X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Self Service Pet Wash Opens - Charging by Weight & Monthly Package

Anyone else charge by weight?

http://www.parkcitiespeople.com/livi...ip-to-the-spa/
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

I would think it would be easier to have small, medium, large and jumbo sizes. I know some customers, especially those with overweight dogs, would be embarrassed to have their pets weighed. It's one thing for the vet to weigh the dog, but the groomer?

Comment

I agree. No need for exact weights on dogs. You can have ranges for sizes. It's obvious to look at the dog and place it in a category.

I don't see how a self serve shop can make enough revenue to cover overhead without full service pro grooming along with self wash. Depending on the rent and overhead, they may need 6 to 10 dogs per day every day just to pay expenses. I don't see that many self washes coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
        I don't see how a self serve shop can make enough revenue to cover overhead without full service pro grooming along with self wash. Depending on the rent and overhead, they may need 6 to 10 dogs per day every day just to pay expenses. I don't see that many self washes coming in.
        The article mentioned that they also do full service washes with a monthly package and regular grooming pay per service as well. That being said, I worked at a very successful self wash in Chicago (they had 4 Chicago locations) that easily did 30 washes per weekend day at our location. We also did nail trims on those dogs which added up quite significantly. They had small impulse retail like bully sticks and easy treats and most owner bought something cheap on the way out. Self Washes were $12 for small dogs and $18 for large ones, yet the average customer ticket was typically $25 since some got treats and some got nail trims. Retail staff serviced 4 tubs at a time and most owners didn't stay until the dogs were dry, so they were in and out in about 30 per tub. It makes for an opportunity of 8 dogs per hour for 1 staff member, which is a lot more than a groomer can do. You just have to be in the right location. The one I worked at was below a wealthy apartment complex and not too far from Lake Michigan, so folks walked from the beach and washed their dogs before going home.

Comment

Originally posted by SetterGirl View Post
          The article mentioned that they also do full service washes with a monthly package and regular grooming pay per service as well. That being said, I worked at a very successful self wash in Chicago (they had 4 Chicago locations) that easily did 30 washes per weekend day at our location. We also did nail trims on those dogs which added up quite significantly. They had small impulse retail like bully sticks and easy treats and most owner bought something cheap on the way out. Self Washes were $12 for small dogs and $18 for large ones, yet the average customer ticket was typically $25 since some got treats and some got nail trims. Retail staff serviced 4 tubs at a time and most owners didn't stay until the dogs were dry, so they were in and out in about 30 per tub. It makes for an opportunity of 8 dogs per hour for 1 staff member, which is a lot more than a groomer can do. You just have to be in the right location. The one I worked at was below a wealthy apartment complex and not too far from Lake Michigan, so folks walked from the beach and washed their dogs before going home.
          Self service works best near beaches for sure especially where its warm to hot year round. Still not sure why they weigh them right away, something I would not do. Agree some customers could be put off by that. In southern California at least when I was there by the beaches they had FAST full service baths, or tubs for self-service. No appt needed. They did very well for those self service owners that didn't want to do the bath, but didn't need groom, and they wanted immediate bath and out. No waiting more than 10 minutes a bath service.

Comment

I would never weigh customers' dogs.

Comment

Working...
            X