Skirted Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirted Dogs

How do you guys clip skirted dogs? Do you clip against the grain on the back or with? Scotties are hard for me to do for some reason with skirts. Do you use a 7, 5, or 4 on the back and then what blade do you blend with?

Dogs with fringe/skirts, whatever you want to call it get the length on the back according to what the OWNER wants, not what I want (unfortunately).

If they want a more natural look, they get a #4 with the grain, if they want a tight look on the back, I use a #7 with the grain. Schnauzers, well, I use a T-84 blade with the grain, using a clipper vac (regulator open). The T-84 blade is a wide blade about the length between a #7 and #10 blades. That's for those who like their schnauzers short on the back.

I don't care to go in reverse, but some dogs, like westies have lines all over their coats if you use a #4 or #5, so in that case you can use a longer blade in reverse, or use a skip-tooth blade.

Be sure to blend the fring/skirt, or it just looks horrendous.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I get so many compliments on my scotties and westies. I often use a 5 skip on the back and then follow down along the side going straight down so that it skims off the dog as the dogs body curves into the belly. I will go back and skim the sides downward until the skirt is under control. It looks like an even flowing hair pattern with no lines. This leaves no skirt line whatsoever and looks neat and natural. For dogs whose hair doesn't seem to cut with the 5 skip (or any blade going with the lay of the hair) I often use a 3 3/4 blade in reverse (gives the back a shorter, cut look) and then skim down the sides using the 5 skip. I use a 5 f in reverse for the throat area and sometimes the neck like right behind the ears where it is hard to cut.

Comment

When I am doing breeds like that it depends on the owner and coat as to what blade I use on the back. For instance I have a westie owner that likes her back coat longer so I use a 4. But whatever I use, I use that same blade going into the skirt. But I pull away gently so there is no cutting directly into the skirt. I do not like the look of "bushy shelf" type skirts. When I do it this way I get a nice blend. Then I take any scragglers off with my thinning shears. Just how I have been doing it for 15 years.
        Shannon

Comment

You know, I don't get a lot of dogs that have skirts, they usually get legs a little fluffier than the body, just seems to be what owners like around here. Anyhow, I have seen some dogs in the clinic, and some new clients of my own with some crazy skirts. I mean, some start waaaay up the side of the back, and some follow the body lines and look a lot more natural. I leave "mini skirts" on a couple of dogs, and I let their body shape determine where the lines land. I first trim the all over length of the skirt/legs (using combs on my taxi-vac) then blend the pretty short backs into it, as others have mentioned above. I don't know how to do any show grooming, so maybe I shouldn't have commented...he he he, my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Fur Elite View Post
            I get so many compliments on my scotties and westies. I often use a 5 skip on the back and then follow down along the side going straight down so that it skims off the dog as the dogs body curves into the belly. I will go back and skim the sides downward until the skirt is under control. It looks like an even flowing hair pattern with no lines. This leaves no skirt line whatsoever and looks neat and natural. For dogs whose hair doesn't seem to cut with the 5 skip (or any blade going with the lay of the hair) I often use a 3 3/4 blade in reverse (gives the back a shorter, cut look) and then skim down the sides using the 5 skip. I use a 5 f in reverse for the throat area and sometimes the neck like right behind the ears where it is hard to cut.
            That's the way I like to do them too but the owners often have different ideas. Used to do a Schnauzer that had to be done with a 30 on the back, long furnishings and poodle feet.

Lisa

Comment

For Scotties I clip the body with the grain using a 4FC or 5FC , blending into the sides gently, then blending the transitional area from body into skirt with thinning shears, so it looks natural and there are no lines.

Comment

Thanks everyone. All of my owners have liked thier dogs (so they say) but I wasn't too sure about them and the one lady with 2 scotties has not came back. Another ? I had about Scottie Tails. I have hand scissored the tails. Is this correct?

Comment

I do what the owner wants always
                  "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                  Nancy

Comment

It is, but you can save time by using clippers. I usually use a blade one or two longer than the back for the top and sides of the tail, the back of the tail is shorter (same blade as back or shorter blade. Then just trim up the tip of it, make sure it is shaped right etc. This assumes the tail is in proportion to the dog. Sometimes you get a dog that has a really skinny tail that is not shaped right, so you may need to leave longer and do more hand scissoring.

Comment

On alot of the terriers, I will coat king them and make them more natural... I don't do alot of trimming shorter than a 5 on them... and alot of people like my terriers.... I hate the aprons and no hula skirts on any of my dogs....it is soooo ugly!

I was watching was his name...the dog whisperer and saw this westie.... it had an umbrella for a tail ....what the heck is with that.... it looked terrible! Like a poodle pomish tail....

Debby

Comment

Too Funny

Originally posted by Debby View Post
                        On alot of the terriers, I will coat king them and make them more natural... I don't do alot of trimming shorter than a 5 on them... and alot of people like my terriers.... I hate the aprons and no hula skirts on any of my dogs....it is soooo ugly!

I was watching was his name...the dog whisperer and saw this westie.... it had an umbrella for a tail ....what the heck is with that.... it looked terrible! Like a poodle pomish tail....

Debby
                        That is what I think makes grooming so interesting(difficult?). You could do the most perfect to breed standard cut, but if the owner doesn't like it, it doesn't matter. There is no accounting for some peoples taste.

Comment

Originally posted by PetsRus View Post
                          Thanks everyone. All of my owners have liked thier dogs (so they say) but I wasn't too sure about them and the one lady with 2 scotties has not came back. Another ? I had about Scottie Tails. I have hand scissored the tails. Is this correct?
                          You can scissor, but you can save yourself a lot of time by clipping. It really depends on the tail too. Some dogs have a correct tail, one that really already looks like a carrot, and you can possibly get away with a three on the entire tail. However, most I see have long skinny tails, and in order to get the carrot look I generally will take a three on the top and the bottom (with a five directly under the tail to save from mess) and then an A comb on the sides.
                          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                          X