No show new employee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No show new employee

Months ago I hired a groomer and one her first day of work, she was a no show. She was really quite passionate about the job, good references as they can be, She didn't answer a letter I sent, she didn't answer email, text or phone.

Yesterday she calls me. Apparently she had met someone and her passion for him was more than the job and she moved in with him about 100 miles away. Well didn't work and she is back here staying with a friend. Now get this, she asked if there was still room for me to hire her, and she started sobbing.

I was flabbergasted, you got to be kidding. I told her reliability is one of the main factors I hire a groomer, and how could she possibly say she would be now. Sob, sob, I am sorry she said.

I said I am sure you are, but I am running a business and have no room to take chances right now.

Good for you. Am very weary of those who turn on the waterworks in professional environs. Is it any wonder then why women are not considered professional when faced with challenges.
    In this case you most definitely made the right decision. If you had brought her on board you'd be recieving a string of reasons why she couldn't come in, or had to leave early, or she just wouldn't show again for some other ( male) reason.

Comment

I have had at least 2-3 people just simply not show up for their first day of work. They never call or email or give any reasoning why they decided to not work for me after acting excited to have been hired. A couple of these people I hired within 2-4 days of starting and they didn't show up. It's not even like they were starting 2 weeks from when I hired them so had tons of chances to get hired somewhere else!

Comment

Things like that are why groomers get the rep of being flaky, good for you for handling it so well

Comment

Good for you. Over a guy? Sorry I have to make sure i can take care of myself.

Comment

I agree with your decision. Reliability is so critical in our line of business.

Comment

You don't want drama like that in your shop.

Comment

Too risky. Leaving over a guy, well young at heart and learning life's lessons, I would be wary too of hiring her again.

Comment

I agree with everyone else and you absolutely made the right decision. If you was willing to just drop you for a situation like that without even at least a courtesy call saying her situation changed and apologizing, than any one of life's little hiccups may mean her not showing up.
                  It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                  Henry David Thoreau

Comment

You did the right thing. Reliability of many groomers makes me weary of having employees.

Comment

I have gone though the same and very similar experiences more than once , more than twice.....

I don't give you second chances, this is my business, and its there choice to fit in, come in or get out.

This game is ridiculous and the worst part is that these same groomers jump to 5 other shops in the same year. Very unprofessional people in this industry and it seems higher than any other industry I've been involved in. Employers need standards.

Comment

I hope I would never fall for a guy that leads me to do this. OMG no no no.

Comment

Enough headaches in grooming you don't want to worry about someone who did this to you.

Comment

My mother had a similar story of this happening to her, but in a way worse. It is about 3 weeks before Christmas, booked every day, lead groomer goes out and meets a guy, falls in love, he is taking her to Paris in a couple days. Informs Mom. You would do this at Christmas rush to us. Yes, she did.

As a business owner Mom had to call her customers and say we are going to do your pets, but we might run overtime as a result. She said these challenges come to owners and the first thing is you make it right for your customers and keep your commitments. She didn't quite know how we would get it done, but commitments in business are important even if it meant working extra hours every day. Once that was settled, a miracle happened. Two groomers who had retired from grooming came into the business about 2 days into the mess. They said, we know it's Christmas and you probably need extra help, we miss the pets, do you need some extra help? You bet. Mom felt it was a sign, a lesson, her business principles, and faith that it would work out and it did.

Some years later, like 12 to 15 years, and we had already sold the business and become consultants, and Mom had written From Problems to Profits book, we were at the business giving a week long business course to groomers, and what are the odds for this to happen. We had never heard from this groomer but had heard she was back from Paris in a matter of days, didn't work out. Now many years later she walks into the business, and my mother hadn't been in the business for years either. She is talking to the group and who walks in but this groomer. We took a break and the groomer said hello and immediately said to all, I am the one that made a really bad mistake and hurt Maddie and business. And then gave Maddie a sort of apology, but obviously she was embarrassed and never thought Maddie would be there after having sold the business long ago. My mother would never rehire her, especially having done this during the busiest 3 weeks of the year.

Yes, there are males and females both that "fall in love" and follow the passion, walk out on jobs, and it ends up tanking.

Comment

Working...
                            X