Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you added up all your essential tools and equipment........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you added up all your essential tools and equipment........

for a one person business in shop how much would you plan? Thanks

Roughly 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
      Roughly 4K.
      Agreed!
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

7500K to 10000K for a professional solo operator leasing space. The tools and equipment become your assistant to work quickly and efficiently and will pay for themselves in your health as well as efficiency. I am including dryers, tub(s), table, bathing system, cages, pens, vac system, probably the deshedding system that there was a recent video of posted, and all the misc clippers, scissors blades, product etc. IMO

Comment

I stared out with very little and as I grew I put every cent I could back into my business with quality tools etc. So minimum start up will greatly depend on where you live, type clientele, your experience as you might need bigger buffer for slow times. I took over an existing salon from an older groomer and only painted. I just looked at my books from 13 years ago, I spent about $2000 for all my tools, licence, etc but I got by with the bare minimum and started buying more stuff a few months later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought 2 stand dryers, 2 HV dryers, 2 simple grooming tables, used wire crates, and completely remodeled a nail salon. I had my clippers, blades & scissors already. We put in cabinets, framed & dry-walled a bathing area with a used bath tub & all new plumbing. Also bought shampoo, conditioner, & miscellaneous essentials. My credit card financed shop was under $4100. Of course, the first year I spent a lot more redoing the floor, adding counter space, adding ceramic tile to the entry way, etc. I did have contractor friends that donated their time to re-model the interior of my shop & mu used cabinets were given to me by a friend. Also included were expenses for water, electric, gas start up fees & my city business license. My area generally has fairly low living expenses & rent.

Comment

If you buy good, not the best equipment, 3K is even possible, but 4 to 5K will do you better and the quality is likely to last longer in the long run.

Comment

Realistically, because I just bought an existing shop and know what the inventory added up to, set aside at least $6000 for average quality equipment. My shop has 2 Shoreline tables and 2 hydraulic tubs. Those 4 items alone add up to close to $6500, then add in cage banks, stand dryers, K9 dryers, shop vac, tools, chemicals, loops and harnesses, washer/dryer, boat load of towels, mops, rolling carts, brooms, laptop computer, etc, etc, and my inventory was close to $15000.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                  Realistically, because I just bought an existing shop and know what the inventory added up to, set aside at least $6000 for average quality equipment. My shop has 2 Shoreline tables and 2 hydraulic tubs. Those 4 items alone add up to close to $6500, then add in cage banks, stand dryers, K9 dryers, shop vac, tools, chemicals, loops and harnesses, washer/dryer, boat load of towels, mops, rolling carts, brooms, laptop computer, etc, etc, and my inventory was close to $15000.
                  I agree with you Tom but OP said a one person, basics, so under $5K is at least possible.

Comment

I hv been open for close to 1 1/2 years & my equipment/inventory/office set-up was approximately $5000 (1 table, 2 dryers, 6 kennels, w&d, more shears & thinners, 2 additional sets of clipper blades, shampoos, towels, uniforms, shop vac, plus computer, printer, desk, chair, & etc). With that said, I had a permanent tile tub built vs a hydraulic tub. I have no intentions of relocating my salon, so I also spent more $$ in the build-out of my space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cmf07 View Post
                      I hv been open for close to 1 1/2 years & my equipment/inventory/office set-up was approximately $5000 (1 table, 2 dryers, 6 kennels, w&d, more shears & thinners, 2 additional sets of clipper blades, shampoos, towels, uniforms, shop vac, plus computer, printer, desk, chair, & etc). With that said, I had a permanent tile tub built vs a hydraulic tub. I have no intentions of relocating my salon, so I also spent more $$ in the build-out of my space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Well, if you want to go in deeper......I have appx 15,000.00 invested after 5 yrs.(but it has pd for its self) But the basics should be about 3 or 4K and go from there on updating.
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Well it depends... Are you grooming already and have your regular hand tools? I had a table, dryer, shears, clippers, blades, brushes, combs, etc before even opening. For my home based shop, the only thing grooming related I bought was a $150 tub off of craigslist. I did about a $1500 build out and it was set. When I moved to my shop, it had a tub, cage bank, and electric tables already. The only things I bought where a desk and printer, $50 worth of paint, and $200 worth of products. Now, if you are starting from scratch or aren't a groomer, plus have to do a build out, you're looking at easily $10,000. I will tell you, I have a list of interior items for my salon insurance (doesn't count the building, plumbing, electrical, build outetc) and that list is valued at about $18,000 new.

Comment

I did like Izzy. Just started with what I had and got better stuff as I went along. When I started I picked up used VariKenneIs, had a human bath tub installed, I bought a good stand dryer...they didn't have HV dryers in those days. Heck, I didn't even have a grooming table when I opened! So you can be very creative and still get your business up and running.

I think so many people don't take the business plunge because they think they "have to" have a bunch of fancy stuff to open. Take the plunge, you'll do just fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X