Drying Goldens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying Goldens

So as I browse back on old threads I see some people saying that they can bathe and dry a golden in about 30 minutes. I am still a newbie, and I find that Goldens in particular seem to take me forever to dry. For a bath and dry I would say it takes me about an hour. I generally towel dry as much as possible and then use the HV to finsh. I have a few questions for all of you speedy dryers as to your methods!

1: What would you say is average for a bath and dry on a golden?

2: I find that I have trouble telling if that coat type is still slightly damp until I let it rest for a few seconds with the dryer off of it. Are there any good visual cues so I don't have to stop and start?

3: I have seen people move the dryer both slowly, focusing on one area at a time or flicking quickly back and forth across a dog. Which do you find dries better?

I know this is super basic stuff, so I appreciate any advice!

A full coated Golden, like breed standard can take me upwards of an hour and a half. These skimpy Goldens you see in groom shops with less than half the coat can take a solid 40 to 45 with a proper bath, dry and brushing.

Place a towel on the table before drying to absorb flying water. I pull the cone nozzle once the coat is blown close to dry, then use no nozzle and get right into the coat to dry right to skin level. It really gets that last 10 percent of the dampness dry very quickly. This is all based on a K9 II dryer with 2 motors and heat.

Comment

I'm very new (like 10mos) to grooming. I have a couple things I do I've never seen or heard of anyone else doing I'm curious and would love for others to chime in on them. First is before toweling i hv in the tub a min or two to get the bulk of water off. Then I towel the head first cuz for me it seems the head and ears take forever and dogs don't like the blowing on the head, so my fresh dry towel goes there first then the rest of the body. Also i usually use another while hving in one hand to catch the spraying water. And finally this is my new method I've been loving when hving as I said starting with the head I have the towel long ways and grab the end of the hose with the towel. Ill have the dogs head about the middle of the towel and go at it. The towel channels the air to the dog without having to be so close and is much more tolerable to the dog also your air is going over the whole head at once and your getting more use out of it. You use ur other hand to keep and rub in towel to Dogs snout ears and all. It's been a game changer for me hopefully for u too lemme know what u think.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
        A full coated Golden, like breed standard can take me upwards of an hour and a half. These skimpy Goldens you see in groom shops with less than half the coat can take a solid 40 to 45 with a proper bath, dry and brushing.

Place a towel on the table before drying to absorb flying water. I pull the cone nozzle once the coat is blown close to dry, then use no nozzle and get right into the coat to dry right to skin level. It really gets that last 10 percent of the dampness dry very quickly. This is all based on a K9 II dryer with 2 motors and heat.
        Pretty close to my timing too, counting the bath time. I do a very quick pre brush on my before the bath on heavily coated. Bath even goes faster and clean IMO.

I don't think a thorough brushout is required before bath but one thing I know for sure is that the less undercoat the better I can really clean the pet quickly in the bath and thoroughly rather than waiting to blow it all out later.

Comment

We too are a bit old school and get about 60% of more of undercoat removed before a bath whether keeping the coat or a shave, Goldens or others. You do get a better bath and quicker dry to make up for it. Especially true if conditioning. Why condition coat you are going to remove, and doesn't that use more product? Something to think about. We may blow off some excess water and then towel dry real good, and HV. We counter dry so it is faster....Stephen convinced me of that after reading that here a few times, and so true. When you counter dry you actually dry the other side against the wall to a degree from the bounce of air off the wall. Never thought of that. Never going back to table drying, and yep, he said keep a bottle of water to spray the opposite wall side it dries so fast you may need to wet it down again when stretch drying. Glad I listened. Learn something all the time around here.

Comment

I use to groom 2 goldens from the same owner, every 8 weeks. One is thin, she has a pedigree so I think she's close to the standard, I groom her in a hour. I barely need to brush her out before bath. I use a HV dryer, and a towel on table another towel I set on her back and I dry under the towel, so the water get stuck in the towel. I've dried a Newfie in 40min with that technique.
            The other one hasn't pedigree, she's big, her hair is a nightmare she had much more undercoat! If I don't brush her out before bath, the undercoat gets matts! I groom her in more than an hour!

Comment

My trick for drying those wet golden heads is warm up your towel ( after shammying all over) I always do one quick blast them warm towel rub. Warm towel on head and put happy hoodie over top. The warm towel soaks up moisture like crazy. I also run my wall mounted fluff dryer at same time as grand daddy hv dryer

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess there is a difference between groomers, in that some consider a dog dry when it's dry. I consider a dog dry, when it's dry and de-shedded. I'm with Tom, in that a Golden takes a good hour to hour and a half when done like a 'show dog'.

Sure I could dry a dog and run a brush through it in 30 minutes, but no way is it what I consider a thorough job.

I do nothing before a bath. Whatever time you may save not bathing first, you spend brushing (or roughing in) anyway. I personally have come to really dislike touching dirty dog hair.

I do exactly what TonyFoxxy does, except the towel over the dryer thing. That sounds like something I might try.

Comment

Cold nose- what is counter drying??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PocketsBugBeast View Post
                    Cold nose- what is counter drying??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Drying on a counter

Comment

When I have a shedding Golden, I blow the shampoo into the coat with an HV dryer while he's damp in the tub. Brush off whatever's come loose, rinse then condition, blow the conditioner into the coat, quick brush again and rinse. I do this after an initial sudsing to break the oils in the coat and allow the second sudsing to reach the skin better. After that, I just towel dry, blow dry a little in the tub, move to my table, spritz with finishing spray and maybe a silicon spray if there are mats and/or pockets of undercoat still left. I have found that this method is the best one I've found to remove packed in undercoat while avoiding creating tangles. As long as I'm not disturbed by the phone or walk ins, I can have the bath generally done in 15 minutes and the dog 85% dry and completely deshedded in another 20-30 minutes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X