Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice

So long story short..
    Worked with a friend who inherited a grooming business.. she wanted out so I started buying the business from her. Payments for a sum of 30,000$.

Had it for 2. 5 months.. while I've had it I've learned of bad reputation that she has earned with the name..
    Been working on getting business established again, going great. Through conversation with her I feel she's trying to figure a way to take back the business.
    It's always something and now it's I have to subject myself to property, equipment, and customer inspections .. if she don't feel like its good enough she can take back the business.

I have to sign a new contract or relinquish business.

What should I do..

I can either sign the contract and hope for the next 2years there's no loop hole that she can pull and deal with her stress.

Or go home.
    Cons being, many customers may not follow, irrate her, my home is within a mile from the building, and I've never worked from home..

Need advice on what your opinion is and how to groom at home successfully..

Do you have a contract in place? If so how can she make you sign a new one?

If you have a contract in place, I would tell her no inspections, no nothing. If I don't pay you then you can have the business back, if not, back off.

OR. If you don't have much invested so far, tell her to give you back what you've paid and it's hers to keep.

Comment

Yes there was an initial contract that was signed but not notarized.. and we agreed to redo it to cover more and detail more..

Comment

Get a lawyer!! If you can't afford a private lawyer your legal aid office will help. NEVER sign a contract without legal assistance.

Comment

Well it's a little late now, my choices are sign the new one which I can get a lawyer for.. or give business back...

Comment

You have signed a contract, even if it wasn't notarized you can still fight for it. Even verbal contracts can be upheld sometimes, so a written and signed one should have an edge.

Comment

A contract can be written with crayon on toilet paper, as long as it has both signatures on it and dated, it doesn't need to be notarized. You did a very stupid thing by not going first to an attorney to draw up the agreement. If I'm not mistaken, and I have no idea how you worded your contract, you become the owner and she becomes the employee the minute you start to pay her monthly payments. You are responsible for everything, including changing the name of the salon, if you so wish to. I have no idea why you guys agreed to do another contract ????? Soooooooo, gather up your crayons and toilet paper and go see an attorney before you enter another confusing agreement.

Happy doing it right

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenAuslan View Post
                Well it's a little late now, my choices are sign the new one which I can get a lawyer for.. or give business back...
                not your only choices. you DO NOT have to sign anything. SHE would have to sue you to get the business back if you have a contract. You need an attorney, but if you have lived up to YOUR END of the con tract then you are the one holding the cards not here. NOTHING that is not in writing matters. ONLY what is in the confines of the sheet of paper
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

A signed contract in place means she has relinquished control of the business and any decisions regarding running this business to you. Do not let her bamboozle you into renegotiating or signing anything! You need to sort out what you've already gotten yourself into. Get an attorney now!!!

Comment

You do have other options. For some reason, you seem to have the attitude that you are under the and subservient to this person. If you haven't already noticed, she is not your friend. Friends don't treat friends this way. So, starting from scratch, you would treat her as if she were any other businessperson you were doing business with. Does that make sense?
                    I think you are making assumptions. Instead of assuming you know what a lawyer can and can not do, talk to one. Maybe you're right. Maybe you're not. But this is too big a decision to be left to your own instincts, especially since your instincts so far have not helped you. Good luck!

Comment

YEAH!!!1!eleventy11!

This thread has me all pumped. Good luck, LaurenAuslan. I do agree that an attorney might be prudent in future contract negotiations. Most attorneys will use actual ink and paper rather than crayons and toilet paper. Ditch the attorney who tries that.

Comment

At this point I'm considering ending it all and go home.. I'm trying to see where it's worth the stress of dealing with her for another 2 years and paying her a lot of money for customers that won't even come back because of her.. and equipment that need to be replaced before I even finish paying for it

Comment

YOU NEED A LAWYER NOW!! Get informed.
                          Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Does the contract you both signed let you walk away without owing the rest of the money?
                            You don't want her coming after you. I still suggest you see a lawyer. You can discuss the best way to get out of the deal.
                            This is an expensive lesson you are learning. I wish you well.

Comment

Yeah lessoned learned to not trust anyone and I did this solely out of helping her!
                              But yes the contract originally allows me to walk away

Comment

Working...
                              X