Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debate: Can I handle a hand stripped Airedale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate: Can I handle a hand stripped Airedale?

A potential new customer is asking if I hand strip Airedales. Would love the challenge but am nervous about my ability to handle it. I have limited training and experience in hand stripping. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I do one monthly. Takes upward of 3 hrs with several table breaks for the dog. Charge accordingly. Basically the price of 3 (1) hour grooms.

Comment

Have you seen the Airedale? They have gotten smaller over the years but I agree about 3 hours is right.

Comment

Hmm. I'm mobile so can't really take breaks. Owner says she's been having the dogs's body stripped but the legs clippered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on exactly how limited your experience and education. I've been to one stripping seminar and have a small handful of clients of mixed breeds and Border Terriers who get full-body strips. I've yet to strip a pattern, so I would not be ready for this order.

Comment

Let me tell you that it will not be worth it in mobile. I do this Airedale in my shop, not my vans which cannot afford to be running a generator 3 hours for 1 single dog. I'd have to charge over 200 in mobile to make it worth it. I highly doubt the owner would be willing to pay that. Maybe talk him into doing a full clipper cut. It will look just as good. Even the one I do I feel is not worth hand stripping. It does not show and to the untrained eye, it will look exactly the same.

Comment

We used to charge about $180 when we offered hand stripping for a dog of this size.

Comment

Working...
              X