deathly afraid of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deathly afraid of water

new husky mix the other day. Dad says will be very bad for the bath bc "deathly" afraid of water. Great, I'm thinking. OMG. I have never seen a dog freak out the way this one did. As soon as she saw the hose and nozzle, she went vertical and trying to escape. You can imagine the rest. Luckily, she wasn't a biter. It took a while, but I got her bathed. I got a shower too in the process. At checkout I tell the man I was expectind bad, but WOW, ,that's the worst I've ever seen. I asked what happened to her to make her so afraid. "I really don't know, but when we bathe her at home, we put her in a large stand up trash can filled with water and hold her down." I just wanted to smack that man. Does he not realize that doing that to her DOES NOT help at all, and probably makes her more afraid. Even though I did not enjoy bathing her, I asked him not to do that anymore. Instead bring her to me so I can try to work with her and she can at least be bathed in a tub and not a trash can.

Or for dog's sake, are you kidding me? What an idiot!
    Not just that he does that, but he really has no clue why his dog is afraid of water.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
      Or for dog's sake, are you kidding me? What an idiot!
      Not just that he does that, but he really has no clue why his dog is afraid of water.
      Agreed! Huskys are not fond of baths to start with and they do THIS to one...hold her in a trash can, it is a wonder she is not a biter!!!!!
      Hope you get to work with her Pretzel, the ONE I do is fantastic for bathing and drying and brushing, Now, lol......after many many battles, I just worked with her and told owner (old friends dog) to STOP, whatever they were doing to bath her at home.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

OMG they do that to their dog? Unbelievable.

Comment

Don't want to hijack thread but let some of the younger groomers be aware of this
          ......how many remember the old "Dip" tank? Ya know the tank of dip where dog were dunked all the way from toes to nose in pesticides........

Comment

yeppers; kennels I worked in had this, as did the shelter . Every dog coming into the shelter was dunked; every dog coming into boarding in the kennel was dunked. cold stinky water, and none too clean after a while.

Comment

I bathed a little peke/beagle mix yesterday; that thought the water and shampoo contained acid; she barked and moaned at the top of her lungs like a tiny squat husky the whole bath. Then discovered she had fleas so had to do another shampoo with flean shampoo and make her sit there in it.

Comment

We do at least a dozen huskies with almost no problem but we have a relaxed environment and great bathers I guess. Sure they take some extra handling by the bathers to calm them but amazing to hear these intense stories. But that owner made the situation much worse, sorry to hear that. That's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                  Don't want to hijack thread but let some of the younger groomers be aware of this
                  ......how many remember the old "Dip" tank? Ya know the tank of dip where dog were dunked all the way from toes to nose in pesticides........
                  I have always heard of dips, and people ask me all the time to dip their dog, but I had no idea it was actually a tank the dog would be dipped in!

Comment

Originally posted by violet2 View Post
                    We do at least a dozen huskies with almost no problem but we have a relaxed environment and great bathers I guess. Sure they take some extra handling by the bathers to calm them but amazing to hear these intense stories. But that owner made the situation much worse, sorry to hear that. That's the problem.
                    Oh yes, I've bathed many a husky without much trouble, even is they don't like the water. And plenty of other dogs that were bad in the tub, and have been able to work with them to calm them. This was just such a serious case amplified by what the owners do to her. When the man told me what they do, I was shocked. I thought he was kidding at first, but nope. It's sad that they think this is "normal" behavior and that they don't realize the real problem of holding her down in a trash can with water. The poor girl probably thinks she's going to drown, so I understand her fear.

Comment

Originally posted by edderland View Post
                      Then discovered she had fleas so had to do another shampoo with flean shampoo and make her sit there in it.
                      Ugh I hate when that happens!

Comment

Originally posted by Pretzel View Post
                        I have always heard of dips, and people ask me all the time to dip their dog, but I had no idea it was actually a tank the dog would be dipped in!
                        No, it was a tank filled with dip. Dog were pretty much just thrown in and when they surfaced they were plucked out. I never had to use one,.Thank God, but for yrs dips were the only way we had to kill fleas and ticks. I always sponged and poured dip on the dogs I did.

Comment

I remember the days of dips, but most groomers just added the dip to the shampoo and didn't literally dip the pet into a tub or container of liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by coldnose View Post
                            I remember the days of dips, but most groomers just added the dip to the shampoo and didn't literally dip the pet into a tub or container of liquid.
                            Most groomers didnt....but vets and boarding kennel and dog pounds sure did....it was awful!!!!! Oh yea, we had dog pounds where they euthanized after 3 days, and euthanasia was usually a cylinder gas chamber.... wasn't anything like the shelters and rescues we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                              Oh yea, we had dog pounds where they euthanized after 3 days, and euthanasia was usually a cylinder gas chamber.... wasn't anything like the shelters and rescues we have now.
                              In those days and even later until animal right groups got on them, the state of Hawaii put dogs in a centrifuge and SPUN them to death. Some Aloha spirit.

Comment

Working...
                              X