Itchy dogs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy dogs!

Here is southern PA we are experiencing a surge of extremely itchy client dogs. Of course we are getting the usual complaints that we must have done it. We are a well established salon with rigorous washing and rinsing protocols. We haven't changed products. Anyone else in the area experiencing this? Also, does anyone know if city water can be harsh or iritating? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I find that many dogs who have borderline dry skin issues will tip over into dandruff and itchiness this time of year because people are consistently keeping the heaters on in their homes. This dries out the air and some dogs are negatively effected by the change. Even in the damp Pacific Northwest, most dogs spend the vast majority of their days and nights inside and tend towards dryness. Perhaps this is what you're experiencing as well?

I'm offering oatmeal and aloe shampoo upgrades to almost every dog and mud treatments to the really dry ones. I also made sure that everyone gets a rehydrating finishing spray before they leave.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Use a rinse out conditioner, I'm in very dry place and not only does it prevent mats, it helps with dryness. Usually if I have any dogs seem itchy this time of year, I switch to my most moisturizing shampoo/ conditioner/ and leave in spray.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

We always shampoo each dog twice and 2nd bath is oxymed oatmeal. I agree that the dry heat really effects their skin. I also speculate our baths just tip the scales. Do you always up charge all these itchy dogs to cover increased product costs when doing medicated baths or extra conditioners? I also carry Davis chlorhexidine 2% shampoo but it is quite expensive as we hand dilute everything. No recirculating system seems to clean well enough for me.

Comment

Definitely dry heat is a big culprit. We see it every year. I always stress the importance of a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner this time of year. We also have an aloe hydrating mist that we use on most if not all dogs during this itchy season.

Comment

Absolutely, including my own dogs. I have never seen this before this bad. I have no idea. I used the Madra Mor Mud on my dogs and really helped, but it is more than that. My vet recommended a steroid spray which works, but guess what, he said he is seeing more itchy dog complaints than EVER. Weather is pretty normal. Need to open an X FILE.

Comment

Thanks all for the input. You all confirmed what I know to be true. And thanks for the laugh 10muddypaws! I agree!

Comment

I've been seeing a lot of itchy dogs as well, although we've also been having some wildly fluctuating temperatures and a massive surge of fleas showing up on dogs that are current on their preventatives... I'm also noticing my skin is acting up, and there've been a couple of days when I've been chapping within an hour or two

Comment

Us too Tabby. Fleas are bad right now.

Comment

We still do the Madra Mor mud baths and it helps a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X