How do I encourage more word of mouth referrals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I encourage more word of mouth referrals

The writers tell us that referral by word of mouth is best advertising. Other than doing great groomers is there more I can do to get my customers to spread the word more????? TKU

I give a free bath or 1/2 price groom when a client refers 3. I currently work alone. That being said when I have an assistant they will be doing the baths and if I hire another groomer (way later) I will still be doing the 1/2 price groom.

Comment

The simplest answer is the best answer. Ask for their help, and consider not giving anything away. Get to know your customers, really know the ones you enjoy and they having found you. Appreciate them and share your dream and say thank you and I would appreciate your sending new business my way. I have gone places that asked me that, and I did if I liked them and wanted them to stick around. This is way easy to do anyway unless someone feels shy.

You are there groomer, they want you to stay and do well, they will recommend. Perhaps 50% of my clientele came this way. I simply asked for their help and valued their patronage. Money was not the point. Never gave away free anything, but you have to reach out to get to know them better. Chit chat especially about their pets, hubbies, wives kids. Magic.

Comment

Nice 123Linda. We had thousands of regulars and started off with one. We had a road sign and yellow pages ad, that is it. But our people at the front knew all the thousands of regulars, we got to know them, we thanked them a lot and said we appreciate your referrals and had brochures and cards always out they could take. Personable groomers are out there. It was like we were an extended part of their families, and my mother set the stage up there. I am not kidding, people would literally line up some days to talk with her and we got referrals and more.

Also I would like to add we documented 44 vets sending us referrals WEEKLY. All from the form Pet Groomer's Report and Health Alert shown in From Problems to Profits. One report for every visit, every customer, and the manager signed when vet attention looked necessary. This is not he or she was a good boy or girl today, but real descriptive information to help pet owners and to describe to vet when indicated what was observed. Thousands and thousands of those went out and vets would call us and commend it and send us business. Their eyes went wide when first seeing them, and that gave them the confidence we would do their referral right. We also sent a letter thanking them for each new referral. I would do this anywhere today in a snap, especially with today's computers, so easy and see what happens. It would rock anywhere today to see it done right. How could we beat 44 vets up to an hour drive away sending us free business?

All I can say is this is how we did it and it is documented and can be done anywhere. Lots have, we still have about 2,000 groomers reporting to our office every year their progress with From Problems to Profits, and wait till you see what is coming which addresses this thread. The all new, totally revised, expanded, updated, 6 years of work actually, the new edition of FPTP, and I hope to sell it for $2 or less and it will includes forms you can customize instead of just seeing in a book. Wonderful new world of publishing since we first published the book. $2 or less. We are getting excited as you can see. It light years beyond the first book. A very special edition for today's grooming world, 1 person or staffed, and dozens of goodies with it.

Comment

Any chance could get a link to purchase the updated book? I am updating health report/invoice for next year, and would love digital. I have the original book and its been a huge a great resource. Thanks!

Comment

We have cards and brochures and we ask if they would like to take some with them with our appreciation for recommending us. They get the idea that you are asking for referrals in a nice way.

Comment

Originally posted by jackieo View Post
              Any chance could get a link to purchase the updated book? I am updating health report/invoice for next year, and would love digital. I have the original book and its been a huge a great resource. Thanks!
              Thanks for asking. Much of the new edition is in proofreading stage now and we decided to add a bonus of business forms. It will be released at some point in Winter and we will of course announce it here and at PetGroomer.com etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TootsiePie View Post
                We have cards and brochures and we ask if they would like to take some with them with our appreciation for recommending us. They get the idea that you are asking for referrals in a nice way.
                Agree this is one great method.

Comment

Originally posted by blingwithfur View Post
                  The writers tell us that referral by word of mouth is best advertising. Other than doing great groomers is there more I can do to get my customers to spread the word more????? TKU
                  Nobody mentioned social media. When you take cute pictures with a story or capture personality, the owners spread the word for you by sharing the post! https://m.facebook.com/ItzaClip/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with 123 Linda. I thank my customers, & honestly tell them how much I appreciate their business. I politely ask them to refer me to family, friends, and coworkers. Plus I rely on signage for my business(roadsigns, car magnets and decals for my vehicle), as well as social media. I try to post something every day on FB, whether it be dogs I just groomed or information tidbits I find interesting. On the days when I post the dogs, without even boosting my Facebook page, I get anywhere to 300 to 500 hits. I always ask my customers how they heard about me: 50% are referrals, 30% signage, 10% FB & website, 10% misc. advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X