Grooming a nursing mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming a nursing mother

I'm going to ask this question, even though someone was very rude last time I asked a question about grooming nursing mothers. (Made the comment that I should study up on the creatures I'm grooming and that there's more to grooming than cutting hair. Forgive me for not knowing it all, but I never had an instance where I was in this situation. ). Well, that's what I'm trying to do, learn (and by the way people did have differing opinions). I received a call from a person who's poodle was pregnant, unbeknownst to her. It had a puppy 4 weeks ago and know the poodle is extremely matted. She wanted to know if I would groom the mother. From others information I understand that you have to be careful around the teats and use a very mild shampoo, and rinse extremely well . Also, for the safety of the puppy that I should probably do it first thing with a disinfected van, clean clothes, etc. For those of you that are familiar with it, would using Kelco Dr. Hypo be a good shampoo to use? (It states that it is even safe for newborns). Is there anything else I should know. Thank you, in advance, for your help.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

I think Helly would be great to answer this one. I learned about some disease dogs can carry. I'm not going to groom any more prego or nursing moms now, it's such a risk. That would be a fine shampoo to use though. Any hypo shampoo, and it's always best to make sure you rinse extremely well to help keep any dogs skin good. Plus I know what you mean by people being rude. I think that (at least on the last board) there were a couple people that would only post if they could lay into someone about something.

Plus I did 3 nursing moms a couple weeks ago, I just used a regular shampoo diluted a bit more than supposed to be and just rinsed extremely well. That's gotta be better than the dirt and **** mom picks up while she's outside going potty.
    Becky

Comment

Hi,
      I am so sorry that someone was rude to you. I hope that they are not on the new board and that it was the old board. I pretty sure that is not what Stephen had in mind for the boards.
      I breed Shih Tzus and always bath my mommies with in 24 hours of having the puppies. I use Oxyfresh shampoo because it is non toxic, bio degradeable and all that good stuff. You do have to be careful around the teets as they will cut easy, I use my trimmers vs a 15 about a week before a whelping and just take her down all around the teets but since you are getting her after the fact just be careful around them. If the shampoo you have says safe for newborns you should be OK to use it. I would just make sure that you rince the belly really good. Hope this helps
      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
      Nancy

Comment

My only advice is rinse, rinse, rinse.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I don't see any problem with grooming Mom. It probably would be a good idea to do her first, and as an additional precaution I'd disinfect my shoes as well as the van. Shoe's obviously can carry a great many pathogens.

Hypo A shampoo and conditioner, or no conditioner. Keep the clip simple; a kennel cut. It'll get less messy as puppy starts pestering and playing with Mom. No cologne, bows, bandanna, etc.

I'm assuming puppy will stay in the house, right?

Comment

One thing to remember is to groom her and get her done as fast as you can because her puppy will be going hungry till you do get her done. Plus travel time to and from your shop the pup could be pretty hungry by the time mommy gets home, but at 4 weeks they should already be getting weened anyway. If she isn't weening them yet it might be a good chance to start.

Comment

I also use Hypo, Davis or Natures Choice or an Oatmeal and rinse rinse rinse. If I trim like others mentioned I am extra careful around the teats even though if they are like humans I am sure she has no feeling in them anymore!!! That last comment was for us Mommies that nursed......lol
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Poodlefluff- Four weeks is still "a bit" early to start weaning most pups... and during a grooming appointment isn't exactly an idea situation to start the process, IMO.

furrybest- Sanitize EVERYTHING you can before the appointment. Use hypo. shampoo for sure and rinse, rinse, rinse. Do a short, quick clip if possible (ie. #7 or #5 strip with #10 maternity) and know both dam and pup may get stressed... or maybe not and you'll get some puppy kisses out of the deal!
                Last edited by pamperedpups; 01-10-07, 02:21 PM. Reason: Spell check!

