I got my first fruitcake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my first fruitcake!

It finally happened. I got a fruitcake, not homemade. I just don't like them and none of my bathers wanted it either. Made me think of the doorstop joke, just might work as one.

I know, it is the thought that counts, and it does. But I did get a chuckle.

Give it to your local Food Bank, or to a charity and/or church that feeds the poor and homeless.......they would love it.

I remember my Mom making a fruitcake months before X-mas, and having it soaking in rum......bet you wouldn't throw that baby away !!!

Happy eating Mom's cake

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Lol. Fruitcake! You either love it or not. Me...not! I like Dolly ' s idea of donating it to the food bank. BTW Dolly, if you care to share that rum soaked recipe in a PM, my husband goes on about his German grandma's rum soaked fruitcake that no one in his family seems to know how to make since her passing.

Comment

Funny since I was just asking my mother why she loves fruit cake so much. Back in her day @1950 the ingredients were so expensive you only ever got a tiny piece at weddings, and it was so rich and considered a treat. She chose that for her wedding cake even. So it's a bit of a era thing. Too sweet for me. Mom also says to poke holes in it run rum or whisky over it and let it sit a month. Apparently the ones made in England are best tasting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Things get caught in my teeth!

Comment

I wish someone would give me a fruitcake!!! Delicious!
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Was it an "old" type fruitcake with that candied red and green stuff or a "new" version with pinapples? I love the new version......soaked in rum of course��
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Yep, it's an era thing. My late grandmother would make probably 100 fruitcakes every year starting thanksgiving to give to all her church ladies and family and friends. They were delicious btw. Never had a store bought one. I always loved helping her make them. She would always tell me how lucky I was to be able to have these year round if I wanted, bc yes, in the 50s, they were expensive to make and were a treat for special occasions.

Comment

I like them too. I haven't had the pineapple ones. Thanks for the heads-up Cyn. I'll check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                    Give it to your local Food Bank, or to a charity and/or church that feeds the poor and homeless.......they would love it.

I remember my Mom making a fruitcake months before X-mas, and having it soaking in rum......bet you wouldn't throw that baby away !!!

Happy eating Mom's cake

Great idea Dolly!
                    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                    Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
                      Lol. Fruitcake! You either love it or not. Me...not! I like Dolly ' s idea of donating it to the food bank. BTW Dolly, if you care to share that rum soaked recipe in a PM, my husband goes on about his German grandma's rum soaked fruitcake that no one in his family seems to know how to make since her passing.
                      Unfortunately, the recipe has been lost since Mom hasn't made one since the mid-late 1950's. If you Google "rum fruitcake" you will get a lot of wonderful hits, even a YouTube on the preparations of fruitcake making. Also instructions on how to put the rum on the cake.

Happy sipping from the bottle before it hits the cake

Comment

I didn't think I liked them either until one of my clients introduced me to Collin Street Bakery fruitcakes a few years ago. This year it's strawberry pecan. Yum! Another client brought me a homemade stollen, which I appreciate but don't particularly care for. The bakery cake doesn't look like it has any food coloring in it, unlike the grocery store candied fruit in the stollen. No fruit should be that green.

Comment

There're some handmade WITH the candied fruits Made almost one by one during weeks and weeks of preparing and multiple baking are excellent you can even eat them like a candy and will be a waste to put them in a cake lol
                          I had fruits paste once but was not that delicious

Comment

I have a hard time with the fruits, it's like gummy things like gummy bears, just weird texture. Nope, LOL

Comment

This is one quirky fun thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X