Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you think k dawn does a good job as a shampoo for dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you think k dawn does a good job as a shampoo for dogs?

The salon I'm at now the salon owners like the dogs washed in dawn shampoo and it seems to do a ok job. But, I worry about the quality and what it will do for the cut.

The truth is starting to come out on using petroleum based products on a daily basis. Sure, washing a wild bird once in its lifetime after an oil spill doesn't cause harm, that does not mean it is safe using one time, three times or more times a day. I have already started to see the studies, you are going to be shocked. A wild bird one time versus several times even in ONE DAY. OMG. Not Dawn alone but any petroleum based product. Look at Proposition 13 in California, LOTS of automotive workers must be warned that using petroleum products which is normal in auto work, like daily, is dangerous. These people can buy the test results they want. There are plant based substitutes just like Dawn with no petroleum based chemicals. Dawn is chemicals. And as a groomer how many times a day will you come in contact with a petroleum product, remember the wild bird only did once a in lifetime.

Anyway, I think a shop that uses Dawn as primary is well CHEAP, It does well to cut grease, but why not throw the whole industry of wonderful pet shampoo products out the door??? What about all the wonderful formulas that soothe skin, soothe itching, add vitamins, add moisture?? It's the owner's choice, it's about CHEAP in my opinion, and that's their will. But I would sure tell my customers that we use dish soap at every groom. OMG

You may think the risk is not real, but you will soon see in the next year changes in many petro chemicals humans touch daily. If you work there, take care and wear gloves.

If they use the antibacterial gold one, RUN. Read on triclosan, sorry spelling, it is a known cancer risk.

Comment

My guess is that it will dry out your hands to the point where the skin may crack, especially if you live in a place with cold winters.

Comment

I used to work for a woman who ONLY bought dawn (the blue one) for a shampoo. I absolutely hated it. Often the dogs, esp in winter, would have dry skin and my hands were constantly dry and cracked. It strips the coat of needed oils and the hair becomes dry and brittle with prolonged use. She also never bought conditioner,, so that was another issue. I would bring in my own shampoo a lot of the time and bring baby shampoo for heads as we didn't have anything that was tearless. I actually got complaints from owners saying their dog smlled like dish soap!

As far as hc quality, it does nothing to help prep the hair. And it does nothing for undercoat. Most of the dogs we did were 7 shaves, but those that did get longer clips, well I never thought they looked as nice as they could have.

The owner was a nice lady, but cheap. If she had just raised her prices even by a couple dollars, she would have been able to afford proper shampoo/conditioner. She probably could afford it....but instead chose to cut corners.

Yes, dawn is great for super oily coats or for fleas....that's about it. So that's my experience with using dawn exclusively as a doggie shampoo.

I personally don't understand using dawn all the time, when we have soooo many options out there as far as shampoo. And if you dilute correctly, it often goes a long way

Comment

Gwennie...I agree with 10muddypaws. What is "okay" for oil covered birds is not okay to use on a regular bases.
          Long ago someone on this board also mentioned that if there should be problems and lawsuits the groomer may be libal because you were not using a product designed for dogs.
          Thus the reason I won't use human baby shampoo or Dawn as a degreaser or flea shampoo. We have WONDERFUL products that do these jobs why take a risk.

People such as your boss often times don't do the math on shampoo. Shampoo is one of our cheaper supplies.
          Take Isle of Dog Shampoo
          It is $35.00 a gallon
          It dilutes 20-1...so you get 20 gallons of shampoo for $35.00
          Now, I estimate I can wash 5 medium dogs with a gallon of diluted shampoo. (Really, I can do more then that because I have a recycle bath system)

So the math would be $35.00 divided by 20 divided by 5 = .35
          Yep, 35 cents to bath a dog in quality shampoo.

I hope this helps...

Comment

I have started using Chubbs bars for my small breed greasy coats and a degreaser DOG shampoo for the bigger ones. I very rarely use a drop of Dawn mixed in with the shampoo and wouldn't use it at all if it wasn't in the shop. I think that dog shampoo manufacturers have spent the time and money on research for their shampoo formulation. Dawn is dish soap. Also, My salon isn't a charity. We charge for our products so we can afford to buy the appropriate shampoos. Dawn my be economical and effective for massive efforts by non-profits but that doesn't make it appropriate for the salon.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dragynwing View Post
              I have started using Chubbs bars for my small breed greasy coats and a degreaser DOG shampoo for the bigger ones. I very rarely use a drop of Dawn mixed in with the shampoo and wouldn't use it at all if it wasn't in the shop. I think that dog shampoo manufacturers have spent the time and money on research for their shampoo formulation. Dawn is dish soap. Also, My salon isn't a charity. We charge for our products so we can afford to buy the appropriate shampoos. Dawn my be economical and effective for massive efforts by non-profits but that doesn't make it appropriate for the salon.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
              Chubbs is a great degreaser and is my go to shampoo. ...for all sorts of coats....but heaters in homes and salons will create dry skin, use a rinse out conditioner and any grooming spray you feel is appropriate.
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Shame on that salon owner!!! Reading things like that makes me understand why pet owners sometimes bring me in hartz and other ****** brands and ask me to us them on their pet.

I went to a grooming seminar and one of the presenters explained that dawn is toxic. I had been using it on greasy ears. Not anymore. Now I use Les Poochs F n T.

Comment

People really should not use Dawn without wearing gloves, so many things people think are tested for safety are NOT. Petroleum industry gets away with murder.

Comment

There are actually a few shops in my area that use it on EVERY dog. Personally I don't think it belongs in a professional salon at all.. there are way too many better products designed for dogs.

Comment

Dawn is for washing dishes, not dogs

Comment

We used Dawn at school especially for Cocker ears and the occasionally oily dog. There were a few of us that really questioned this use. There are so many incredible shampoo on the market to use, why would you use dishwashing soap on a clients dog? I would be mortified if I took my dog to groomer and they were using dishwashing soap for shampoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't even use dawn to wash my dishes due to the residue it leaves that we then consume with our food. IMO ALL petroleum products can be hazardous to your health in some way. I think 10 Muddypaws put it best. Once in a while on a as needed basis is one thing. On a regular basis as a go to shampoo or degreaser you are probably doing more harm than good.
                          It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I use it on OAY farm dogs as it cuts the dirt, grime, and grease off the coat. I follow it up with great dog shampoo and a coat condition though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are truly wonderful brands that work awesome and even not groomer brands that work like baking soda, so not everything is expensive, but honestly the proof is in the finishes. Dare I pull up pictures from 13 years ago when I used biogroom and other " cheap" brands. I love the results I get now. And I'm not going to die young

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X