• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petstimes2
    Standard Member & Club 1,000
    • Sep 2009

Why don't I get a discount

The other thread on dryers reminded me of a situation I was not ready to face. In other words caught me off guard. A new customer asked about cage drying and I said we do use it for many dogs, not all, and we supervise carefully. She said what if I don't want my dog cage dried? I said we will hand dry on request. Is there an extra charge she asked. I said no, we will not charge extra for hand drying.

Then she said something to the effect, then why don't I get a discount for letting you use cage drying?

I wasn't ready with a good answer in the moment of a busy day.
  • DogGamut
    Teacup Member
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by petstimes2 View Post
    The other thread on dryers reminded me of a situation I was not ready to face. In other words caught me off guard. A new customer asked about cage drying and I said we do use it for many dogs, not all, and we supervise carefully. She said what if I don't want my dog cage dried? I said we will hand dry on request. Is there an extra charge she asked. I said no, we will not charge extra for hand drying.

Then she said something to the effect, then why don't I get a discount for letting you use cage drying?

There isn't much to respond to there's no logic going on. cage drying is included in the price, just because you don't charge for hand drying doesn't make cage drying any less effective or less costly. I would of tried to humorously let her know cage drying is actually better in some cases.

Comment

• Tawanda
      Toy Member
      • Jan 2013

I would explain that we charge to get the job done and we are happy to please our customers by accommodating their special requests. Or, just tell her you made a mistake and it will cost more to hand dry her dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

• 4them
        Champion Member & Club 1,000
        • Dec 2007

Well one thing if they are always looking for a discount, I don't care if they don't come back. I never faced this, we don't use cage dryers or fans.

Comment

• All_4_Animals
          Teacup Member
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
          I would explain that we charge to get the job done and we are happy to please our customers by accommodating their special requests. Or, just tell her you made a mistake and it will cost more to hand dry her dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
          That's Funny!!

With my mobile biz we include more then the basic bath and in fact dont Just do a bath... Some ppl want the cheapest!! And waste our time...
          He doesnt need to be pampered, he doesnt need teeth brushed... etc..
          Yeah, those are clients that we really dont want!

Comment

• Emma123
            Grand Champion & Club 5,000
            • Oct 2011

Cage drying can actually be beneficial for some dogs, so it's not a discounted service. Some dogs are calmer being cage dried than hand dried.

Comment

• Dolly
              • Aug 2007

I would have told her that we charge for the finished product......not how we get there.

Happy not giving discounts

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

Comment

• Admin
                Administrator
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
                Cage drying can actually be beneficial for some dogs, so it's not a discounted service. Some dogs are calmer being cage dried than hand dried.
                On a related note this was argued in case law. It helped but didn't resolve an issue in a lawsuit. Moral of the story was, if this is so, then the dog in the cage dryer should be under CONSTANT visual observation while in the cage dryer. Many groomers put dogs in cage dryers but do not maintains CONSTANT visual supervision. Where you place cage dryers is critical, and obviously we have all read about dogs in cage dryers where they were killed meaning, there was no visual supervision, and it can be argued by a smart lawyer, that if it was not CONSTANT supervision, the groomer is at fault.
                Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

• coldnose
                  • Jan 2014

Agree no discount, there is not any big savings either way.

Comment

• Dragynwing
                    Teacup Member
                    • Jun 2014

I would let her know that your regular price is your base price. There is no discount on the base price. If you include nail trims a day early cleaning as part of the groom, requesting no nail trim and leaving the ears does not result in a discount. Special requests that alter the time, routine, effort or product involved are honored and charged for appropriately to reflect the time, skills and product involved.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

• DogGamut
                      Teacup Member
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                      On a related note this was argued in case law. It helped but didn't resolve an issue in a lawsuit. Moral of the story was, if this is so, then the dog in the cage dryer should be under CONSTANT visual observation while in the cage dryer. Many groomers put dogs in cage dryers but do not maintains CONSTANT visual supervision. Where you place cage dryers is critical, and obviously we have all read about dogs in cage dryers where they were killed meaning, there was no visual supervision, and it can be argued by a smart lawyer, that if it was not CONSTANT supervision, the groomer is at fault.
                      if the argument was that the force dryer was causing the dog discomfort but the cage dryer wasn't, that lawyer would have a hard time if someone mentioned how once the thing agitating the dog was removed it at that point did not require constant supervision. The lawyer would be much better off making the argument that the salon is responsible for safety of the pets. however these problems are easily avoided by hiring and running the business smart

Comment

• petstimes2
                        Standard Member & Club 1,000
                        • Sep 2009

No magic words, no discount. What's the magic? Just ask for a discount telling me why, the truth. Start with the truth, I might look at your dog and say, this time it is much, but get it together and come in regularly and show me how you will take care of the pet between grooms, we can work something out today.

Comment

• Brit
                          Grand Champion & Club 5,000
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by petstimes2 View Post

This happened to me today when a newer customer came in for her first bath service between full grooms. I told her the bath service price which is $15 less than the full groom and she said what about a discount. Well, you are paying less?? Geez.

Comment

Working...
                          X