Bathing vs. Grooming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathing vs. Grooming

Quick perspective: I am currently being trained to groom. I'm not 100% there yet; I'm doing pretty well with the clipper work and I've started scissoring, but not much.

I read that it can be hard to find committed bathers for some salons. I started working as a bather because I love the salon, I love dogs, and I love the work. I started training as a groomer because I'm barely making more than minimum wage bathing and groomers get paid more. I also tend to get a little antsy when I'm not learning anything new. My question is would it be pertinent at all to suggest I keep bathing, but with a pay raise and more responsibilities, like adding feather trimming and quick shavedowns? Or should I just go with the grooming training, no questions asked? Which would make me more valuable as an employee in your salon?

I think stepping up to a bather/prepper is very useful. Being able to do FFT's, light feather trims, and nails/ears/brush outs means you could handle all dogs that don't need a full groom. That's great from an employer's point of view because it's cheaper to pay you to do it hourly than to pay a full charge groomer their commission. The other groomers may not be thrilled with the situation though--they could be losing easy money dogs. Really depends on your shop dynamic.

I think it wouldn't hurt to approach the shop owner with the idea, as long as you are careful about it and leave him/her a way to say no gracefully if it doesn't sound like something they want for their shop.

Comment

I think the bottom line is where you want to take your future. If you dont want to eek by financially then becoming a groomer will provide you with more money. More skills more money. If you pose the question to your boss would they be willing to pay you more? Ask her where skills are needed. A big factor here is what do you want for your future and not the salons needs.
      Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Working...
      X