able to do it for not much money, the pay will be low.

Originally posted by Dolly View Post

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I do pretty well as a groomer that apparently this writer doesn't know how well groomers can really do, AND I EARN IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                              Lol, No we should not cut wages for grooming. ;D
                              This article was interesting, I have never had children (knew day care was expensive)......so are owners of daycare being stingy with pay (like some illegal grooming places) or are they just hiring the least expensive (and least experienced ppl they can)!
                              This sickens me......all the "hype" of groomers must be licensed and child daycare WORKERS don't need to be?
                              I did consulting for a place that wanted to open a daycare and the payroll expenses and building requirements are ridiculous in that industry. Unless the daycare is out of someone's home, they're highly regulated with staff to child rations for each age group, separate nap rooms, security, etc. Parents can't afford to pay more for daycare because they only make so much by working. You can't charge more per hour than the mom makes, or she'll just stay at home with the kid. The other problem is because home based daycares have less regulations, the commercial ones are competing with them on price and that's unrealistic given the expenses they have. Commerical daycares, unfortunately, are just not very profitable in lower and some middle class communities and wealthier people can afford nannies or other private caretakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X