Bichon suggestions/critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bichon suggestions/critique

Winter is being groomed tomorrow and I would like critique and tips on her groom. We are growing her out to "true Bichon". I have not had an opportunity before now to do a "true" Bichon clip so I am learning as I go, which Momma is fine with, she is thrilled with how she looks so no pressure.

Please help me with her neck/crest/transition from headpiece to body and anything else you see to point out!

Thank You!

K9Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1138895Click image for larger version

Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1138894Click image for larger version

Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1138893Click image for larger version

Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1138896Click image for larger version

Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1138897

I would shave out her throat and scoop her angulation out as well. Her butt and thighs right now are very thick, without much shape other than drumstick. Her ears look a little too sculpted- they are definitely really small and high set, so that makes them harder to deal with, but the head/face hair should hide them, it looks like you may have scissored the head underneath them. Left side of the dog has a nicer shoulder than the right- the front leg should be set under the dog. Tail needs to grow out. Super nice scissoring.

Comment

The body look great to me, I would just let a few more length!
      Face look like a square on top from side, I think that's due to ears and hair was cut a little too short on the sides of head. I agree the ears are set too high, and it make looks like there's too many volume on top of the head and not enough under the chin and on sides of head but with those ears that won't be easy to make him in a US show cut!
      He look super cute !

Comment

When you say "true Bichon" will you be doing a hand scissor all over leaving 2" of length, or a pet version? I only ask for clarification, because this would be two different critiques. Either way, I would recommend starting your topline farther back, at just behind the withers (it appears you are right at the withers instead). Your neck is just a little too short. Also it looks like you lifted the ears when scissoring sides of the neck and the cheeks and maybe when scissoring the back of the ears, because the ears are well defined and should instead blend seamlessly into the head. It is key to leave the ears down when scissoring your cheeks because that hair under the ears is necessary for lift to create the snowball look (or even if you are doing the "old school" bell head that us old timers learned until John Stazko showed us the round head!) When scissoring the back of the ears, try holding the tip of the leather, hold it forward toward the tip of the nose, and comb up your hair lightly shaping the ear hair to round into the neck hair. Then let the ear drop, comb up again and fine tune it into your face and head. I agree with the earlier post to carve out a little more angulation on your rear legs. I think your scissoring looks really nice!

Comment

I don't want to critique. ......wanted to say you scissor work is beautiful!
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
            When you say "true Bichon" will you be doing a hand scissor all over leaving 2" of length, or a pet version?
            Forgive me if I am wrong, as I have yet to compete, but I was informed that the conformation and competition Bichon almost always has less than one-inch of coat on most of the body (with variation all over for shaping). I just told that my Bichon had much too much body length at around an inch.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
              Forgive me if I am wrong, as I have yet to compete, but I was informed that the conformation and competition Bichon almost always has less than one-inch of coat on most of the body (with variation all over for shaping). I just told that my Bichon had much too much body length at around an inch.
              I'm with you Moo, on this and the critique. Needs angulation, so scoop out above the hock from the pin bone, and let the ears grow some and blend them in with the head. Beautiful scissor work, with some tweaking she's going to look gorgeous.

Comment

Wow just a little more attention to some of the details here and you got it!

Comment

Working...
                X