Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans Spend About $350 Million on Pet Costumes

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/1...stume-problem/

Right on cue, I woke up yesterday wondering if I might have a problem. Yes, the signs have been there day in and day out, week after week, month to month. But every year, it’s Halloween that really makes me look around my living room — at the cardboard and spray paint and hot glue guns and industrial-size tub of glitter — and think, “Hm.”

I devoted Sunday to drawing up plans for Murphy’s Halloween costume, and I’ll spend every night this week putting the finishing touches on his top-secret get-up. I’ve set aside one evening for tailoring, one for mobility troubleshooting, and another for rebuilding the portions that Murphy will inevitably maul during his many fit sessions.

Murphy, you see, is a dog. Murphy, unlike myself, has very little interest in what he's being for Halloween this year or who wins the office costume contest. The good news — well, for me, anyway — is that I’m not alone. Last Halloween, Americans spent around $350 million on pet costumes. Say what you will about the economy, but somehow we came up with $350 million to transform our Pomeranians into sillier looking Pomeranians for one night. $350 million. That’s a lot of raptor dogs............
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

That is a pretty amazing number. I would have guessed $50M max.

Comment

wow, that is a lot of money just on costumes. If that's what people spent on Halloween costumes, I wonder what the number is for Christmas outfits/presents

Comment

Amazing, I thought maybe a typo for 35 million

Comment

I heard on tv it is over 2 billion when you count people costumes.

Comment

Working...
          X