Oh No...RINGWORM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh No...RINGWORM!

Just found it on dog's back under hair after bathing and drying( several areas)....this dog always has skin trouble so took me a few swipes to realize what it was....called the owner to come get it and refuse to do dog #2. I have bathed myself and everything dog touched in bleach and disinfectant.

Get some Lamasil cream in case you get any lesions. I got this from some kittens we rescued at a previous job at an animal sanctuary before I became a groomer. I had them pop up in the weirdest places like the dead center of my back that really had no direct contact. I had it for months because I was still caring for the kittens and it took a while to cure them of it but I covered all the bumps I got with lamasil + bandaid and avoided spreading it to anyone else.

Comment

Tea Tree oil works great for ringworm. Hopefully you didn't catch it and won't have to worry about treatment. Curious though, did you just think it was ringworm from looking at it? Sometimes things can be confused for one thing when they are something else. The only way to confirm ringworm is exposing it to a black light and seeing if it's reactive. Cat urine lights work good for this. Otherwise it may have been something else.
      It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
        Tea Tree oil works great for ringworm. Hopefully you didn't catch it and won't have to worry about treatment. Curious though, did you just think it was ringworm from looking at it? Sometimes things can be confused for one thing when they are something else. The only way to confirm ringworm is exposing it to a black light and seeing if it's reactive. Cat urine lights work good for this. Otherwise it may have been something else.
        Good question. How do you really know what you are looking at without the black light or a vet confirming it?
        Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

I'm guessing........however, I have had it myself before and what I had looks amazingly like what is on this dog's back. These 2 dogs are eat up with some kind of horrible crud and always have been since I have been grooming them, but what I saw today was new, and when I saw it a little voice told me to stop the groom and get the bleach. I can't be sure this is ringworm but thanks for the medication recommendations if something does pop up on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Countrygrl View Post
            I'm guessing........however, I have had it myself before and what I had looks amazingly like what is on this dog's back. These 2 dogs are eat up with some kind of horrible crud and always have been since I have been grooming them, but what I saw today was new, and when I saw it a little voice told me to stop the groom and get the bleach. I can't be sure this is ringworm but thanks for the medication recommendations if something does pop up on me.
            Of you have had/seen ring worm......you know what it is.
            Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Thanks Cyn. The episode I had lasted months and several worthless trips to the Dr. Nothing helped. By chance I showed it to a nurse practitioner friend who told me to get a bottle of Oregano Oil from North American Herb and Spice and apply it twice a day.....it took 2 weeks but I started seeing some change in a couple of days.....do not want to go there again. Feel so sad for these 2 dogs...I don't think owner vets them at all, and I have encouraged him to take them several times.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                Of you have had/seen ring worm......you know what it is.
                Sorry Cyn, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Now I'm not saying she's not correct in the fact that it is ringworm, I'm saying she should do something to confirm the suspicion. The reason why is because when my son was a year and a had what I thought was eczema. Took him to the pediatrician and we seen the PA. He said "oh no, that's ringworm." Huh? I asked him to confirm it with the black light and was told they didn't have it currently handy but he took out a medical book and shown me pictures convincing me that it was ringworm which doesn't always present itself with the tell tale ring.
                So we took our little boy home and began treating with Tea tree oil as we always have a bottle in the house. After almost a week it was not getting better and if anything looked worse. Took him back to pediatrician and this time stated that we wanted to see the actual Dr. She took one look and said, That's not ringworm, it's Eczema." This time taking the black light to show it was not reactive. Poor kid went through a week of hell putting tea tree oil on an eczema rash. Started Aveeno lotion and oatmeal baths and it cleared up in about 2 days. Needless to say, I double check everything despite if I'm 99% sure it's ringworm or otherwise. Not saying Country girls has this belief, but I find a lot of people think all ring worm cases present as the red ring, which in pets is usually not the case.
                I do agree though , whether it turns out to be ring worm or not, Country Girl did the right thing to err on the side of caution and send the pet home and disinfect everything thoroughly.
                It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
                  Sorry Cyn, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Now I'm not saying she's not correct in the fact that it is ringworm, I'm saying she should do something to confirm the suspicion. The reason why is because when my son was a year and a had what I thought was eczema. Took him to the pediatrician and we seen the PA. He said "oh no, that's ringworm." Huh? I asked him to confirm it with the black light and was told they didn't have it currently handy but he took out a medical book and shown me pictures convincing me that it was ringworm which doesn't always present itself with the tell tale ring.
                  So we took our little boy home and began treating with Tea tree oil as we always have a bottle in the house. After almost a week it was not getting better and if anything looked worse. Took him back to pediatrician and this time stated that we wanted to see the actual Dr. She took one look and said, That's not ringworm, it's Eczema." This time taking the black light to show it was not reactive. Poor kid went through a week of hell putting tea tree oil on an eczema rash. Started Aveeno lotion and oatmeal baths and it cleared up in about 2 days. Needless to say, I double check everything despite if I'm 99% sure it's ringworm or otherwise. Not saying Country girls has this belief, but I find a lot of people think all ring worm cases present as the red ring, which in pets is usually not the case.
                  I do agree though , whether it turns out to be ring worm or not, Country Girl did the right thing to err on the side of caution and send the pet home and disinfect everything thoroughly.
                  And I think we can agree to disagree, lol. Countrygrl has been there and done that ad so have I.
                  Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                  X