A puzzling thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A puzzling thing

I have a currently 10-year-old Coton that comes in weekly. The owners are excessive about cleanliness, germs, and the dogs will being. They absolutely love this dog. He was dropped off today but the husband who commented to me that he believes the dog went deaf. I said Will check with our chief doctor and see if there was anyway to check the dogs hearing – of course there is and she did. The dog is death has gone completely deaf within the last two months. The owner asked me to ask the doctor and anybody else that might know what might've caused a sudden loss of hearing in an otherwise completely healthy dog. The doctor so I know your infection no instruction no injury to hear there's nothing. The only thing that is changed in the last six months is the dog has gone on next guard as opposed to frontline. Everything else in its life has been exactly the same. So I'm sending this out there to see if anybody else has had a dog that has changed flea medication and had a strange reaction. Or is this just an anomaly for that breed.

Who knows that the dog had "perfect" hearing up until 2 months ago......he might have been having declining hearing for a year. To point the finger at a certain product is like pointing the finger at the groomer for an injury on a pet 2 weeks after grooming.

Happy living a quiet life

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I have a pet sitting client who adores her pet. They spend hours and hours together. Her pet had been scooting on the floor, an indication of full anal glands. The owner never saw the scooting. It seems like it only happened when I was there. In turn, I missed the fact that the pet had licked off the fur on part of her paw, as well as on her belly. Even though I groom the pet and am very fond of her, for some reason I was oblivious to the bare spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
        Who knows that the dog had "perfect" hearing up until 2 months ago......he might have been having declining hearing for a year. To point the finger at a certain product is like pointing the finger at the groomer for an injury on a pet 2 weeks after grooming.

Happy living a quiet life

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
        I was thinking along the kinda sorta same line. Stranger things have happened, but in my experience, it's usually the revelation of hearing or vision loss that's sudden, not the actual loss. I'm a fairly savvy pet owner who pays attention and am pretty in tune with my pets and the gazillion fosters we've had, and I've still had moments where I suddenly realized a dog or cat was almost completely blind or deaf because it was so gradual and they have an amazing ability to compensate and go about normal life. So I guess it could be a sudden loss, but these people seem to need to understand that it would not make them negligent pet owners if it was a gradual thing that just got past them until it was impossible not to notice.

Comment

http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/breeds.htm

In our breed, dachshunds, white pigmentation is discouraged in breeding because of the "lethal" white gene. Seems that quite a few white dogs have a predisposition to deafness.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
            I have a currently 10-year-old Coton that comes in weekly. The owners are excessive about cleanliness, germs, and the dogs will being. They absolutely love this dog. He was dropped off today but the husband who commented to me that he believes the dog went deaf. I said Will check with our chief doctor and see if there was anyway to check the dogs hearing – of course there is and she did. The dog is death has gone completely deaf within the last two months. The owner asked me to ask the doctor and anybody else that might know what might've caused a sudden loss of hearing in an otherwise completely healthy dog. The doctor so I know your infection no instruction no injury to hear there's nothing. The only thing that is changed in the last six months is the dog has gone on next guard as opposed to frontline. Everything else in its life has been exactly the same. So I'm sending this out there to see if anybody else has had a dog that has changed flea medication and had a strange reaction. Or is this just an anomaly for that breed.
            It isn't a breed thing.

I have three Cotons currently with the average age being ten, and I have actually yet to meet a dog in my breed who has had hearing loss, even associated with age. The oldest one that I know is 15 and still hears perfectly.

Cotons are not a truly white breed as they are heavily pigmented, and are usually born coloured and the fading gene turns them white by 6-12 months. Pigment related afflications should rarely if ever affect the breed.

Comment

I won't use Nexguard every again. I tried it once on my 3 when we were about to go on vacation in the mountains because they always come out with a few ticks. Within 2 hours of putting it on them, my lab and hound were both running around scratching their faces on the floor. They broke out in hives everywhere and it lasted for like 3 days. My schnauzer had no reaction to it whatsoever. Because of this I did a lot of researching online about Nexguard. Although the hives and itching are fairly common I never came across anything relating it to deafness.

Comment

Originally posted by andromedaslove View Post
                I won't use Nexguard every again. I tried it once on my 3 when we were about to go on vacation in the mountains because they always come out with a few ticks. Within 2 hours of putting it on them, my lab and hound were both running around scratching their faces on the floor. They broke out in hives everywhere and it lasted for like 3 days. My schnauzer had no reaction to it whatsoever. Because of this I did a lot of researching online about Nexguard. Although the hives and itching are fairly common I never came across anything relating it to deafness.
                Ummmm..... Nexguard is a chewable not a topical. Plz make sure you know what product you put on your dogs there are many out there, and I have a dog that reacts to topicals just as you described....any topical.
                Pete, Aussies are like your breed.....if they are wht (my avatar is one) then you can definitely expect some deafness or blindness. And other breeds that are not suppose to be wht (boxers, danes, ect) can and usually have the wht issue. I refuse to call it fatal white, bad terminology IMO. I prefer to call it double merle....as it is LACK of pigmentation that causes the deafness and blindness.
                Now dogs that are suppose to be white....they have correct pigmentation and are not predestined to be deaf or blind.. Again IMO, this has been coming on in the dog OP posted about for a long time.....dogs are very good as their other senses to overtake a failure of one sense, so good that it would take all but the most dedicated of owners to detect the difference.
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Cyn, you are 100% correct. I was exhausted when I posted this and said I " put it ON them". It was a pill that they ate. I didn't catch it until you said something. I wasn't aware that the itching and hives was a side effect of nexguard, but after it happened I started searching and found out it was pretty common. Somehow, they've all been fine with topicals like advantage and frontline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a customer whose dog went deaf and vet finally sent to a veterinary college for special consultation. This was some time ago but I remember it was related to an unusual infection.

Comment

My husky mix seemed to lose her hearing fairly quickly. My guess is it was happening slowly and I finally just noticed it. She only hears when I clap my hands now. So I clap and then do hand motions. It happens in older dogs. Granted mine was 14 before it happened, but she has always been top notch healthwise.
                      I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                      -Michelangelo

Comment

Working...
                      X