refusing to do an agressive dog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refusing to do an agressive dog.

I tried to groom this dog 3 times at another shop. Saw that is was coming in on Tuesday. Told owner that I tried 3 times and that I was not going to groom the dog.
    Shop owner who is a groomer also told me not to come to work Tuesday and that she will groom all the dogs. This owner is grooming at another shop because this shop is
    not making it. I am the only groomer and the owner. So since she is not grooming at her other job and to work at her shop I can't ?
    Since she is giving me a 1099 form can she make me groom dog that I feel not comfortable grooming. I don't think that she can tell what days to work.

I got lost where you said you're the only groomer and the owner after stating that someone else is. It seems like you don't want to even try to help that dog. which is your right, but flat out telling your employer you're refusing to do your job is grounds for termination in many places.

I always tell shop owners/mangers and owners that I will ALWAYS try my best but if it comes down to being a safety risk I can't morally continue. now personally, I'm one of those groomers that grooms difficult dogs others can't. To this day I haven't met a red zone case that couldn't be finished, just takes time, understanding and patience. I've taken dogs off of other groomers tables who had given up and I was able to do it. especially if the shop is in jeopardy every client counts, i can imagine the owner being worried about your work ethic, as not every dog will be easy.

I wouldn't make to much of a fuss over it, if the dog is truly hard to handle the owner won't pay much mind to this incident but may have some words to say. The only real way to hand select your own clients is to own your own business. when you're an employee you have to fulfill the requirements set by the owner, if part of your employment terms include walking in a circle for an hour than refusing to do so would be breach of contract. Do you pay table rent? if you do you can totally refuse any dog

Comment

So much wrong here that her telling you not to come un is the least of it. You are a misclassified employee. Otherwise you would not consider her the boss (cause she isn't ) and younwould be setting hours. Appts. Prices. Paying HER not the other way...like I said more problems than this.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

If you get 1099 from her she is NOT your employer and cannot tell you what days to work and which dogs to groom. If done legally, you are an IC and make your own appointments, prices, hours, etc.
        But it sounds like a fake IC situation where you "employer" saves by not paying her portion of your taxes while still telling you what to do, e.g., treating you like an employee.

Comment

Lol. Parti took the words right out of my mouth. I actually had to read this twice just to sort it all out! If you are 1099 then you are supposed to be an independent contractor which means you have a written contract in place with this person and are your own boss with a key to the salon to come and go anytime you need to (usually during shopping center hours), set your own grooming hours, book your own clientele, have your own phone for your clients, pay your taxes quarterly and pay her a monthly table/booth rental as agreed to in your written contract. Since she controls all of this, she is your employer and you are an employee. You should be W-2. Just wait till April 15th...then you'll better understand. All that aside, you should never be made to groom a dog you feel is beyond your skill set. It never ends well.

Comment

Sorry if my post is confusing, I was still upset from talking with her. I should of said I groomed this dog 3 times and it just keep getting more aggressive. When I came to work for her
            she told me she paid 50% . The day I started I asked to fill out my w4 form. She said "I give you a 1099, I can't afford payroll taxes . If you want a bather to bath your groom dogs you have to
            pay her $5 to $10 a dog" So I have to pay the bather. So I'm getting like 40% with paying a bather. Plus I brought my own clients. The more I write this the more I want to give my notice. I've only worked there a month. I'll be nice and not leave before xmas. Since she can't pay the bills on her own shop she is grooming dogs at a shop in another town. Weird.

Comment

I would look for better work immediately, if you have enough of your own clients you might be better off renting table space or renting a mobile and being truly IC, I think 50% is too much to give per groom on that basis. ( I can't say much about the bather situation as I don't let others bathe my dogs for the most part as they simply don't work as good as I do.) now as an employee which in this case, you totally are you're entitled to at least minimum wage, and the employer then can offer other ways of compensation. However a shop owner can't play both sides as they please. It's not only tripping over dollars to pick up nickels it's a great way to end up making the business pay every dime of the misc ICs taxes, as well as open themselves up to lawsuits. the people at the IRS aren't huge fans of businesses fraudulently trying to skirt their way out of their fair share of taxes.

my best advice is find a place you're happy to groom at, it doesn't sound like this owner is on the ball.

Comment

I don't understand, you are employee you don't have to pay another employee, why isn't she working alone if she can't afford an employee?
                I wouldn't like to work in a shop where I barely know how much I'll be paid, depending on how many dogs I'll groom.
                As long as you still can maybe changing of shop is a better option for you!

Comment

You are living in the world of the "Fake IC". This owner simply wants it both ways and to have everything to HER advantage. She wants all the tax advantages but she also wants all the control. Can't have it both ways. I would tell her to pick one and if she doesn't I would give my notice. Don't feel sorry for her. SHE IS CHEATING YOU! This stunt was tried on me in a previous shop and MY accountant set me straight because I was clueless on this subject. An independent contractor owns their own business and pays a rental fee to the property owner. YOU ARE AN EMPLOYEE being force to pay all your taxes, illegally! As to the dog, if you don't want to do it and don't feet comfortable don't, but like the other groomers here said ....doing this dog is the least of your worries.

Comment

I say get out ASAP. I had an employer like that once. I started working for her after an agreement on pay/hours and responsibilities. After a week she started saying, "Well I can't pay you that much." or " I can only give you part-time hour." I stayed less than a month before I jumped ship.
                    I disagree with some other comments about telling her to "pick one" or to talk to her. Normally I would say yes, try to work something out, but in my experience a tiger doesn't change their stripes. This is the type of business owner that she is and even if she did agree to something there would only be some other issue to arise later on I'm sure.
                    Parti hit the nail on the head. You have way bigger problems here than just refusing the groom a dog.
                    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                    Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Like all have said she is acting like an employer, and is, and has illegally classified you as a 1099 groomer. Remember you have to pay in lots more taxes get registered as a self employed person if you accept a 1099 including business insurance and you may have business taxes to pay too.

Comment

Originally posted by blingwithfur View Post
                        Like all have said she is acting like an employer, and is, and has illegally classified you as a 1099 groomer. Remember you have to pay in lots more taxes get registered as a self employed person if you accept a 1099 including business insurance and you may have business taxes to pay too.
                        Also, since you don't have a W4, you're not covered under workers compensation. If you get injured on the job, she's not liable. If you injure a dog, she's not liable for that either. You are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I cannot imagine asking any groomer to do a dog they have fear for. What a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                          X