How do you feel about these statements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about these statements

A grooming business is very hard to grow, maintain solid employees and be profitable.

A grooming business is one of the least profitable businesses due to employee costs.

Groomers who set low prices create customers who view grooming as not a real occupation and more of a hobby.

The costs associated with running a store make it very difficult to stay ahead as a one person shop.

Mobile Vans have risen in cost over the last few years and have more noticeable failures/mechanical problems.

A grooming business requires the owner to be on staff, daily. It is impossible to afford a manager due to employee cost.

These were written by employees:

My boss gets paid to much, I only get 50%. That's not fair, I groom the dogs.

My boss says they can't afford to fix the dryers or get new cages, they are such cheap people.

I hate my boss, I constantly have to work Saturdays and I have kids.

My boss won't let let me leave early and I have kids to pickup from school.

All of these were recently written in facebook groups. Some were whole paragraphs and I just cut them down to a basic sentence.

Don't necessarily agree or disagree with first batch of statements.
    My own opinion on the hobby aspect stems from the extreme number of part time and casual groomers prevalent who groom to make enough to go on vacation/ pay for the baby shower/ pay for Christmas /etc and have no intention of building a clientele. These are the ones who help perpetuate the 'hobbyist ' groomer persona.

As for the second we of comments- If they have all that time to spend ranting on social media then they aren't the kind of people I want working for me or on my dogs. If you hate your boss - quit. If you want more money for your work - go independent and then see how much you actually have in our pocket at the end of the week. Help take care and maintain equipment instead of expecting it to be fixed or replaced did to negligence and carelessness.
    (Am willing to bet that the employees posting are all under 35 yo and are products of our lovely educational system of giving out prizes to everyone just for showing up )

Comment

I feel the first set of staments can have soem truth to them but also can be overcome with the right strategy and management to make a successful, profitable business. If they all were hard truths, grooming businesses would be going under left and right. Unfortunately to run a salon you need more knowledge than just how to groom dogs.

As for the second set I completely agree with Chewie and younger generations need to learn that everything isn't handed to us and we need to earn it ourselves. Poor attitudes and work ethic. In this day and age as well with employers checking candidates internet footprint people may want to think twice on what they are putting out there. Anyone with that attitude resume would go straight in the garbage. Plus if any of them could do basic math they would realize that the 50% the employer is getting after taking out cost and expenses doesn't leave much room to turn a profit. Common sense people!
      It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Common Sense...

Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
        Plus if any of them could do basic math they would realize that the 50% the employer is getting after taking out cost and expenses doesn't leave much room to turn a profit. Common sense people!
        And that's where the problem lies...not too many people have common sense these days.

Comment

I'm not sure about the first set.

But the second set...hey now guys, I'm fairly young (24) and have never had anything handed to me, lol. I work my butt off for the few things I do have. I don't get any hand outs.

Some people don't understand how much the equipment truly is. Maybe the boss can't afford it. I wouldn't get new stuff unless the other things are totally toast..

Also, random. What grooming groups are there on Facebook?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Several weeks ago, the national news did a story on the difference of the generations. People who were born between 1977 - 2000 were considered the Millennium generation. It said that this generation "works less" but expects to be "paid more". They said that 1 out of every 3 workers are from this generation.

Here is a quote from Forbes/Leadership webpage: "Most of us recognize that Millennials are the new generation of employees with very different workforce behaviors who not just familiar with collaboration tools but expect their work environment to allow or even encourage them to use these tools."

Happy being a Baby Boomer

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

My opinion.......if you are a manager with business sense in addition to grooming knowledge, I don't see why you could not grow a business. Having said that, at one point I considered adding employees and spoke to my hairdresser who owns a succssful shop about her setup. Her response, I wish I was alone.....reasons....constant drama....employee expenses....added insurance....etc.....She told me either plan to go really big and be prepared to have it consume your life or stay a one person shop so for me, it is a one person shop. It is just a matter of what you want and what you can handle in your life.

Comment

Some of the 'business' statements' can be true to a degree- I try to keep the philosophy of that I run my business, I do my best not to let my business run me.

As far as the 2nd statements, one has to remember the overhead all businesses have, and with my employees, if you want/need a day off- no problem- I tell them it's whatever they can afford. In other words don't cry when your check is a bit light. I do pay for holidays off after 90 days, and do what I can to keep everyone happy. People just need to be realistic in their expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                  Several weeks ago, the national news did a story on the difference of the generations. People who were born between 1977 - 2000 were considered the Millennium generation. It said that this generation "works less" but expects to be "paid more". They said that 1 out of every 3 workers are from this generation.

Here is a quote from Forbes/Leadership webpage: "Most of us recognize that Millennials are the new generation of employees with very different workforce behaviors who not just familiar with collaboration tools but expect their work environment to allow or even encourage them to use these tools."

Happy being a Baby Boomer

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                  NNNOOOOOOO, I'm a millennial!!!!! Hahaha. Hey, what happened to Gen X & Y? Last time I knew that is what me and my old man were considered and anyone born at the turn of the Millennium was a millennial.
                  It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                  Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I, too, am a Millennial. I am sure there are a lot of us who do fall into that stereotype of wanting more money for less work. However, I think the problem is deeper than that. For example, the older, more experienced "boss" does not train the younger employees because they don't need them to do the bosses jobs. They want to keep their own clients and they want everything to stay the way it is, and they don't leave. Once they do retire, the younger employees have no idea what is going on because no one ever taught them what to do.

I know a lot of millennials in the grooming business want to do high quality work and be paid accordingly but are stuck doing easy, cheap work and earning low wages for it because there is always someone older and more experienced who won't budge.

Finally, no groomer I personally know has time for this career and cares for a family. I cannot imagine doing it. Grooming to me is an all-consuming trade. I practice and research and study in addition to working full-time.

To answer your question: the first set of statements may or may not be true depending on a lot of different demographics like location, mobility, degree of work, prices, etc.
                    The second set of statements does sound whiney and unprofessional. However, it can feel like we're being stepped on, manipulated by, and taken advantage of by our employers based on our age and lack of experience; experience that they won't allow us to have. Again, I am sure this doesn't apply to every millennial employee. There are ones not worth keeping around. But from what I've experienced, it's a lack of communication and the huge gap between employer (who does not make their expectations clear) and employee (who is used to having a clear set of standards) that causes the problems, not just "those young'uns and their bad attitudes."

Comment

Some are accurate as I see it, some whining a bit, some said by victim thinking, but the good thing, anyone and everyone can conquer any of these things, all of them are not beyond dealing with, and not impossible.

Comment

Working...
                      X