Advice on taking a student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on taking a student

So, I've been presented with an opportunity to take on a student. The owners of a wonderful daycare/boarding business in the next town up want to get into grooming. The closest grooming school to us is 2 1/2hr drive each way, so they want to pay me to train their candidate.

Anyone have experience in this situation and would care to share their thoughts? I will be going thus Monday to meet their candidate, then she will come shadow me for a day to make sure it is what she wants to do. What questions should I ask? Anything I should look for in her behaviour?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have to know the stages of training, bathing, then asst work then styling. You gotta know you can do your grooms and still keep an eye on who you are training. i would pre test the person to see if it is really their passion and they have what it takes. Make sure they can handle large dogs, physical ability. How much time are they giving you, you need a few hundred hours.

Comment

I couldn't tell you where to get a contract but I would have something. You never know when a student will quit or just not work out.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. As it turned out, I didn't get the student. She sent a day shadowing me and decided it just wasn't for her.

Best she discovered it now instead of after I spent months training her

Comment

How did the meeting go, are you going to accept student.

Comment

No, she decided it wasn't for her after a day of shadowing

Comment

Originally posted by jemsadaar View Post
              No, she decided it wasn't for her after a day of shadowing

That doesn't surprise me. I know students do drop out of grooming school sometimes. I know our state regulates dropouts to make sure they get a refund by some state approved formula. I went to school in CA and you could drop out the first 5 days and get a full refund. It is good you learned this from her now.

Comment

Working...
              X