Dog Leashes and Collars??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Leashes and Collars??

When a customer comes in to your store, and you take off the leash and collar, what do you do with them? Do you keep the collar on them the whole time? Do you choose 1 crate they stay in during their entire process and clip the leash/collar to the crate door?
    What are your solutions for organizing dog leashes and collars while at the grooming shop?
    I'm new to my salon, and I don't like that we just have them all piled up on a table behind reception. I've been looking for solutions for weeks, and no one talks about this aspect of the process.

We have cute "woof" hanger on the wall next to the door to the grooming room. We hang the collars there with a folded sticky note attached with the dogs name on the collar.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaggyJackie View Post
      When a customer comes in to your store, and you take off the leash and collar, what do you do with them? Do you keep the collar on them the whole time? Do you choose 1 crate they stay in during their entire process and clip the leash/collar to the crate door?
      What are your solutions for organizing dog leashes and collars while at the grooming shop?
      I'm new to my salon, and I don't like that we just have them all piled up on a table behind reception. I've been looking for solutions for weeks, and no one talks about this aspect of the process.
      I have hooks and clips next to my table where I hang customer cards and I put the leash/collar with that dogs card so that I don't lose it. If it is a daycare dog then the collar/leash is hung up with a sticky note in the kennel area.

Comment

The dog immediately goes on a slip lead as I take control and collar and leash come off and are hung on hooks. I only take 1 at a time, so usually there isn't an identification problem, but I do have the option to write names below the hooks with a dry erase marker. I don't leave them on the dog for safety reasons and the slip lead prevents the dog from escaping and trying to follow the owner out the door. I've been places where they're clipped on the cage and have seen dogs attempt to eat their leashes or get their mouths stuck trying to get to the leash.

Comment

We have a white board with pegs on it we hang them on, and write their names above each peg.

Comment

Leashes and collars are either given to the owner at checkin ....or, if they don't want to take them I put each in s bag that hooks on the name/cage card clipboard for each cage. If it's too unmanageable on the cage it MAY sit inside with the pet but not usually.
            Extreme cases the bag is lsbelked and locked in an unused cage.
            They are never - never - piled together in a public area. Looks disorganized (aka tacky).

Comment

Second reply ----
              You could have a hook board with numbers to correspond to the cage numbers and hang things there. Much like a canine version of a coat check system.

Comment

When I worked at corporate store, we had plastic "pockets" attached to each kennel door where we kept paperwork on each dog along with leashes and collars. Each dog would stay in one kennel for the duration of the grooming and until it was picked up so you knew which collar and leash goes on that particular dog. Also, some salons use peg boards with numbered pegs where they can hang collars/leashes (you just need to keep track what number correspond to what dog).
                I agree, there must be some kind of system, otherwise how do you keep track of collars and leashes just piled on the table?

Comment

We give them back to the owners. I'm really strict about it too. If they want us to keep them because someone else is picking up their dog then I have slip leads that I just give away, like the ones you get at a vet's office. They only cost a few cents each.
                  It's just one less thing I need to keep track of. Helps streamline my day.

Comment

When I owned a high volume shop we had two big whiteboards with hooks.At my slower two dogs at a time shop we just kept the leashes on the lower part of the front counter on the dogs card. NEVER do they get hooked on a cage, made that mistake a few times and ended up buying the customers new leashes.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! It's not my salon, so I'm trying to work with what the owner has done for years.
                      I'd love to have a pegboard system with a basket and a dry erase label, or a plastic mail file system (like they use at Les Schwab tire). Slip the customer card and leash/collar in it's own slot or basket.

Comment

I used a board (1x6) about 4 foot long, bought a dozen hooks from wally world, screwed hooks into board evenly spaced, and screwed board onto wall. Use a key ring/clip combo I made to attach client card and hangs from the hook w/ leash and collar. Keeps everything out of the way and organized on the cheap

Comment

We have little plastic baskets that have a laminated card tied to the front. We write the dogs name on it and put all their belongings in it. I've made the mistake of hanging a collar or leash on the cage and minutes later it was chewed off. Super embarrassing to explain to owners. Before we got the baskets we were having too many things left behind when receptionist or kennel people checked dogs out.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Comment

I like putting them in a bag clipped to the cage door, and the bag prevents them from eating them through the wire cage door.

Comment

I have a board I bought from petedge years ago, it has white board and row of hooks. Because I'm small shop that has minimal overlap and most my clients don't have ton of gear it works.
                              I suggest if your bigger using some sort of index system with cubbies, or shoe organizers and the numbers on them match the number you put on kennel and that number follows dog and groom card around.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X