Airedale puppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airedale puppy

Hi all! I have a 5 month old Airedale coming to see me Monday. New client. To be honest they are NOT a popular breed around here so I have never actually groomed one. Lots of experience with bathing and brushing this breed, but not grooming. She has decided handstripping is not practical for her pet, rather clipping would be better. I told her for his first visit a bath and face feet and sani would be best. IF he is good, I wil do a full clip. I'm not so concerned with the lines and whatnot for the groom. BUT I would like some input on the breed as far as what to expect and how a 5 month old May behave. In the past, the Airedales I've worked with have either been a dream, or total nightmares. I really want to help get him used to grooming with as little stress as possible. Since I know not a lot about this breed, any advice is welcome. I figure if all else fails, ill just do what I can and try to make progress at each groom in the future.

I think your idea of mainly a bath, face, feet and sani is a great idea. Neaten feet. It may be enough.

Comment

Do you remember back a few decades when Airedales were pretty huge? I do.

Comment

Originally posted by 4them View Post
        Do you remember back a few decades when Airedales were pretty huge? I do.
        I do too!
        OP, I have decided MOST of the time how a dog acts(no matter what breed) depends on its owners and its groomer.
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I generally tell 1st time puppy grooms that the emphasis is on providing a positive experience and getting them used to things. That said, the first groom is often a bath, brush out with sanitary trim/nails/pads and as much face as safety allows.

For your Airedale, you might be able to start setting in the pattern with a long guard comb and do the rest as above.

Have fun. If you get to train properly you could have a great dog to work on. I have a couple of Welsh Terriers through that I LOVE doing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
            I do too!
            OP, I have decided MOST of the time how a dog acts(no matter what breed) depends on its owners and its groomer.
            I agree....think I'm going to keep it simple and go from there. Just wasn't sure if there was something specific about Airedale behavior I should know. I'm lucky that I'll be the first groomer working with him and the owner seems willing to work with me

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post

For your Airedale, you might be able to start setting in the pattern with a long guard comb and do the rest as above.

Have fun. If you get to train properly you could have a great dog to work on. I have a couple of Welsh Terriers through that I LOVE doing now.
              That's what I'm hoping...refreshing to get to work on something other than a shih tzu or yorkie or poodle cross!

Comment

I've had shops in 3 different locations in 2 different countries, and all of the airedales were great dogs to work with. Yes, some are on the big side, but most have great hair. I think since they're not a popular breed (don't know why-best kept secret) they haven't been mass -produced by back-yard breeders-hence a stable temperment. You'll love this dog!
                Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

KarlaSnyder, I agree with you! They can be on the large size but have not been one of the breeds that has been "over" bred. I have only met good ones and as I don't do large dogs anymore, I will probably never meet a bad one.
                  Pretzel, I am always glad to get something besides a yorky, poodley, or maltese. Bring me all the terriers (except the big ones, I am too old, lol.)
                  Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Just keep in mind they are big babies, I groom 4, and one was 4months old when I've done him for the first time and he was huge, I've only done head with my quiet clipper, mom was there and all was fine and today he's the biggest of my Airedales and he really let me do whatever I want! The same owner has 2 others and the second one get bored by the end so I do his head right after drying because he gets nervous after that and I can't touch his head with my clipper (the first time he been groomed was with a groomer who's angry all the time I think because their 12yo old female tried to bite her multiple times and she never did with me!)

Comment

I agree with Cyn. Love all the terriers I get to do ( except for the thousands of yorkies that come through).

Comment

I have groomed a lot of them thru the years and only one was bad; he was an intact male with no training and 2 years old for his first groom. I have done tons of puppies and was able to do a full groom on all of them.

Comment

Working...
                        X