Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Thumbtack?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is Thumbtack?

    I keep getting ads for this in my email. Quotes for grooming?
    Enlighten me please.


    Thanks....dogma

  • #2
    My husband signed on to tack for his magician business about 3 weeks ago. He gets several leads a day and only one in the past 2 1/2 weeks has even gotten close to hiring him. But, he has had people contact him with questions so it seems to be legitimate.

    I looked for mobile dog groomers in our area and got 1 response. I don't know if it's a "great" way for clients to find a groomer, but it's not expensive and may be the new Angie's List.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BDL View Post
      My husband signed on to tack for his magician business about 3 weeks ago. He gets several leads a day and only one in the past 2 1/2 weeks has even gotten close to hiring him. But, he has had people contact him with questions so it seems to be legitimate.

      I looked for mobile dog groomers in our area and got 1 response. I don't know if it's a "great" way for clients to find a groomer, but it's not expensive and may be the new Angie's List.
      If you are looking for a mobile groomer in your area, just Google "mobile pet groomer in XXXX" OR go to WagnTails.com and on the first page, it will ask you to put in a zip code and it will find all the nearest mobile groomers who own WGT in your area.

      Happy owning a WGT

      Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

      www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dolly View Post
        If you are looking for a mobile groomer in your area, just Google "mobile pet groomer in XXXX" OR go to WagnTails.com and on the first page, it will ask you to put in a zip code and it will find all the nearest mobile groomers who own WGT in your area.

        Happy owning a WGT

        Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

        www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
        I don't need a mobile groomer; I am a mobile groomer. I was helping my husband decide if he wanted to use Thumbtack for his business. Since I found a single groomer in our area it might be something I will try in the future. His concern was it being some kind of scam instead of a useful service.

        Comment


        • #5
          BDL...that was my concern too..that it might be some kind of scam. It sounds like it's a lowest bidder thing? People ask what you charge and then choose to do business with you according to your bid. Is that correct?

          dogma

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dogma View Post
            It sounds like it's a lowest bidder thing? People ask what you charge and then choose to do business with you according to your bid. Is that correct?
            dogma
            This doesn't sound like a good idea for the groomer. First, you never give a quote without seeing and feeling the dog. Second, why would you even want to be a lowest bidder?

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree it really doesn't fit all the variables we deal with by dog or cat.

              Comment


              • #8
                I hate hate hate tack. My husband signed us up for it thinking it'd be a good way to draw in new clients. Well, it isn't. First of all, you have to PAY for the stupid credits to give quotes to people who could easily call you to get a price quote. Secondly, I think it devalues our work as groomers, because no matter what, these people are just going to go with whoever is cheapest and not make a decision based of the skill and quality of the groomer/establishment. I get texts all the time....which reminds me that I really need to try to delete the account or whatever you do to be rid of them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know a lot of dog trainers that use it and are very sucessful. It isn't always about the lowest bid, but it is quote based.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BDL View Post
                    My husband signed on to tack for his magician business about 3 weeks ago. He gets several leads a day and only one in the past 2 1/2 weeks has even gotten close to hiring him. But, he has had people contact him with questions so it seems to be legitimate.

                    I looked for mobile dog groomers in our area and got 1 response. I don't know if it's a "great" way for clients to find a groomer, but it's not expensive and may be the new Angie's List.
                    You live with a magician! That must be interesting.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It does seem a problem though if you don't have all the info you need.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Finally got a chance to take a quick look at their website.
                        Yes, you pay for credits in order to be able to give quotes.
                        You are able to answer questions, post pictures of your work, etc.
                        I believe that the person looking to hire a professional is allowed to contact 5 businesses. (I did a quick read, so I might have not understood completely)

                        What I have been receiving in my email box are messages similar to: "I have a Lab. I want to travel no further then a 10 miles radius from my house. I normally do my dog myself. I would like to pay between $20--$40)

                        You can then contact this person and say: "I'm a full service salon, specializing in Labs. I include nail trim, bath and brush for $40. And blah, blah, blah...."

                        The person then decides which of the businesses that he contacted would be the best fit for him. It wouldn't necessarily be the cheapest as other variables would factor in....such as "shop A is more expensive but is closer....shop B is cheaper but a further drive".

                        I guess my real question was "has anyone used this service and what did you think?" "Is it a scam?" "Are you just hit up with a bunch of looky-lous?"
                        It seems from your answers that it works for some and is a hassle for others. Seems like most agree it's a hassle.

                        Just curious.
                        Thanks for your answers

                        dogma

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by coldnose View Post
                          You live with a magician! That must be interesting.
                          OMG you have no idea the things he can do with a single deck of cards. He is awesome! I can testify to this fact; magician's minds work differently than most of us. I see some kind of every household item...like a rubber band, he creates a magic trick in a few minutes that leaves me guessing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I sure would appreciate hearing more experiences with this in the future. I am now seeing it advertised on TV here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This idea seems to have started with Amazon and now more and more a copying and I expect more, but none of them seem to work best possible considering grooming needs, but I like the idea.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X