Groomed a Bouvier today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomed a Bouvier today!

Last week a couple came in our salon to ask how much we would charge to groom a Bouvier. I came out to talk to them, asked if they keep it in breed profile trim - with fall, beard, longer legs, etc. They were impressed that I even knew what a Bouvier was! They said they went into several other salons and they either had no idea (in one salon, one person asked how big the dog was and then yelled to someone in the back "how much to groom a 90-lb dog?"), or said they did not groom Bouviers. Well, if they asked me if I ever groomed one, the truth is, no. But I do know how to groom one in theory, I have resources to consult - grooming books and this board.
    So, before they came today, I looked for all threads on Bouviers on this board, searched breed photos, studied Notes from the Grooming Table and Jodi's book (got it just in time!). The dog was wonderful. She was a little hyper, hopped around like a puppy (and she is 7 years old), did very good for most of the groom (did not like dryer much, so that took a while). She had gorgeous beard and fall over her eyes; I did A comb on her body and E comb/scissored legs. And the owners take really good care of her - she did not have one single mat in her.
    They were happy with the groom, said they are glad they found someone who knows how to groom Bouviers, and made appointment to bring their another dog, mini-labradoodle.
    Wish I have some decent pictures for critique but she got so excited after I put her collar on, she would not sit still. Will try next time.
    Anyway, I don't understand why other groomers would not take in breed they never groomed before. I understand, it is not possible to be proficient in all breeds, but with all the resources available to us today, why not to learn something new?

Maybe when they said they don't groom bouviers they meant that they don't groom large breeds. Bouviers aren't terrible uncommon around here so I doubt any groomers don't know the breed.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
      Maybe when they said they don't groom bouviers they meant that they don't groom large breeds. Bouviers aren't terrible uncommon around here so I doubt any groomers don't know the breed.
      Yes, I thought about it too, but the owners got an impression they did not know the breed.
      Bouviers must be more common in Canada than here (I know ItzaClip groomed one). I am in Arizona and here we mostly have shih-tzus, yorkies, poodles and mixes thereof For some reason, when I worked at PetSomething an hour away from my town, breed diversity was greater. Now I rarely even see a Golden retriever in my salon. I groom one Airedale Terrier and he is a winter visitor from Canada!

Comment

I've gotten to groom 2 Bouviers at school. They are so much fun! Maybe just because we don't see many of them. I'm still a student so breed cuts on many breeds are new to me but I can't understand why an experienced groomer would shy away from a new dog. How the heck are you supposed to learn otherwise??

Glad you got a chance to work on a new breed. Sounds like she was a fun hand full!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

They're a little uncommon in SoFl. But I used to have two come in early on in my grooming career. The dogs were lovely ( and I'd never done one before either but thanks to books knew what they should look like).

Owner was a real jerk and I finally had to fire him. He'd started out pleased with grooms and price. He was also taking care of the dogs between appointments. The. He stopped brushing and would take them to the beach each day the week before coming in. Last time they came I took a half pound of sand out of the males coat - before I could even think about dematting. Took a half day to do both dogs and owner railed in two languages about the price and that is had to strip the insides of the legs. Found out later he took them to the nearby pet***** and got back two stripped dogs. Police had to intervene.

Comment

They aren't terribly common here. I had a lovely lady several years ago who wanted me to groom hers for the experience. As in she was willing to LET me groom him just for the experience. As in no money. And I should grateful for the experience. This particular Bouvier was cranky and temperamental, and really big and neglected. I've had other people with uncommon breeds try that, too. I'm happy to take a breed I've never seen before, but a big fat negatory on any freebies for funsies.

Yay for fun new dogs. Especially when people actually expect to pay for it.

Comment

I had one, he was young and hyper! Of course the owner had no idea of what was a brush so the 1st groomer had to shave him down, I arrived after that the owner wanted to only bath/dry so I did it at least every 4-6 weeks for some months before he get matts again. I had to clip him down too, but owner was ok he asked..
              They moved away so I don't groom him anymore!
              I've seen another one as a puppy, but never groomed because they thought I could groom their yorkie and their bouvier at the same time, like in the next hour they call.

