She's a What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's a What?

Several months ago I started grooming a dog for a new client. He stated that the dog is a Papillon. When I saw her the first time all I could think was "She's a what? A Papillon? Well, her ears, maybe. But the rest of her?" I thought maybe she's a Pap/Malti mix. She's white, has longish straight hair, kind of whispy...and Pap ears. I groomed her with a O gaurd, and scissored her legs. Very cute. I should have seen what she is, but thinking mixed breed, I missed it. Until today.

She came in, and her owner requested she be clipped right down, short, except for her topknot, ears and tail. She'd had a flea problem and her skin is a mess. They wanted it short so they could get the spray the vet gave them right to her skin, not just on her hair.

Soooo. As I started clipping her face with a 10, it hit me. The more I worked on her, the more it became obvious what she really is. A Chinese Crested Powderpuff! All that hair on her face fooled me.

So I left her little feets with boots, gave her a Crested mane and ears, and now she looks almost like a Hairless. Almost. And she's still very cute.

Too funny... did you mention your "discovery" and reason behind the breed clip to the owners?

Comment

What did the owners think? I would have freaked if I didn't know what they were, until you showed me the Chinese Crested (hairless). Then I would have proudly displayed my purebred dog all over town, LOL.

Just like the other owners do, even though their dogs are mixed and they don't know it!

Tammy in Utah
      PS: E-gads! I just realized, a "papillon" wouldn't have hair like that on its feet, definitely a mix!
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I had a new customer the other day that told me she had a bull terrier. When I got there. I said, oh I must have wrote it down wrong, she is a pitt, not a bull. She said , NO she is a bull terrier. So after the groom, I took in my "all breeds" book and showed her. She was like OH WOW. She is a pitbull. DUH! They don't really look to similar to me. That is what she was told from the ASPCA. I wonder sometimes where these people that work there get their knowledge.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by pamperedpups View Post
          Too funny... did you mention your "discovery" and reason behind the breed clip to the owners?
          I didn't get to talk to the owner. I went home before she was picked up. I'll find out tomorrow what he thought of it.

I hope he liked it. She sure was cute.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
            I had a new customer the other day that told me she had a bull terrier. When I got there. I said, oh I must have wrote it down wrong, she is a pitt, not a bull. She said , NO she is a bull terrier. So after the groom, I took in my "all breeds" book and showed her. She was like OH WOW. She is a pitbull. DUH! They don't really look to similar to me. That is what she was told from the ASPCA. I wonder sometimes where these people that work there get their knowledge.
            Most ASPCA and shelter workers know a pit bull when they see one. But they call it something else for a variety of reasons; to make the dog more adoptable, to avoid liability issues, and to keep them out of the hands of pit fighters.

On the other hand, when I had my bull terriers, I can't tell you the number of times I had to explain to people that no, they aren't pit bulls.

Comment

At a shop I worked at we had a teen girl come to us to help bathe. The girl tried hard and was very nice, just learning as she went. One day, a client came in with her Borzoi, our bather helper commented on what a beautiful Afghan she had... and the owner flipped! I've never understood why some people get sooo upset when their dog is improperly labeled. I mean, I can't count the times people have asked what breed my TOY POODLE is or have tried to guess. Phillipe's been called everything from a Bichon to a Chinese Crested, depending upon how I have him clipped.

Comment

That is neat!

Oh my goodness! I am anxious to hear what the owners said when you told them what she was! I hope that they were very excited! The Chinese Crested do require some special skin care, so that would help to explain her skin condition as well!

Comment

Did the owners like her new hair do??????
                  Wished you had a before and after of both the grooms. I would have liked to seen that one.
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

I just love the way chinese cresteds look, i bet the owners would be surprised to know they have something completely different than they thouhg.

I really would have loved to see pics of that.

Comment

Mine get confused labels all the time. I hear wow, that's a big boxer you've got there (he's a Great Dane, but granted, a smaller one height-wise). With the 3 Malinois I get asked all the time how cute the puppies are ... haha, it doesn't help that when I walk one of them he's always either carrying a ball or bouncing around like a loon, so when they ask and I tell them he's 7, they assume 7 months. Nope, 7 years, with that much energy, and that's when I get that look of ... step away, she's crazy. So I usually then tell them I have 2 more at home if they'd like to meet them, ha ha.

My favorite though was my son's friend's dad who stopped by and when I caught up with them again he said, sarcastically ... nice pony in the living room.

Comment

I think the powder puffs are so darn cute I also groom a bull that looks like a pit and she is a big love bug
                        "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                        Nancy

Comment

Also keep in mind, diamie, that when "identifying" breeds or mixes for people, due to genetics and/or poor breeding, some dogs that may very well be pedigreed and a certain breed may look nothing like the standard...

Comment

Here is Sophie

Tell me what she is lol
                            Attached Files

Comment

I don't know why?

We can only have 1 pic per post
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X