Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog spa

Hello,

Myself johny. I would like to start up with a dog grooming spa, I would want to know more details about the same if any one has an idea? Please , share. I am confused as to where to start from? I have been reading and researching on the same from quite sometime now but haven't come across any authenticity. If someone from the forum could guide me. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Most people will need more info. Do you plan on being a groomer or just an owner? That makes a big difference. Or is anyone you know or family member going to be the groomer?

You can learn more about management and business plans at www.groomingbusinessinabox.com.

There is also the most extensive Career Start Report in the industry for free at www.petgroomermagazine.com under CAREER START link (top of page) to answer many questions including owning a business. Then you can come back and ask more detailed questions too. I definitely recommend reading this report, it usually answers dozens and hundreds of questions and orients you to find more industry info and resources including this board.

You can use the search engine of this board too. There are many many links on owning a business, see the business forum.

Welcome.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

I will offer advice. What are your questions.

Comment

Here are a few basics:

Learn your clients before opening-
        - Is it a commuting town ? Do people leave early for a bigger city? You need to open early to gain more clients. Stay open later for them to pick up

- Is your area full of stay at home moms? You can limit your hours to M-F if you choose.

How does rent compare to what can be charged? Is rent $2k and typical pricing $45 per dog? Is rent $500 and pricing $45

Are you surrounded by other shops, mobiles and vet clinics? What about big chains.

Most groomers are able to groom between 5-8 dogs per day. Power groomers will groom more, Will it sacrifice quality? Maybe- Maybe not.

Typical groomers earn $10-25 hourly or anywhere from 30-60% commission. Before offering a wage- DO THE MATH!! Can you afford what you just agreed to? Places are moving to paying hourly and lower commissions due to cost of doing business. 50-60 % was very common back in the day when things were more affordable and the pay was/may have been under the table. Or if the store offers grooming as a loss leader. Meaning other parts of the store cover the cost of running the salon.

Hiring a bather will make you more money than hiring a groomer due to the wage difference.

Spend money up front on quality, don't over build, find ways to minimize how much space your salon needs.

A salon start up could cost 5-10k or 100k.

Originally posted by buddyspaww View Post
        Hello,

Myself johny. I would like to start up with a dog grooming spa, I would want to know more details about the same if any one has an idea? Please , share. I am confused as to where to start from? I have been reading and researching on the same from quite sometime now but haven't come across any authenticity. If someone from the forum could guide me. Thank you in advance.

Comment

This is the most helpful place on the Net IMO so ask away when you are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Tif View Post
            Here are a few basics:

Learn your clients before opening-
            - Is it a commuting town ? Do people leave early for a bigger city? You need to open early to gain more clients. Stay open later for them to pick up

- Is your area full of stay at home moms? You can limit your hours to M-F if you choose.

How does rent compare to what can be charged? Is rent $2k and typical pricing $45 per dog? Is rent $500 and pricing $45

Are you surrounded by other shops, mobiles and vet clinics? What about big chains.

Most groomers are able to groom between 5-8 dogs per day. Power groomers will groom more, Will it sacrifice quality? Maybe- Maybe not.

Typical groomers earn $10-25 hourly or anywhere from 30-60% commission. Before offering a wage- DO THE MATH!! Can you afford what you just agreed to? Places are moving to paying hourly and lower commissions due to cost of doing business. 50-60 % was very common back in the day when things were more affordable and the pay was/may have been under the table. Or if the store offers grooming as a loss leader. Meaning other parts of the store cover the cost of running the salon.

Hiring a bather will make you more money than hiring a groomer due to the wage difference.

Spend money up front on quality, don't over build, find ways to minimize how much space your salon needs.

A salon start up could cost 5-10k or 100k.
            Wow.

That was really really helpful. I think half of my questions has already been answered here only .. Yes I will look for into this. I'm actually looking ownership. I want to own a pet spa.. So I'm sure this information would be very important . please help me know more about things that I should be knowing ..

If I take up an franchise ? How advisable would that be ?? How can it benifit me and what are the disadvantages like ??

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
              This is the most helpful place on the Net IMO so ask away when you are ready.
              Definetely

Comment

Working...
              X