Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paula Sims - Life Sentence for Her Daughters Deaths Seeks Clemency, Will be Groomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paula Sims - Life Sentence for Her Daughters Deaths Seeks Clemency, Will be Groomer

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article49858500.html

Paula Sims, serving a life sentence in the deaths of her two baby daughters in the 1980s, is asking Gov. Bruce Rauner for clemency.

Sims' attorney argues in a 60-page petition that the former Alton woman suffered from postpartum psychosis at the time the babies died, one in 1986 and the other in 1989. Attorney Jed Stone said Sims, now 56, was psychotic and delusional and that keeping her in jail "would only be vengeful." Sims last used the psychosis argument during a failed bid for a new trial in 1999.

"It is awful to think of these innocent lives that will not be lived," Stone wrote. "It is also awful to overlook the underlying and very treatable cause — postpartum psychosis."

Sims was convicted in 1990 of first-degree murder and later pleaded guilty to charges in the death of the other daughter. A fisherman found her 6-week-old daughter Heather in a trash can in 1989. Her daughter Loralei was less than two weeks old when she died in 1986. Sims told investigators in both cases that a masked man stole the babies.

The case made national headlines and was followed by a book and television movie.

SIMS WAS DENIED CLEMENCY ONCE BEFORE, IN 2006

Sims' petition, mailed to the Illinois Prisoner Review Board in late October, says Sims has friends who will take her in if she is released from the Logan Correctional Center in Lincoln and she will pursue work as a pet groomer.................
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

I'm speechless.

Comment

Wow...just...wow!

Comment

The only thing that really gets me with this story and situation is that her new employment is working with living animals, I just don't know about that and if so, I would hope there is extreme supervision.

Comment

More on Paula Sims....male only

http://www.bnd.com/opinion/editorial...e50247840.html
          Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

I don't know what I am really feeling about this whole thing, but none of the feelings are good. I know many people would not likely want her to groom their dogs. Male only?

Comment

That is what I agree with her that is creepy. Why work with living things so soon. Assembly line manufacturing perhaps, but working with living creatures. So many dogs are like babies, this is a bit creepy.

Comment

See what I mean, groomers might understand if this is something creepy. Why working with creatures, with the innocence of babes, OMG the more I think about it I don't think they get it, whomever is allowing this. Put her working with things not living, at risk.

Comment

I have seen nice people get borderline nasty with difficult dogs. I've heard of a good groomer throwing a dog with some anger into a kennel. I have gotten irate with a dog but I know when to give me and the puppy a break but even. That simple act is hard to do if you're under a time crunch. I wonder if this woman has the ability to know when to step back and decompress. I would hope that she train with someone who can teach her how to not become overly stressed and can work somewhere where good, humane grooms are valued over how many dogs you can groom in a day.

I am a believer in second chances and new beginnings. My current life is based on a new birthday. I think she deserves a chance but my biggest concern is that she get the support necessary to facilitate this change.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X