Renting Out My Home Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting Out My Home Shop

After being diagnosed with heart failure, I've decided that renting out my shop would be a better alternative than grooming one pet a day. Thinking of charging by the day the cost of one groom. Perfect opportunity for someone, and great for a newer groomer as I would be around to give them instruction if they needed it. Love teaching anyway, but just don't want to commit to anything on a daily basis. I have so many nice clients, it would be hard to choose who to keep and who to drop only doing 20 dogs a month. A lot of my clients would give the new groomer a try, so they would have some to start. Pick what days they want to work, and I could do my special clients and my own dogs on her off days. What do you all think of this idea? Hardest part would be finding that person.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

What a wonderful opportunity for a new groomer. But you're right, the key would be finding the right person

Comment

Sounds like a wonderful solution.

Comment

Perfect idea. Maybe admin will let you put up an ad to find the help.

Comment

Karla...I have a friend that did that. She has a really cute shop in her garage. She tried it twice, and both times she didn't have very good luck.
          The problem she ran into was that people just didnt show up for work. They knew they had dogs booked, they just didn't show. So then clients would come knocking on her door asking what was going on....and "then can you do my dog today? Can I just leave him here? I'm on my way to work and don't have time to run back home".

For the right person I think this can really be a nice thing. It's just finding the right person.

Good luck...

namaste....dogma

Comment

Thanks for that, dogma. Something to consider. I hope to get some sort of contract signed. Maybe if dogs are booked, and they don't show up. they will still owe that day's rent. If they are ill or whatever, it should be their responsibility to notify clients. Anything less should cause their contract to void. Admin, any thoughts on things to consider?

Groom on!!!

Comment

Karla....my friend rented out her space by the month. I believe they had a lease but not totally sure. So yes, rent is due for the entire month, whether they are working that day or not. It is no different then renting a store front. My landlord could care less how many days I work or take off, as long as the rent is fully paid at the end of the month.

Oh, but that brings to mind....you may check into restrictions that you want to include and see if that is legal to do.
              For instance, you might want to say that you don't want this business running on the weekends. Or that you don't want clients arriving at 5 am. Or that you don't want clients there on major holidays. This is your home afterall

Soooo....if they are renting space from you to run their business, is it legal for you to put those stipulations in a contract.
              Just something to think about.

dogma

Comment

Something I found out the hard way is that most people are financially illiterate. So it is up to the landlord to inquire about their finances and learn whether or not they can afford the rental, even if they swear up and down that they can. I would suggest writing everything out in clear language, then having them review and sign a rental agreement that not only covers the rental but your teaching and any other issues. For instance, if they turn out to be disruptive by inviting friends over to watch them work, can you cancel the rental agreement? Put that you can do so in your agreement. It's just about being clear and honest, so that everyone knows where they stand from the start.

Comment

Did you rule out entirely hiring a groomer as an employee?

Comment

Since it is in your home I worry about renting out. Employee sounds better if you can handle it.

Comment

Would not be enough income hiring an employee. Been there done that years ago. This groomer would pay by the day-maybe weekly or bi-weekly, and be a true IC. My shop is not actually in my home, but a separate addition that I had put on when I moved here (the house I grew up in).

Groom on!!!

Comment

the more I think about this I see problems. Having an employee seems simpler.

Comment

It might be hard to let go with the shop being on your property. Even if you rent to someone who wants your help and advise, they may grow tired of it and then things will go south.

Comment

Working...
                          X