What books do you recommended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books do you recommended?

I want to get some books, since all I own at the moment is Notes From The Grooming Table. I have been wanting to get a good collection of books and reference material together for a couple years now, and am starting with my christmas money to get it going.

I am essentially looking for anything that will help in this career type. Right now I am at a corp, a salon manager, and very newly a mentor. Anything that could help me learn to groom better, be more efficient, teach better, and understand things more in depth would be great. I do not have the urge to go mobile at this time, but having my own shop would be nice some day. So books to better understand the business side of this would be great too. I thought about a veterinary book for reference, and because I have contemplated going for vet tech at some point.

So what books would you suggest I have as part of my collection?

Melissa Verplank's "Theory of five" is very good. Also, Jodi Murphy's "Dog grooming simplified"

Comment

Agreed!

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
      Melissa Verplank's "Theory of five" is very good. Also, Jodi Murphy's "Dog grooming simplified"
      I second the Jodi Murphy book! I got that one for Christmas myself.... But I never wrapped it because I couldn't put it down! I really want the Theory of Five....I think I will order it tonight!

Comment

I have both of Melissa's books and Jody's Simplified book. I would also add Sam Kohl's All Breed Grooming Giuseppe and the l a test AKC breed guide.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

I have owned all the books mentioned above. Over the years I grabbed Melissa verplanks because it had " clipper lines " and " blend/ transition lines " which was very helpful when I was new. Jody new book is all shown on real purebred dogs, on real photos not drawings. And she has broken it down to general patterns for types: such as " sporting breed " etc ( I am trying to remember the terms), which is helpful for remembering lines. I wouldn't think this book is as helpful to a brand new groomer.
          If your looking for books, magazines and DVD's on how to set the lines for alternate styles like Asian Fusion, I recommend either Olga modern styles magazine or Riza Wisnom book " complete guide to Asian style grooming " http://www.canadiangroomingdistribut..._%26_DVDs.html

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

After 'Notes', 'Theory of Five' is imperative. If you to a lot of true breed clips than the sam kohl or Jodi Murphy books are true needs.
            I Haven't purchased the Jodi Murphy book yet but its on the wish list for the first of the year.

Comment

Note and Theory are essential. Jodi's Simplified is the most beautiful grooming book. I got it after someone said here they put on their coffee table. It has all the instruction but the photos are jaw dropping. I spent hours looking at the dogs in it. Stunning. So get them all. These are the top three.

Comment

These are top three and yes, there is nothing like Jodi's for viewing amazing dogs.

Comment

Great! Theory of Five was on my list. Grooming simplified I have looked at as well. I will also look into those asian fusion materials, Itza, the thanks!!

Comment

Good recommendation. Awesome beautiful wow look at those dogs! Right on the coffee table.

Originally posted by TootsiePie View Post
                    Note and Theory are essential. Jodi's Simplified is the most beautiful grooming book. I got it after someone said here they put on their coffee table. It has all the instruction but the photos are jaw dropping. I spent hours looking at the dogs in it. Stunning. So get them all. These are the top three.

Comment

Update: Started off with Theory of Five from Melissa Verplank, just did my first read straight through and I must say, I wish I had gotten this one sooner. Lots of wonderful information with great illustrations and photos really help. This way of thinking and applying the grooming techniques is really going to help with efficiency!
                      I will be grabbing more books as I place more orders. I admit I got distracted with buying more tools this round instead of just focusing on books =P but I am ok with it.
                      Anyone else have any input on books and learning materials that hasn't been mentioned, please post! I love all the feedback I can get here. =D
                      Last edited by kaida714; 01-21-16, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I love the books too but don't know any other ones that are current. I got a couple of the grooming box books and love them.

Comment

Working...
                        X