Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people think they can just pick up clippers and call themselves a groomer???!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do people think they can just pick up clippers and call themselves a groomer???!!

(Kind of a rant...)

Had a phone call today from a man wanting to know how to go about becoming a groomer. Says he's a barber and wants to do this bc he thinks there's "a lot of money to be made in grooming." Strike one. Then asks if it's an "easy thing to do." Strike two. I tell him that it is not always easy. We must deal with unruly dogs on a regular basis and there is SOOOO much more to grooming than just plopping it on the table and shaving it. I then go on to explain that many groomers start as bathers getting a few years under their belts learning the basics of what will help translate into a great groom. He tells me he wants to start doing this "now" and does not have the time to do that. "I will hire a helper who already knows that stuff." Strike three. I told him nicely that with that attitude, he won't go far in the grooming world. That if he is serious, he will seek out a job as a bather, find some willing to apprentice him, or go to school. And even then, he will still have so much to learn that you don't learn unless you continue education and get more hands on experience. I also tell him that being a barber is NOTHING like being a groomer. He then says "well, aren't most haircuts, other than poodles, just one length?" No. there are many breed standard clips and patterns he needs to know how to do, and a good groomer will not just do basic shave downs unless requested by the owner. That a haircut should accentuate the best features on a dog and also hide the not so great features--just like a good hair stylist would do. He then asks me if I will mentor him. HAHA. No. I've been doing this for 7 years--not nearly long enough for me to consider training someone other than to bathe, and certainly not someone who's just in it for the money. Then he says he talked to a girl fresh out of grooming school at the local box store, and that she said she would "teach" him. Wow. Just what this industry needs---more people thinking they can pick up clippers, watch a newbie, and call themselves a groomer.

Sorry for the rant, but these are the kind of people that really get to me, and IMHO, bring the grooming industry down. I just don't understand why people think this is such an easy thing to do and that anyone can do it. Sure, anyone CAN do it, but they must put forth the time, effort, and dedication to learn, just like any other profession. I was a bather for 3 years before I considered becoming a groomer. Then I apprenticed for 2 years with a groomer who had 30 years experience and I learned A LOT from her. To this day, I am grateful for the opportunity that was given to me. And I know I still have much to learn. And sure, there are people out there that this can come naturally to them, but even they must have a strong foundation of skills and knowledge of dog behavior/breeds/etc.

Sorry again for the rant...had to tell someone who understands. lol

I hear ya! Had one last week wanting to rehome her dog...then in the next breath want me to teach her to groom (she is a hairdresser) because groomers make more money! Told her I was not a teacher.....didn't feel like explaining since she was wanting to rehome her own dog because it was too much trouble to brush it.
    Last edited by Cyn; 10-13-15, 12:12 PM. Reason: can't spell
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I've heard that so many times!! Just become they own a clipper they think they can be a groomer. If I own a medical tool doesn't mean I can be a doctor right now.
      The ones who wants to be a groomer because they make money > please, maybe we make money because we love our job, that's a passion first and money is second. We can't work great without passion!

Comment

Recently a lady called and slammed us for our prices. She claimed she used to groom her old yorkie at home and insisted it shouldn't take us more than 10 minutes to give her new dog a haircut so she was not going to pay that price.

Comment

Pretzel, I think you handled him very well. You were thorough and not rude. I might have wanted to just say, "Well, you already own a clipper, why not give your own dog a haircut!"

sittingpretty

Comment

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
            Pretzel, I think you handled him very well. You were thorough and not rude. I might have wanted to just say, "Well, you already own a clipper, why not give your own dog a haircut!"

sittingpretty
            Yeah, it was really aggravating though. The actual conversation lasted about 15 minutes before I got fed up and politely told him I need to go. I wished him luck an hung up. Oh, and he doesn't own a dog. Doesn't fit into his "lifestyle" he said. Not that a groomer HAS to own a dog, but I'd say the vast majority of us do, or at some time did

Comment

Originally posted by tickedtabby View Post
              Recently a lady called and slammed us for our prices. She claimed she used to groom her old yorkie at home and insisted it shouldn't take us more than 10 minutes to give her new dog a haircut so she was not going to pay that price.
              haha! A few swipes with the clipper, a few snips with kitchen shears on the face, and BAM, DONE! ten minutes is all you need!

Comment

XDDDDD!!! They are crazy, that's impossible to wash/dry/trim in 10min!
                I make only few minutes to dry my hair but my hair look fab when done by the hairdressers compared to my kind of drying! Lol

Comment

I'm Worried they just used an actual blender to do this.. "I Heard the groomer say they used 42 teeth blenders, this one only has 4.... BZZZZZZZZZ *ARF ARF*

Comment

Gives a whole new meaning to "giving the dog a smoothie"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought about this some more, it reminded me that many yrs ago in mid-June, I had a call from a teacher, "Hi, I'm a teacher, we just finished up with school. I wondered if you could teach me to groom, so I could have an income during the summer?" I calmly said, NO .

sittingpretty

Comment

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
                        I thought about this some more, it reminded me that many yrs ago in mid-June, I had a call from a teacher, "Hi, I'm a teacher, we just finished up with school. I wondered if you could teach me to groom, so I could have an income during the summer?" I calmly said, NO .

sittingpretty
                        Great planning. Wonder what her lessons were like since she obviously didn't believe in preparation. ( my teachers had to have plans sketched out for each semester prior to the start with a full year outline In place before the we had students on property)

Comment

We bring this upon ourselves. As long as we have schools that are only a few hundred hours long and now "your a groomer", to on-line only classes and you have a certificate, to not taking certification seriously...and I'm including the certification groups in this statement....no wonder people think that anyone can groom.

When we insist that you have the education that at least a hairdresser has, when we realize you can't learn to groom solely from an on-line program and when the certification groups start standing up and advertising TO THE PUBLIC the reasons to employ a certified groomer (and insisting that getting a certificate from the school is NOT the same as certification) THEN I think we will be viewed as a real profession.

Until the day she died, my Mom was still waiting for me to "get a real job". Gee Mom, I've been doing this for 40 years....this IS my Real Job!

namaste....dogma

Comment

When I say how long I've been in school for become a groomer, their face is priceless especially +65yo woman who want to reconsider their life and become a groomer. "I thought the notice came with the clipper" lol soon we'll hear that if anyone already heard!

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                              We bring this upon ourselves. As long as we have schools that are only a few hundred hours long and now "your a groomer", to on-line only classes and you have a certificate, to not taking certification seriously...and I'm including the certification groups in this statement....no wonder people think that anyone can groom.

When we insist that you have the education that at least a hairdresser has, when we realize you can't learn to groom solely from an on-line program and when the certification groups start standing up and advertising TO THE PUBLIC the reasons to employ a certified groomer (and insisting that getting a certificate from the school is NOT the same as certification) THEN I think we will be viewed as a real profession.

Until the day she died, my Mom was still waiting for me to "get a real job". Gee Mom, I've been doing this for 40 years....this IS my Real Job!

namaste....dogma
                              Very true dogma

Comment

Working...
                              X