Closed after Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed after Christmas?

I used to work in a shop that closed from Xmas day till just after New Years. Now that I have my own place, I plan to do the same thing. For a vacation and renovations that need to be done. Just curious if any of you close down or work at a shop that closes for that week and a half or so after Xmas. I'm still debating whether or not to be open Xmas eve...

Oh man I wish! If I had my own shop I would deffinately close for a week or so after xmas. Most of the private shops in my area are closed from xmas eve to new years.

Comment

Smaller shops closing for that period helps explain why I have an influx of new clients then. That week can be one of the busiest I have

Comment

Since all of my clients are prebooked in a set rotation ( 3-8wks) they are all either fit in before xmas or after my holidays ( I'm always closed from 25-1)... What kind of last minute client are you getting that doesn't plan ahead? I tend to overwork that time of year and look forward to visiting with my family. I think in small town people expect you to be closed. Heck there are two Greek/ Italian restaurant that close for a month every summer to go back home!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
          Smaller shops closing for that period helps explain why I have an influx of new clients then. That week can be one of the busiest I have
          I can believe that! esp since you are in south florida where it doesn't get cold like it does here. I'm sure I'll lose a few people who didn't make the arrangements necessary to get in before Christmas, but this is the only time of year I can actually get away to visit family far away, so I just have to accept that. Hopefully my clients will understand and book ahead of time so they aren't shut out.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
            I rarely close that week because its usually super busy for us. People who Christmas the week after and those who have NY parties...
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Pretzel, just keep it consistant when the shop will be closed, and post it way ahead of time, your clients will get used to it and the ones that get upset will either get over it or are clients that arent loyal to you anyway.

Comment

I do close (Im mobile so literally not driving lol) to 12/24 to 1/2, my clients know and sincerely I don't get any calls on my Christmas holidays to book an appointment for Christmas holidays. They do get it, we all need vacation and Christmas is family time! I think they understand more about Christmas holidays than being close for a month in August!

Comment

Originally posted by kaida714 View Post
                  Pretzel, just keep it consistant when the shop will be closed, and post it way ahead of time, your clients will get used to it and the ones that get upset will either get over it or are clients that arent loyal to you anyway.
                  good point! I am actually putting out my signs today and sending out an email to everyone explaining the holiday closures. And making sure all regulars pre book now. Most are pretty good about it, but there's always someone calling to get in "right now" and I can't always do that.

Comment

Good idea. I mentioned it to my boss too. The day I want off besides Christmas is the following day, and then go back to work. Fortunately my boss closes the 25th and 26th, but open 27th unless it is Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                      I rarely close that week because its usually super busy for us. People who Christmas the week after and those who have NY parties...
                      ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

It's a good time for a vacation and to close shop. My mobile business is slower that week and even slower in the week after New Years. Picks up around Super Bowl week. We still have our regular rotation clients, but they could be pushed a week out. My groomers on the other hand would want to be paid for lost time. I don't do paid time off.

Comment

We may close the day after Christmas but we do LOTS and LOTS of pets thru December 31. There are many people that give New Years parties that want fresh pets and some of the customers take that week off, so easy for them to get in. Slower January is a just a week away then, so we pack them in but I do like the 26th off, everyone gets a 2 day break at least. December 29 and 30, the whole crew is booked easily.

Comment

You know what else is funny working week after Christmas. You get more presents, and goodies and goodies. I guess from their parties and gifts they don't keep, we get plastered with cakes, sweets you name it.

Comment

I would rather for the good of the business take extra time off AFTER January 1. We do get people that will book right after Christmas if they couldn't get in and so true, some want pets groomed for NY Eve parties. We are pretty busy that week.

Comment

Working...
                              X