Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is business much slower where you live in winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is business much slower where you live in winter?

I may have to move to Wisconsin for family reasons. Where I work now we have mild winters. How much slower is business in very cold winter areas?

None. But where you are going is well north of me. Still dogs need a bath, brush, nail trim and sloppy feet done. Promote that.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Yes I have worked in Minnesota and people still got in for holidays but definitely slump compared to Spring thaw and summer.

Comment

January February definitely

Comment

Nope, I am busy now straight through till probly August/September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It really depends. I used to own a shop in a big town a little north of me. We were definitely slower in the winter and got a bunch of ugly spring shave downs. Now I'm mobile, I just simply don't have slow downs. I was shocked when one of my newer customers didn't want to rebook after her last appointment because she doesn't do the dogs through the winter. She is only one of many though. All the rest book year round. I have no slow down and actually the first three months of this year were my busiest. It was crazy!

Comment

Where is Wisconsin will you be moving? We're in far northwest WI and it's VERY slow in the winter, by about half - lots of snowbirds that we won't see until spring. The larger metro areas, you won't have a problem...it's the small towns that are issues. I know...there are now 3 groomers in a town of 900 people... (and it keeps prices extremely low).

Comment

I live in Ohio where the snow gets bad. Last winter, very few cancelled because of snow. I also do home grooms and had to cancel one or two because of road conditions. But, I am talking about people who are on a regular schedule. There were many people who let their dogs go all winter because they believe they need all the matted hair to keep them warm. So, these are the spring shave downs. The only thing you can do is educate them that they still need their hair washed and brushed out, even if you don't cut any hair and offer them a cheaper price for just that.

Comment

Unless big storms, no. But friends in Montana tell me it is, but not real bad. They are hardy people.

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
                    Unless big storms, no. But friends in Montana tell me it is, but not real bad. They are hardy people.
                    Indeed! Lol. I walked to school in 2 feet of snow many, many times. The concept of a snow day was utterly unheard of. :P

I'm in Texas now, and I find the winter is actually more busy. We tend to have a lot of wet muddy days, and the dogs spend a lot less time outdoors, so more frequent grooming is necessary. I usually keep my own dogs in coat for the summer and shave them short in winter to fend off the mud.

Comment

Only if we get big big storms.

Comment

Working...
                      X