Comment

I have never in 30 yrs been asked to groom one. Now my tub is not big enough even if one should show up. Have to say I would have loved the chance to groom one in my younger yrs!
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I did 4 or 5 in my shop in Seattle burb. Except for the size, found them to be easy grooms if not matted.
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I totally forget that I have another one I actually shave down once a year, she's arround 10yo but she jump alone on the table, in the tub, she's very cute and easy compared to the hyper one I used to have!

Comment

We have a couple and both are great dogs to groom. But I having had my turn to groom them, WAH

Comment

I don't currently do any, had to fire that client. Loved the dog though. He was getting shown on and off while I did him and I learned a lot. I think lots are maybe nervous of the breed?? Kinda like Akita or chow. They can be protective. I love when new breeds come a calling. I will totally let a unusual breed skip my waiting list. Had an old couple with an Skye terrier and I've never done one so I'm very interested.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
                          Last week a couple came in our salon to ask how much we would charge to groom a Bouvier. I came out to talk to them, asked if they keep it in breed profile trim - with fall, beard, longer legs, etc. They were impressed that I even knew what a Bouvier was! They said they went into several other salons and they either had no idea (in one salon, one person asked how big the dog was and then yelled to someone in the back "how much to groom a 90-lb dog?"), or said they did not groom Bouviers. Well, if they asked me if I ever groomed one, the truth is, no. But I do know how to groom one in theory, I have resources to consult - grooming books and this board.
                          So, before they came today, I looked for all threads on Bouviers on this board, searched breed photos, studied Notes from the Grooming Table and Jodi's book (got it just in time!). The dog was wonderful. She was a little hyper, hopped around like a puppy (and she is 7 years old), did very good for most of the groom (did not like dryer much, so that took a while). She had gorgeous beard and fall over her eyes; I did A comb on her body and E comb/scissored legs. And the owners take really good care of her - she did not have one single mat in her.
                          They were happy with the groom, said they are glad they found someone who knows how to groom Bouviers, and made appointment to bring their another dog, mini-labradoodle.
                          Wish I have some decent pictures for critique but she got so excited after I put her collar on, she would not sit still. Will try next time.
                          Anyway, I don't understand why other groomers would not take in breed they never groomed before. I understand, it is not possible to be proficient in all breeds, but with all the resources available to us today, why not to learn something new?
                          I just got to groom a Bouvier today, and it made me think of this thread! (only actually ever seen one...) My client was also impressed I knew what a Bouvier was and that I had some general knowledge of the breed and breed look. He is 10 months old and was an absolute joy to work with. He only got a bath and brush as his hair had been trimmed recently somewhere else. Like your pet owners, mine takes amazing care of the dogs coat-no mats. Also the owner has been training dogs in obedience for thirty years, so needless to say, even at 10 months, he was pretty well behaved. Just a bit bouncy. I can't wait to see him again!

I'm excited for you that your clients were happy! It's so refreshing to get to work with breeds less common. Breaks up the monotony of yorkie/shih Tzu/poodle cross dogs.

Comment

I only have ever groomed two Bouviers in my years. Unfortunately the owners were not that great at maintaining them and only ever brought them in twice a year to be shaved. Once in the spring and once in the fall. That always seems to be my luck in the area I am in. Even when I do get a breed that isn't seen very often it's rare that the owner actually wants it in it's breed standard.
                            Defiantely need to get some pics next groom and post! Please.
                            It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                            Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Karla...DeLanda Dog Inn bred and showed Bouvier and later were one of the first to have Soft-coated Wheatens. Their kennel is in Bothell. Bouvier were popular in the late 1970's-early 80's. Lots of those dogs were from this kennel.
                              I worked at a boarding kennel in Woodinville and we got a bunch in for boarding. They were the messiest dogs. Walked through poop and then would lay in it. Yuk. Not fun to groom.

I did groom one years later that was owned by a little old lady. She was about 5 feet tall, 98 pounds and 80 years old. She had a huge Bouv that was gentle as could be. He would walk slowly by her side and never pulled on his leash. They were a great team and always made me smile

Comment

Working...
                              X