Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Using Human Shampoos on Dogs is Dangerous

http://topdogtips.com/why-using-dog-...-is-dangerous/

Did you know that prolonged use of human shampoo for dogs will ruin their skin? If not, then you better pay attention to the important things I’m about to tell you on using any type of human shampoos on dogs, and what consequences pet owners usually encounter when they do that. Because human shampoo is a cheaper option, a lot of pet owners choose to go this route when bathing their pets, but it’s a dangerous road to take....
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

I have never used a human shampoo that a customer brought in and asked to use, usually for discount. Yeah right.

Comment

This is a joke right?
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

We sometimes use Pantene on our show dogs right before a show. No ill effects but it's not something we use regularly. As for conditioner, go for it. Human conditioner is safe for dogs coats. I slather Nexxus Humectrus all over the drop coat then rinse after 5 minutes. Hair is like silk.

Comment

After reading it, i would love to get Birds opinion on this.
          Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
            This is a joke right?
            I'm hoping so. The author is certainly not well informed on other issues. She describes an ESA as a working therapy dog, which is absolutely false, and is illegally assuming her ESA has public access rights. She also recommends dog parks, which is silly for someone so convinced that a tiny PH difference could absolut key destroy her dog's skin and cause massive infections. You'd think she'd be more worried about the diseases and bacteria at the dog park.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
              We sometimes use Pantene on our show dogs right before a show. No ill effects but it's not something we use regularly. As for conditioner, go for it. Human conditioner is safe for dogs coats. I slather Nexxus Humectrus all over the drop coat then rinse after 5 minutes. Hair is like silk.
              I used Pantene on my Standard Poodle every week for years, never had a single problem with his skin during that time. I'm gonna give Nexxus Humectrus a try for my little Shih Tzu mix though. He could use a little silkifying.

Comment

Because I groom at peoples homes I get more saying you can use this shampoo. I tell them no unless it is a vet shampoo. We have a local vet that tells people they should only use pet labeled shampoos other than J&J baby shampoo. Whatever, if I agree with him or not I don't want someone going to that vet who would criticize me for using human products.

Comment

I'm a Firm Believer That absolutely no human shampoo should be used on dogs, not even baby shampoo. I'm noticing a lot of salons in my area use dawn dish soap on EVERY dog. which I only consider using if the dog is covered in oil otherwise if its a yeast problem i'll use dog shampoo for the specific problem, save the dish soap for the dishes lol.

Comment

I don't buy all this yet it is true that I don't use human products in house to play it safe too. If a vet said to do it, I would. I live in a state where it is easy to sue.

Comment

Here we go again. I would love to know if anyone has done any actual studies on this. I mean real, scientific controlled experiments. In all my years in this business, I have never seen any adverse effects from using human shampoo on a dog. Most of our shampoos are tested on animals anyway, right? At least the ingredients are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

So, who wrote the article ? a pet owner? a doggie daycare professional? because it seems like its written by someone who isn't a groomer . written for pet owners ? confused .

Comment

The biggest difference is the PH level. Us humans shower and wash our hair daily for most of us. For our clients, 1x a week is not very common. Most are 1 bath every 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 weeks apart. That frequency is too sporadic to cause a skin condition due to human shampoo use. Other factors like diet and allergies cause skin issues, not soap.

I would not recommend human shampoo anyway. It's actually way more expensive than a gallon of pet grade shampoo.

Comment

I had a customer come in and ask if I used human shampoos, I said no.

Comment

Originally posted by stacie-gotg View Post
                              After reading it, i would love to get Birds opinion on this.
                              http://petgroomermagazine.com/articl...uman-shampoos/

Here is Barbara Bird's article for PetGroomer.com Magazine and mentions this subject.
                              Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X