Comment

Great advice here. I groom my girls while they're pregnant soon before they whelp and don't usually bathe them again until the pups are weaned. But with a client's dog obviously you won't have that practical of a solution. I probably wouldn't even suds up her tummy (just rinse) unless it's extremely dirty. But seeing as she has just one pup, most likely not all teets are being used. You might just have to play it by ear. But if you can see a couple teets that are being used - and you can generally tell. I would just skip over them and like everyone said rinse, rinse and rinse. Mild shampoo, little or no conditioner - only the basics. There's probably not a cut and dry answer for a lactating mama, I would think each one would be different. Use your own judgement with what you know and what you've learned here and go with your gut.

Comment

Pampered pups.... I do start weaning my guys by 4 weeks. They eat out of a
                    cake pan... with gerber baby rice and powdered milk and a bit of canned puppy food. 4weekers are toddling and walking and that is the time that I start their weaning and feeding regiment... it is also easier on mom... I don't like my girls to get too thin from all the sucking and such, and if large pups are sucking they start turning momma purple.... not good for the show ring.

On the sammies, the hair around the nipples gives way, as does the hair on the body, and I usually pluck alot of the guard hairs prior to whelping, so it comes back quicker....

So I would not trim anywhere near the nipples, hormones will probably allow you to strip out any hair near the nipples, if you need to.

Good luck with momma's bath.... I would suggest babies could use a small clip (face and feet) before they go to their new homes.... so suggest babies around 7 weeks or so....

Debby

Comment

Another Question?

There are lots of good ideas and opinions listed here. As a business person, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to have the owner of a nursing mother dog sign a release since it is not generally recommended that a nursing mother dog be groomed? Just an idea.

Comment

I really don't see a problem with grooming momma dog. Only problem would be
                        danger of parvo or something to the pups carried home. Since I bleach my shop daily... I have no problem with this.

On a personal note, I groom momma dog a couple of days after puppies are born, green staining on a white dog sucks! and I take that time to do dew claws as well.

4 week old pups are pretty old in my book. They are crawling out of the puppy box and really don't need momma to keep warm and are not really eating every 2 hours either. By 6 weeks, most of my pups had had their own bath... some messy guys earlier! So it really is a none issue to me. Some people are bringing in 2 or 3 day old pups to the vet for dewclaws, which I have alot more problem with that, with all the sick dogs at the vets.

Debby

Comment

I have a nursing mom right now, the puppies just turned 2 weeks on Monday. 2 have their eyes open, 1 has 1 eye open and the other half open and the other 2 are still closed. They are so cute as you can tell by my pic. Not the best pic of the mom though. I am thinking of bathing her in about a week. I am being so picky on getting these guys homes. I have a 2 page application for people to fill out plus a spay/neuter contract. And as soon as the puppies are gone mom is getting spayed. Dad is already neutered. I've already started to take inquiries and have already denied one person because she was rude. I just have an ad up online right now and asked for e-mails only at this point and forgot to 0 out my number. So she called me and then kept asking me questions but wouldn't let me answer. Then she said she knew all about the breed and then asked if they were white. If she knows all about the breed she knows they only come in white (or sometimes an off white like white dogs do sometimes). She pissed me off. Then she invited herself to come over to see the puppies when they were only 9 days old. Yeah she didn't get to see them and she doesn't get to have one.
                          Becky

Comment

Debby: None of my Poodles really shed the coat around their nipples, so a maternity clip WAS needed...

Since this pup really shouldn't be taken away from the breeder until about 10 weeks, while the pup is probably getting around and starting to munch on soft foods at this age, every week counts IMO.

toomuchfun- Like Debby, I've bathed dams as early as the second day after having pups with no problems, but that was at home, and I do think having the dog groomed outside of the home IS somewhat risky.

Comment

Like I said on the old board...disinfected truck and ESPECIALLY shoes (!!), clean clothes and first appointment of the day. I'm obsessive about passing on anything to baby pups and wouldn't stop anywhere between home and appt. and would also use a spray bottle of 30-1 bleach solution on the bottom of my shoes before going inside their home 'just in case'.

My pups start eating food when their eyes open and are pretty much on their way to being weaned by 4 weeks. Unless the pup is a tiny toy the time mom is away for grooming shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X