Grooming an Afghan hound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming an Afghan hound

How do you properly cut and afghan hound? What blades and where to cut?

Originally posted by hrosehaigh View Post
    Oh! I am so excited you asked, I am a groomer and assistant to a professional afghan hound breeder and handler.
    So normally you would use a stripping knife, or pumice stone, technically you can use a 7 but that's not the best way. Anyhow you will leave the hair on the head, it will go down naturally on the neck, you won't touch any of that hair, unless the owner wants it trimmed. You will start on either side of the shoulder blades, and follow a high natural line across the back, and slightly down the rear, similar to a cocker, just much higher. The green lines in this photo represent where the lines are set. (I'll send another message with the photo) The face should be clean of any hair, by shaving with a 10 from the corner of the eye to the corner of the ear, similar to that of a clean poodle face. Continue shaving to the top of the throat, the hair that grows naturally there is fine to leave. The photo shown is of a short show coat, you basically just do maintenance grooming, like brushing, rounding feet, shaving pads, and scissoring the skirt when it grows too long. Hope I've been of some help, and I'd be happy to elaborate if you need!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452225231126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1122219

Comment

Moving to better location for this post.......
        Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Originally posted by hrosehaigh View Post
          Did you do the groom?

Comment

Do people still leave the whiskers... mandarins I think they are called?

Comment

Originally posted by Nitewalk View Post
              Do people still leave the whiskers... mandarins I think they are called?
              As far as shaving the face you can leave the mandarin, some do not produce them naturally, and most females are kept with shaved faces.

Comment

Working...
              X