Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Groomers Consider Regulation in Walke of Accidents

http://www.wlos.com/news/features/to...l#.Vjy7KrerTIU

ASHEVILLE - Canine Shear Heaven has taken care of Brenda Salsman's dogs, including Zorro, for years.

She's never had a problem and loves the service.

"My dogs do enjoy coming,” she said.

But she was surprised to learn groomers don't face any regulations from the government.

If she was looking for a new place, that's something she might want.

"Just the idea that they were more regulated someone would be checking in to make sure they are doing all the right things you know taking good care of the animals when they are with them,” she said.

No state requires pet groomers to be licensed.

But some are considering it after a series of high profile accidents.

A golden retriever died in a dryer this year in Virginia.

And in California, a dog had to have surgery after falling from a table.

Martha Worley, owner of Canine Shear Heaven, saw the news about those accidents.

She said regulations might not be the answer.

"It's on me though, you know,” she said. “And to know that my groomers and bathers are taught how to properly use the equipment I have in my shop to keep the dogs as safe as we can."

The shop has had three owners since 1979.

She's got a good reputation.

"90 percent of grooming is how you handling the animals,” she said.

She wouldn't mind a special business inspection, like the one required for her kennel.

But she isn't for new licenses for groomers, which would cost more and might mean price increases.

Her biggest fear is knee-jerk regulations.

"Groomers need to be in the forefront and consulted on what is reasonable, what should be expected of us, and not lay people who are writing the laws out of a reaction of fear,”

In Washington, Mike Bober, of the professional pet groomers and stylists alliance, is working to get reasonable regulations in front of lawmakers.

The group issued a report this year that made suggestions about dryers and grooming tables that have been blamed in accidents.

"Certainly we consider enforcement to be one of the real reason that state level licensing is well intentioned but not likely to truly benefit the safety and well-being of pets,” he said.

But animal rights advocates disagree.

"We would fully support mandatory licensing and stricter laws on grooming in the grooming industry,” said Rachel Bellis, PETA community liaison.

PETA says people should learn how to groom their pets themselves.

If they can't, PETA says to find a groomer who makes house calls or stay with pets at the groomers.

"Don't leave them,” she said. “We wouldn't leave our children, why would we leave our animals?"

PETA says regulations should include continued training, advanced technology and not using equipment like cage dryers and tethers.

Back at Canine Shear Heaven in Asheville, Martha Worley's eight groomers all work in a big room together.

"We get to know each other well,” she said.

She says customers are welcome to take a look in the back anytime.

They trust her and she says that's something a regulation can't create.

"You're never going to get super rich but it's rewarding. Every day is rewarding,” she said.

North Carolina is not among states that are currently considering regulations for the $5 billion industry.

Only New Jersey, Massachusetts and New York are looking at passing new laws.

But you can take steps to make sure your pet is safe at the groomer.
    Always ask about qualifications and training.
    Tour the grooming area and look close at the equipment, like dryers and drying cages.
    Ask to see references and to talk to other customers.
    And as with any service, if you're not comfortable, walk away.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

if they government regulates grooming they should just kill the free market. You cant punish the whole for the deeds of the few. Animals are Property in the U.S. and people already complain about prices.in my experience The worst groomers are certified in one way or another. ITS JUST A PIECE OF PAPER! It's simple, during the dogs stay the owner of the salon is responsible for the dogs wellbeing. if their improperly trained groomer cuts a dog the shop better have insurance for such and incident. not that the groomer is blameless, but unless it was an intentional act its on the shop owner to pay the bills and make it right. Some stories i hear i wonder why the he$$ the owner even dropped the dog off.. but from experience i know some salon owners only care about $$$$$ and thats where the big incidents occur

Comment

At the Superzoo and Hershey there was talk of groomers helping, the alliance, haven't heard much since, anyone know?

Comment

Working...
      X