Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the heels of the PETA thread posted by Admin.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the heels of the PETA thread posted by Admin.....

It is maddening to me that out of thousands of beautiful groom jobs that happen every day you only hear about the hand-ful of injuries and chop jobs. While I am in no way condoning either of those I am sick of hearing an ever increasing tone of hysteria that implies groomers are a big bunch of untrained and uncaring people who just decided one day to pick up some shears and start making a ton of money chopping up other peoples dogs. There is no balance in the reporting of these stories which is typical in the media.......no one reports the good or takes pictures and interviews of those of us attending clinics and furthering education weekends. PETA doesn't have a clue!!!!

Well.....this happens with all professions with the open media that we enjoy today,.....the teacher or priest who molests a young child, the cop who shots someone, the groomer who cuts off a tongue....... What PETA has suggested is fairly good advice, people should ask about the groomer's education, and how many years she has been grooming. I can't see where any groomer would object to the "smell test" of their salon, or how well it is lit up and the cage sizes. I do see a problem with self grooming if it involves more than a bath, and watching a groomer....only because it disrupts the dog, not the groomer.

Happy taking it in perspective

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Agree with both.
      Since most people not read headlines and the first paragraph then skim the rest of the article they only get the dramatic points and not the full explanation. That leads to the imbalance of their information. Ex. 'PETA says I should watch you or groom a home'.
      I DO agree that owners need to ask questions and be more informed about who they are entrusting their pet to. They need guidance to know what type of things to look for so the PETA article can help there.

I equate it to finding a personal physician or going to an HMO.--- Are you getting personally involved in the decision and choice or just going on blind faith.

However, until there is some type of standardization in the industry the single 'bad apple ' incidents - the type of stuff that sells papers and evokes visceral responses - will lead the news.

Comment

Most ppl don't know how to check for a groomer. They just want cheap.....cheap usually involves under experienced groomers.....then wanna bitch to the media. Pfft!!!!!!
        I personally have a family member in a different state from me......she also is pretty much just pick up and grooming with not hi ng more than a JC short sweet certificate...she has built a shop and is now experiencing the "fun" (bad dogs, stupid owners ). So far all pics she has shared have been just bathed and brushed, add bows.....but she is practicing on rescue dogs, atm, and the dogs are getting adopted.
        I really hope she does well and turns into a wonderful groomer (she definitely has true love for all animals) and is honest with clients that she is a beginning groomer) I wish her nothing but the best!!!! I will help all I can but we live a loonngg way from each other.
        Anyway, I got off track I think, lol, one must have hands on experience and how is a new groomer to get experience if no one will use them?
        Last edited by Cyn; 10-17-15, 10:38 AM.
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

If I were looking for a groomer I would indeed ask some questions and look and smell their shop. I absolutely think this is necessary....what I find so provoking is the implication in many of these reports that as an industry most of us are incompetent and one has to search very hard to find a good groomer. I don't believe that is the case at all. I think most of us are caring and love our profession or we would not have gotten in it, let alone STAYED. Just my opinion!

Comment

There are more good Groomers and then there are bad. That's a fact. Good Groomers are those that are taking on this profession because they love what they're doing and can't imagine doing anything else. There are certainly easier ways to earn money. And ways that are a much gentler on our bodies. The poor groomers are the ones who can step into it thinking that The money they collect from grooming a dog go straight into their pocket., are in it only for a fast dollar (I think), or if you want to do it just for a little bit of extra pocket change with no hint of keeping it as a profession.We had several threads on this situation before, and you can get a little heated at times, but it still needs to be put out there periodically.

And before offended too many people there are even part time Groomers and casual Groomers who do fantastic work! But they are the ones who also have a passion and a drive for what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
              There are more good Groomers and then there are bad. That's a fact. Good Groomers are those that are taking on this profession because they love what they're doing and can't imagine doing anything else. There are certainly easier ways to earn money. And ways that are a much gentler on our bodies. The poor groomers are the ones who can step into it thinking that The money they collect from grooming a dog go straight into their pocket., are in it only for a fast dollar (I think), or if you want to do it just for a little bit of extra pocket change with no hint of keeping it as a profession.We had several threads on this situation before, and you can get a little heated at times, but it still needs to be put out there periodically.

And before offended too many people there are even part time Groomers and casual Groomers who do fantastic work! But they are the ones who also have a passion and a drive for what they're doing.
              Absolutely, the media is rarely friends to the people.

Comment

Working...
              X