Choosing between 2 places to work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing between 2 places to work!

Hi all! So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Currently work at a private shop, and when I last went to the vet for a checkup on my they asked if I knew anyone looking for a full time grooming job. My 1st thoughts were that it would be nice to work closer to home, so I applied. Been going back and forth with the pros and cons of each place, and I'm looking for insight or anything I may be overlooking, because it's a big decision!

~Private Shop 50% commission
    Pros-
    High Prices
    Great tips
    High Volume
    Bather

Cons-
    Shop drama, listening to negative talk
    Not getting booked fairly/evenly
    Farther commute
    Dogs not bathed/dried well sometimes

~Vet 60% commission
    Pros-
    Close to home
    Only groomer/"my" clientele and space
    Promoting me
    Setting own schedule

Cons-
    Lower prices
    Not as busy
    Bathe own dogs
    Difficult dogs (ones recommended for tranquilizers)
    Outdated grooming table/smaller tub

~Both have health benefits and receptionists

I think the thing that has made me really think it over is going from working with others to myself, which would be nice. Any thoughts welcome! Thank you!!

If they offer discounted vet services to your personal dogs, that might be a determining factor. If they truly would like you to work there, maybe they could update their equipment?

Comment

Discounted vet services didn't even cross my mind, awesome you pointed that out! Not much health stuff going on with my pup, just the routine checkups and dentals. If there were an emergency it'd be great to know it wouldn't break the bank.
      Would definitely need a new table, tub is pretty small. I can ask if that's something they could take care of

Comment

You say the vets prices are lower than at private salon, but how much lower? Will 10% more in commission cover it? Also, at the vet, since you are the only groomer, can't you set your own prices? Or at least rise them gradually. And you will build you clientele eventually.
        Personally, I would choose the shorter commute, consider wear and tear on your car. So, looks like working at the vet is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
          You say the vets prices are lower than at private salon, but how much lower? Will 10% more in commission cover it? Also, at the vet, since you are the only groomer, can't you set your own prices? Or at least rise them gradually. And you will build you clientele eventually.
          Personally, I would choose the shorter commute, consider wear and tear on your car. So, looks like working at the vet is the way to go.
          Agree with all the above.
          It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

To be honest, getting way from the negative atmosphere at the private salon is worth a lot. I'm leaving my salon to work in a much smaller salon that's a much longer commute. I'm looking forward to getting away from the drama and negative attitude from one groomer in particular. When one says that they hate a dog or a cut every single day, maybe it's time for a change.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless there was a significant difference in pay and benefits, drama and bull-poo would be the deal breakers for me. I can tune people out pretty well if I need to, but I prefer to be around people who are not dramatic and conflicty. You know, if I have to be around people at all.

Comment

Tell the vet that you are very interested in the position and start the negotiations.

Comment

Which situation has the least amount of stress?

Comment

Quote=ABDG;675433]You say the vets prices are lower than at private salon, but how much lower? Will 10% more in commission cover it? Also, at the vet, since you are the only groomer, can't you set your own prices? Or at least rise them gradually. And you will build you clientele eventually.
                    Personally, I would choose the shorter commute, consider wear and tear on your car. So, looks like working at the vet is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

The vet has been *incredibly* transparent with me, which I appreciate a lot. He said he knows I already work somewhere else and knows I need to make a living, so its nice to see what previous groomers have made. Its pretty much exactly what I make right now, except I pay a bather right now. If I didn't pay a bather i'd make more.. so if anything i'd be making a little less at the vets. I am aloowed to raise prices or set my own.. excellent point I hadn't considered!!
                    Totally would be awesome to only have to drive a few miles to work, my car would be happier

Comment

Originally posted by Dragynwing View Post
                      To be honest, getting way from the negative atmosphere at the private salon is worth a lot. I'm leaving my salon to work in a much smaller salon that's a much longer commute. I'm looking forward to getting away from the drama and negative attitude from one groomer in particular. When one says that they hate a dog or a cut every single day, maybe it's time for a change.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
                      Totalllly!!! That's one of the huge perks that has stood out to me, being in my own little space away from people like that. I have all these little things in my head like oh you'll have to work harder (bathing, drying) but it'll just be ME being with the dogs, instead of all that other nonsense from others. Thank you for affirming that for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Totally Clips View Post
                        Unless there was a significant difference in pay and benefits, drama and bull-poo would be the deal breakers for me. I can tune people out pretty well if I need to, but I prefer to be around people who are not dramatic and conflicty. You know, if I have to be around people at all.
                        Hehehehe!! I hear ya on that.. I can "tolerate" listening to them.. but definitely don't prefer it!!

Comment

Study it all and go with your heart, not your thinking.

Comment

Working...
                          X