Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipper blade frustration!

Hi all,
    I've been a groomer for almost ten years and only in the last few months have my blades been mysteriously jamming. I'll stop, clean the small amount of fur out, start again, and within a few minutes it jams up again. Often it will happen on the more fine fur or if the blade hits a matt. This is happening with my 3 blades (including the skip-tooth), which I definitely use the most, but also with my 10 blade which should cut through ANYTHING! Here's what I've done: tried more oil, less oil, no oil, had the blades sharpened and re-sharpened, replaced the clipper drive on my Andis AGC 2-speed, and even bought a brand new #3 skip-tooth that started jamming almost immediately.

I love grooming and want to continue as long as my body will last but, with all this frustration, I've been thinking of an early retirement! I'm hoping with all the experience represented on these forums someone can give me some advice.

Many thanks,
    Tearing My Hair Out In Toronto

I'd be looking at your sharpener. I had a sharpener that used to do a great job, for years, but the last few years half the blades he would sharpen would clip for one or 2 swipes then just start pulling at the hair. If you oiled it you might get a swipe or 2 more then it'd start yanking hair again.
    Got a new sharpener and have virtually not had the issue since.

Comment

Have you replaced the blade hinge on your Andis lately?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bravura!!

Comment

You could have a bent hinge from slapping blades on your clipper. When its bent, nothing will cut when you put it on the dog. A loose hinge will do the same thing, tighten the screws.

Here is how to test your hinge:
          1. Close the tongue and try to open it with just your fingers. If you can pull it back at all its shot. The springs are broke on the inside and the bottom of the tongue will move back and forth causeing dragging.

2. Put a blade on your clipper, make sure its locked on while its running. Now take your finger and push up from the bottom of the blade. If you see the teeth do weird movements when you push up, your hinge is bent. Nothing will cut.

I know the first thing folks look at is the blade drive, but the hinge is as important

Hope this helps

-------------------------------------------
          Jeff Andrews
          Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
          Mobile, Alabama
          Groomer/Shop Owner
          251-232-5353
          www.northerntails.com
          [email protected]
          "You NOW Have A Better Choice"

“A certified Sharkfin and 44/20 sharpening service”
          **We sell Diamond Carbide Nail Grinding Wheels**

Comment

Thanks, MysticRealm. The guy who does my sharpening is well known in my area and I've developed a pretty good relationship with him. He did re-sharpen two of the blades that were affected and even checked out his equipment to make sure it was functioning properly. Also, because this is occurring with a brand new blade as well, I'm thinking it must be something else. I appreciate the info though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragynwing View Post
              Have you replaced the blade hinge on your Andis lately?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
              No, I haven't. Thanks, I'll check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by northerntailssharpening View Post
                You could have a bent hinge from slapping blades on your clipper. When its bent, nothing will cut when you put it on the dog. A loose hinge will do the same thing, tighten the screws.

Here is how to test your hinge:
                1. Close the tongue and try to open it with just your fingers. If you can pull it back at all its shot. The springs are broke on the inside and the bottom of the tongue will move back and forth causeing dragging.

2. Put a blade on your clipper, make sure its locked on while its running. Now take your finger and push up from the bottom of the blade. If you see the teeth do weird movements when you push up, your hinge is bent. Nothing will cut.

I know the first thing folks look at is the blade drive, but the hinge is as important

Hope this helps

-------------------------------------------
                Jeff Andrews
                Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
                Mobile, Alabama
                Groomer/Shop Owner
                251-232-5353
                www.northerntails.com
                [email protected]
                "You NOW Have A Better Choice"

“A certified Sharkfin and 44/20 sharpening service”
                **We sell Diamond Carbide Nail Grinding Wheels**
                Thanks very much, Jeff, I will definitely check it out. Until now, I never realized that the hinge could/should be replaced! I've had my clipper for 6+ years. It's been a real work-horse but like everything it's bound to need some maintenance eventually!

Comment

Originally posted by MsMousse View Post
                  Thanks, MysticRealm. The guy who does my sharpening is well known in my area and I've developed a pretty good relationship with him. He did re-sharpen two of the blades that were affected and even checked out his equipment to make sure it was functioning properly. Also, because this is occurring with a brand new blade as well, I'm thinking it must be something else. I appreciate the info though.
                  The guy that used to do my blades was also very well know and we had a relatively good relationship. He used to do an excellent job for years, but then for whatever reason no longer. He also would tell me how he double checked his equipment, or replaced something on it and NOW it should work fine, but it never did.
                  If it is with new blades (and it's not just a coincidence) then that probably isn't it, but just food for thought.

Comment

Update:

I replaced the blade hinge on my Andis AGC and it seems to be "somewhat" better. The #3 skip-tooth and my #10 were still pulling on the dirty fur but once the fur was clean, they cut much better. I really didn't notice any difference in the hinge tension from the old one to the new one or see that the old one was bent at all but I'm sure that replacing it was a good idea. It's an inexpensive part and my sharpener actually didn't charge me at all!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                    X