Left or Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left or Right?

Just a bit of a general inquiry here, I am Left Handed (yeahyeah hail satan $%#^%&^#$6666666 and all that) I'm Wondering if anyone else had to learn how to groom right handed because the salon they worked for only had right handed equipment? I ended up buying a set of lefty equipment myself but my right hand feels just as comfortable as my left now when holding shears. any other amb groomers? any value in it?

I am a lefty, I use left handed scissors. But- I taught myself to use clippers in both hands and feel comfortable with it. Best idea ever! I switch back and forth between hands depending on the side of the dog I work on and areas of the dog. It is especially handy to me for the inside of the front legs.

Comment

Well, I'm confused, what "right handed equipment" are you talking about besides scissors?..........and wouldn't every groomer want their own scissors??

Happy being ambidextrous

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
        Well, I'm confused, what "right handed equipment" are you talking about besides scissors?..........and wouldn't every groomer want their own scissors??

Happy being ambidextrous

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
        I was wondering as well.

Nothing that my salon supplies has "handedness" to it. Blow dryers and tubs are all pretty hand-neutral and generally symmetrical.

I'm a righty and am totally useless with my left hand, but I don't think it matters with anything that isn't scissors or the mat breaker,

Comment

I grew up using right handed scissors because that was how things were back in the dark ages. I use right handed shears and all other tools I use in which ever hand is easier, depending on which side of the dog I'm working on. The only exception is the dremel. I can't get the hang of using it in my right hand so I twist my body around and use my left hand.

Comment

Dematters, Dremels (i know how to change the handedness on dremels if you need) ~now im killer at right handed dremeling. working at petco id always bang my elbow cause the cages open right handed.. (small but annoying lol) Shears were the big one because they want you to learn as fast as a natural righty

Comment

I ended up buying both sets left and right after I got addicted to grooming. ya know how salon equipment gets abused when its open for use by everyone. I Suppose in the end the lefties get the benefits cause we end up grooming amb but man is it weird learning with the opposite hand

Comment

Originally posted by DogGamut View Post
                Dematters, Dremels (i know how to change the handedness on dremels if you need) ~now im killer at right handed dremeling. working at petco id always bang my elbow cause the cages open right handed.. (small but annoying lol) Shears were the big one because they want you to learn as fast as a natural righty
                I have never seen any brand of nail grinder that wasn't symmetrical, and between all the groomers in the shop, we have four different brands and styles. My actual Dremel is definitely symmetrical and works the same both ways. What brand & make are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
                  I have never seen any brand of nail grinder that wasn't symmetrical, and between all the groomers in the shop, we have four different brands and styles. My actual Dremel is definitely symmetrical and works the same both ways. What brand & make are you using?

Dremel 7700 Series 7.2 volt NiCad Batteries

Comment

My lefty says only scissors shears matter. She buys lefty's and says well no one else will want to use them!

Comment

Originally posted by violet2 View Post
                      My lefty says only scissors shears matter. She buys lefty's and says well no one else will want to use them!
                      Im Kind of jealous it was shears and dematters mainly for me, dremel and clippers secondary. I got killer skills with righty shears and righty dremeling now but dematting still left handed.

Comment

I'm also confused also at how dremels and clippers can be 'right handed'

Comment

carding or stripping knives and shears are the only left-handed tools I have seen.

Dremels spin in one direction and I can see it being a problem depending on the way it makes contact with the nail. I like to approach the nail with the drum spinning from the top down against the nail, not up and away from the nail.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                            carding or stripping knives and shears are the only left-handed tools I have seen.

Dremels spin in one direction and I can see it being a problem depending on the way it makes contact with the nail. I like to approach the nail with the drum spinning from the top down against the nail, not up and away from the nail.
                            Exactly! however I'm always to the right of the dog with the drum spinning up. switching the way the drum spins luckily isn't too hard but then when other people borrow it they have a slighty harder time..

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post

I must be weird, as I go from all directions, but always start perpendicular to the length of the nail with my drum going side-to-side, and I go from left-to-right and right-to-left, so it's never occurred to me which way the rotation went.

Comment

Working...
                              X