Designer breeds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designer breeds.

I saw a couple "designer" breeds for sale in our local newspaper: Bordoodle and Aussiedor. It looks like people just going through the breed list to figure out which two combinations will give the cutest mix name. Like, what is the purpose of Aussiedor? You take shedding Aussie and shedding lab to get what? Shedding like crazy dog?

LOL I totally agree! And yes, all the recognized AKC breeds were at one point mixes of other breeds/types of dogs bred together to get a dog that had a purpose whether for working or for companionship. We will always be having new breeds emerge, but I don't get the whole randomly mixing two or three breeds just to come up with a cutesy name. I think a lot of the people who do this are just choosing dogs willy nilly with little or no thought on the dogs being produced. Health, temperament, or otherwise. Just give a cute name and call it a "new/designer" breed and jack up the price.

The latest trend around here is the "teddy bear" breed. Just a cross of shih Tzu and bichon, sometimes poodle in there or maltese. Have at least three of these dogs and every single one of them asked me if I knew the "breed standard" cut on a teddy bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretzel View Post
      The latest trend around here is the "teddy bear" breed. Just a cross of shih Tzu and bichon, sometimes poodle in there or maltese. Have at least three of these dogs and every single one of them asked me if I knew the "breed standard" cut on a teddy bear.
      But don't you know? The breed standard cut for teddy bear is "puppy cut"

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
        But don't you know? The breed standard cut for teddy bear is "puppy cut"
        LMAO!! I should've known!

Comment

Please tell me that a "Bordoodle" is not a Borboel/Poodle.

An Aussie/Lab seems like a really average "my dog got pregnant" dog. We have lots of Herding Breed/Lab mixes that are usually like mildly fuzzy labs with funny ears... But they're just super average dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post

An Aussie/Lab seems like a really average "my dog got pregnant" dog. We have lots of Herding Breed/Lab mixes that are usually like mildly fuzzy labs with funny ears... But they're just super average dogs.
            No, bod doodle is actually border collie x poodle. Must be one hyper puppy!

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
              No, bod doodle is actually border collie x poodle. Must be one hyper puppy!
              I groom a Borddoodle. Yes, she is very hyper, but no more than a Border Collie or even my own Aussie, lol. She very well behav3d for grooming, but she HATES to be in a cage and will bark until I am damn near insane! So her dad knows when I call to say she is ready (I groom her straight through), he better be here in 20 mins, lol.
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
                Shudder.

Comment

Working...
                X