Questions about working commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about working commission

First, wondering how common it is for groomers in different states to get paid more than 50%. Second... are a lot of you who do get paid commission also required to work 8 hours, whether or not you have dogs? For instance, your last dog comes in at 1pm, your 8 hours would be up at 4pm. do you leave after your 1pm dog or are you required to stay a minimum amt. of hours, waiting for calls, walk ins for nails, cleaning etc?

50% for everyone where I work except one who is on salary. When we are finished for the day tho we can leave and the receptionists take messages for us to return the next morning. The salaried groomer does have to stay for eight hours.

Lisa

Comment

Im 46 % but I traded the other 4 percent for health Ins. and quarterly bonus that the other hrly hospital employees get.

I leave when Im done because we have receptionists but if I worked in a small shop, I would expect to have to stay till all my clients went home.

Comment

comission and staying

when i start grooming i believe my boss is going to offer 40 percent commission...and i would probably have to stay until the last of MY dogs that i groomed go home...although she might offer to let me go ahead of time and check the dogs out myself. i dont know we havent really talked about it all that much as im still learning feet.
        i dunno...
        Hound

Comment

i think i really depends on so many things..i have received anywhere from 50%-65%. the same thing for the hours..depends on the particular shop. i think it's nice to be able to leave when you are done.i have worked in a place that didn't want you to leave until the last "groom" dog had gone home, in case something had to be done to the dog, and i have worked in places where you could leave(there was another groomer on case something else needed doing, like shorten the beard,ears,etc.) it's best when everyone takes a turn closing.

Comment

Where I'm from (New Hampshire), if you are getting paid commission and they want you to stay once you are done grooming to check dogs out that are leaving later, they have to pay you somehow to compensate for your time. I called the Labor Board and thats what they told me. Most everyone around here makes 50%.

Comment

The only time I had to stay for a full 8 hour shift was when I was a manager at a corporate shop. I recieved either hourly or commission, whichever was greater.

Commission is really just a formula for figuring your pay. Unless state law says otherwise, it's between you and your employer whether you stay a full 8 hours or not.

Comment

Where I work now at a Vet Hospital I pushed for an hourly wage to clock in while not grooming. This has turned out to be a much better situation then I was in before which was 50 percent commission but the boss wanted us there atleast eight hrs. hanging out on our time. On slower days after I'm done grooming I get to work in all different area's of the hospital assisting the Vets, work in boarding, filing, phones or whatever is needed. Plus I have health bennies, this job offer was way too good to pass up. And if I'm working somewhere in the hospital under my hourly pay and a groom walks in or calls I can choose to schedule it later or have them come right in for a groom and then switch over to the commission. It's very cool, so far it has worked out well for myself and my coworker (groomer also). Most of the time I'm grooming though, which I'm glad. So far working in a Vet Hospital really hasn't had a real slow down time yet. I've only been there though for about 4 months now though.

Comment

The last shop I worked at offered 60/40 and you came in and left when the dogs did.

Comment

It depends on where you work. I've worked in places where you had to stay the entire shift (whether it be 6,8, 10 hours, etc) even if you had NOTHING to do! Where I work now, I leave when I'm done grooming/cleaning up.

As for the rate of commission, I think that varies not state-to-state, but more so by employer. I've worked at 4 grooming salons in NJ ... 3 paid me 50% and I now make 60%.

eddie

Comment

The mobile groomer I worked for before this paid everyone 35% for bath/brush outs. and 50% for cuts. She has 8 employees, all work for the same.

Comment

Like Chi-fan the last salon I worked at offered me COM on grooming and an hourly wage for "hanging out" on my own time. I've made everything from 45%-80% and hourly at the last place I worked. It really does depend on the employer and your agreement with them. Good luck to you!!

Comment

Just curious

Originally posted by pamperedpups View Post
                          The last shop I worked at offered 60/40 and you came in and left when the dogs did.
                          Just curious Pamapered. I'm assuming that you got the 40%?

Comment

I get a combo of commission and hourly...don't think I'd stay if I was strictly commission...doesn't seem right, my boss is incredibly fair though, so I don't have to worry about it thankfully!
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

toomuchfun- Groomers got the 60.

Comment

Working...
                              X