Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you say when new customers ask for your certifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you say when new customers ask for your certifications?

Here is an article in the mainstream media saying pet owners should ask for certifications when finding the right groomer. What would you, or do you, say to these inquiries?

http://www.hngn.com/articles/167359/...ht-groomer.htm
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

From the humane society? What a joke.....they just wanna get rid of dogs, even if they have to lie about breed, grooming, ect.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Off topic - Humane Society comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
      From the humane society? What a joke.....they just wanna get rid of dogs, even if they have to lie about breed, grooming, ect.
      The part about requesting proof of certifications or a license came from PetMD. The only thing from the Humane Society is this "Many issues, like infections or lumps, are discovered by groomers because washing and trimming fur and nails often exposes the problem, says The Humane Society." The list itself was from HNGN (whoever they are).

The only reason I am even mentioning any of this is because I volunteer every Friday with the Houston Humane Society. They are very upfront and honest with any history they have on pets; good, bad and how the dog ended up at the HHS. I'm very proud of them for the work they do.

Brenda

Comment

Anyone that asks is given a look at my certificate from my grooming school, my NDGAA certificates, conference attended certs, etc. These are all posted in my shop. ( it helps cover the walls .
        I like when people ask about my training or experience. It lets me know that they're truly interested in who is taking care of their pet.

Comment

Mine certifications from IPG are on my website, so they don't have to ask.

Comment

I certified with IPG in the early '80's. Never, in all that time, has anyone asked me if I'm licensed or certified in anyway.
            If the subject does come up, they say they just assumed we were licensed like beauticians.

Comment

If this becomes a regular question though I think coordinator is saying, if you have none and the public is expecting certs, what would say???

Comment

The question is stupid to begin with, In my experience bad groomers get it so they have a fighting chance against real groomers. There's really nothing to certify.
                Good groomers don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by DogGamut View Post
                  The question is stupid to begin with, In my experience bad groomers get it so they have a fighting chance against real groomers. There's really nothing to certify.
                  Really? That's both defensive and insulting, not to mention inaccurate. Some good groomers are not certified and some certified groomers might not be very good. One can argue the relative benefits of certification or lack thereof, but blanket statements.... Sheesh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

DG I cannot agree with those statements either. I know dozens and dozens of certified groomers who are great.
                    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Exactly. I laughed at the remark. I think it is an inflammatory remark made just for the purpose of being inflammatory.

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                      Really? That's both defensive and insulting, not to mention inaccurate. Some good groomers are not certified and some certified groomers might not be very good. One can argue the relative benefits of certification or lack thereof, but blanket statements.... Sheesh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have not yet certified myself by an association but will someday. If the public asks me I would say I did go to grooming school and got a certificate of completion, not the same thing as being certified by NDGAA or IPG, but an honest answer. So I never tell people I am certified, it is the honest thing. I think NDGAA and IPG groomers are to be commended.

Comment

I don't get asked about certifications, but people do ask how long I have been grooming and why I decided to become a groomer.

Comment

I am not certified in anything grooming. I have taken many courses, seminars etc on handling reactive dogs (their rugaas) where they give you a certificate of completion. But I'm assuming those don't count, it they do then I have many continuing education webinars I've taken etc. I apprenticed. I straight up tell them that, also which groups and organizations I belong to and my amount of continuing education including my DVD and book collection.
                            I am also very pleased if someone asks though I don't get that very often.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

No, I don't need it, I want it.

You can't be certified through IPG or NDGAA and be a bad groomer, at least in a technical aspect. It's just impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X