This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail Quicking

I HATE quicking dogs' nails. I detest it. I hate the pain it causes, I hate cleaning up blood, and I hate quick-stop. As soon as I see an inkling of pink, I don't go any shorter. But I don't think I'm getting nails quite short enough because of my paranoia.

Is dremeling my only option? Or is there a better way to do this? I have been searching through the forum, but I'm not finding much.

Use only SHARP clippers and dremel. Do them immediately after the bath - while still
    In tub - to make the nails softer and easier to clip.

I dremel everything it's faster and easier for me. Others hate dremels for some reason.
    Practice is the best resolution to the problem

Comment

I dremel 90% of the dogs I see. I like to do them after the bath like HoneyandChewiespal when the nails are soft, though I take the pup to my table. For larger dogs, I lower the table, put my leg under the dog's tummy for support and trim the tips of the nails then dremel them to their final length. I find I can trim most dogs' nails pretty easily with the leg under the tummy.

Also, I use the diamond wheel that Jeff sells. They're only $10 and they're smoother than the sandpaper wheels. They can heat up so it's best to use them on damp nails or have a little water nearby if you're dremeling large, hard, dry nails.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

While I love the results of dremeling, my fear is getting foot hair caught in the dremel. I pull the hair back but some dogs have so much hair around their feet it is crazy. How do you deal with that?

Comment

If the nail is black, I only tip the ends...you can see that a long nail will have a "U" shape towards the end, so you know that the quick hasn't advanced to that point. On white nails, you can easily see the quick and then give it 1/4"(large dogs), 1/8" (small dogs) before you clip, so you don't cut a protruding blood vessel/nerve. I always cut the nails first, then if I do unintentionally cut too short, the blood is washed away in the bath. My dogs never stand in water so the nails do not get soft during bathing. I also only dremel 2 dogs that chew their nails, since it is time consuming and not needed. I always tell clients to walk their dog on sidewalk which is a nature dremel in motion. Some of my client's dogs only need their dew claws clipped, because of sidewalk strolls.

Happy only tipping

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
            If the nail is black, I only tip the ends...you can see that a long nail will have a "U" shape towards the end, so you know that the quick hasn't advanced to that point. On white nails, you can easily see the quick and then give it 1/4"(large dogs), 1/8" (small dogs) before you clip, so you don't cut a protruding blood vessel/nerve. I always cut the nails first, then if I do unintentionally cut too short, the blood is washed away in the bath. My dogs never stand in water so the nails do not get soft during bathing. I also only dremel 2 dogs that chew their nails, since it is time consuming and not needed. I always tell clients to walk their dog on sidewalk which is a nature dremel in motion. Some of my client's dogs only need their dew claws clipped, because of sidewalk strolls.

Happy only tipping

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
            Dogs do not need to stand in water to soften the nail. Just the bath alone will soften the nail and cut down on the dust from grinding. I like to do nails immediately after the bath and it will allow you to see the nails better on those hairy feet before drying.

Comment

Gradually I converted to dremelling most dogs, way most and no problems.

Comment

Unless there is 2 " of nail needing removed.....then I just dremel as well, and yep just a bath makes them soft and Jeff's diamond wheel works like a champ!!! Buzz buzz, done!
                Long hair is easier to move out of the way on wet feet....but if it gets caught by accident. .....just pull it out and move more hair out of the way and dremel away.....the more you dremel, the better you get with long feet ( maybe hold backwards like a horse hoof?) And the more the vein will draw back.
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

can't remember last time I cut a nail too short, petsomething fires people for that stuff, I use dremel 95% of the time and have never gone too short with it, its just a much better tool. you should reach a point where you can do nails perfect everytime

Comment

Originally posted by Dragynwing View Post
                    I dremel 90% of the dogs I see. I like to do them after the bath like HoneyandChewiespal when the nails are soft, though I take the pup to my table. For larger dogs, I lower the table, put my leg under the dog's tummy for support and trim the tips of the nails then dremel them to their final length. I find I can trim most dogs' nails pretty easily with the leg under the tummy.
                    I had never thought to put my leg on the table! That is a great idea. Although my salon charges extra when customers ask for dremeling, I think I'm do it more frequently (without charging of course). I used to be so much better about dremeling wet nails. I need to start that up again. That might be why I've been having so much trouble lately. It also really helps with hair not getting caught. I've only caught hair twice, but the dogs never reacted, strangely enough.
                    As for just tipping black nails, I had been doing that but they were definitely not getting short enough. I'm mostly just bathing right now, and the groomer was redoing most of the black nails I did.
                    And I'm going to mention the diamond wheel to my boss.
                    Great tips! I'm going to start using them tomorrow!

Comment

I always deterred wet nail grinding as electricity and water don't mix and I pay for my own sanding bits. I do nails as the very first thing and if i have to i can do more after the bath. right before the dog is done

Comment

For dogs with long hair, I read a suggestion where someone had pantyhose with a hole cut in the toes. The pulled the pantyhose over the foot, partway up the leg and it kept the hair pulled back. I keep forgetting to try this!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DogGamut View Post
                          I always deterred wet nail grinding as electricity and water don't mix and I pay for my own sanding bits. I do nails as the very first thing and if i have to i can do more after the bath. right before the dog is done
                          Cordless..or correct plug in...and it is no different than wet shaving a matted dog.
                          Last edited by Cyn; 11-23-15, 05:47 AM.
                          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                            Cordless..or correct plug in...and it is no different than wet shaving a matted dog.
                            Or better yet just move the dog to a table and do it there.
                            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I dremel every dogs nails as well. It is easier

Comment

Working...
                              X