Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very, very concerning for everyone...everywhere...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very, very concerning for everyone...everywhere...

I find this very upsetting for us, as groomers, and for dog owners everywhere. Once the ball starts rolling, it's hard to stop it. Please read this and pay special attention to the paragraph about grooming.

http://joeforamerica.com/2015/12/wal...ill-walk-dogs/

I'm not worried, "tethers" make life easier but I can groom without them.. i wonder what the law is on a dog giving off wifi to another dog..

Comment

I am not quite sure why they passed this law, what is it trying to accomplish. But another question is: how is it going to be enforced? Who is going to monitor how long the dog was walked in a 24-hour period? Ar they going to implant GPS with timers in every dog??

Comment

I have a feeling it may be used to deal with grudges against neighbors or unfortunately, against groomers. Taking videos of dogs being walked, with time stamps on the videos is pretty easy. All it takes is one call to law enforcement...

Personally it doesn't effect me...at least not yet. I'm afraid once a law like this passed in some states, it will become law in others. But how many of us ALWAYS use some sort of grooming loop? The way the law is written, we couldn't even use a restraining loop while we're bathing the dog...

Comment

I read the law because the article links to it. Grooming loops and long walks are fine. Owners just can't tie their dog to a pole or a tree or whatever and go away for longer than an hour. My guess is that there were barking dog complaints due to tethering dogs in the yard -- because bored dogs can bark a lot -- or that sometimes dogs got loose and ran into traffic or scared people who were walking by. In one place I lived, a woman tied her pit bull to a tree in her small yard and went away for the weekend. She didn't have a fence. So kids walking by could go right up to the dog and tease it, and the dog could be stolen to be used for breeding. Not a great situation.
          Animal control officers need laws because otherwise it's just their opinion against the dog's owner, which would be fine except that there are situations where owners innocently do things that put dogs or people in danger or distress. A lot of animal control officers make a big effort to find solutions that work for everyone. They are not the evil villains we see in cartoons

“It shall be unlawful for any person to tether a dog for more than one hour cumulatively within any 24 hour period, whether or not the tethered dog has been provided adequate space as defined in the Code of Virginia, § 3.2-6500, as amended, unless the dog is under the direct supervision and control of its owner or custodian.”

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
            I read the law because the article links to it. Grooming loops and long walks are fine. Owners just can't tie their dog to a pole or a tree or whatever and go away for longer than an hour. My guess is that there were barking dog complaints due to tethering dogs in the yard -- because bored dogs can bark a lot -- or that sometimes dogs got loose and ran into traffic or scared people who were walking by. In one place I lived, a woman tied her pit bull to a tree in her small yard and went away for the weekend. She didn't have a fence. So kids walking by could go right up to the dog and tease it, and the dog could be stolen to be used for breeding. Not a great situation.
            Animal control officers need laws because otherwise it's just their opinion against the dog's owner, which would be fine except that there are situations where owners innocently do things that put dogs or people in danger or distress. A lot of animal control officers make a big effort to find solutions that work for everyone. They are not the evil villains we see in cartoons

“It shall be unlawful for any person to tether a dog for more than one hour cumulatively within any 24 hour period, whether or not the tethered dog has been provided adequate space as defined in the Code of Virginia, § 3.2-6500, as amended, unless the dog is under the direct supervision and control of its owner or custodian.”
            Now that makes much more sense.
            It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
            Henry David Thoreau

Comment

The article is fearmongering . That law is very very clear and has nothing to do with the things they say. It has been clarified and amended. Been going on fo r a year or so. Bad th ing is a duplication of thw federal anti tethering law so its a waste of time and paper
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Yea, this is meant for dogs tied outside. The article is sensationalism, trying to scare people. The law much more reasonable then what they made it sound like.

Comment

Does anyone here take Joe the Plumber or anyone associated with him seriously? Fear mongering. No one will take your dogs or firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                    Does anyone here take Joe the Plumber or anyone associated with him seriously? Fear mongering. No one will take your dogs or firearms.
                    And more and more and more of this will come up as 2016 is a big election year. You are right, nothing but fear mongering for the most part. This is politically driven to cause furor and fear among people.

Comment

Fear mongering is correct.....just like the similar commercial.
                      Last edited by Cyn; 12-07-15, 05:09 PM.
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                        Exactly. Always consider the source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
                          My concern is that the law is badly written, too many loopholes. When a lawyer looks at the above statement, tethering is not adequately defined. Technically, when we use a grooming loop, we are tethering a dog. If someone wanted to go after a groomer for animal cruelty (and we all know there are owners that are like that when it comes down to money), this statement would leave that wide open for litigation. Just a bad, bad law...

Comment

I use NO grooming loop on table or in tub. Train your dogs to not need a loop IF you are worried.
                            Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Cyn, how do you train dogs to stay put on a table when you only see them once every 3 months and they don't even know how to walk on a leash???

Comment

Working...
                              X