learning to use clipper vac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning to use clipper vac

Recently we got a taxi-vac and have an Ivac hooked to it.

Well we are having some trouble getting used to it. any suggestions, tips tricks, whatever?

Jason

Not quite sure what kind of problems you're having, whether they're specific problems, but I know it took me a couple months to really get used to all the extra weight, and how to manipulate the big hose thing. Keep pushing through the annoying stuff, and just overly concentrate and soon it will feel as natural as a normal clipper.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

What's your problem?

I have heard of some people having problems with tracks. Is that what's happening? Hope you fill us in on your progress.

Comment

I would suggest seeing if you can find someone with the clipper vac video and talk them into letting you borrow it. It really helps you to understand how and why to do certain things with it. Other than that... practice! But be warned, once you figure it out.... You will never work without it!!

Comment

You can order the video direct from mdc romani. You can even call marlene romani and she will be happy to talk to you
          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
          Nancy

Comment

suction

Hi, clipping with suction is just a little different. Each unit and clipper combination will be a little different from the next. Remember to start out with the suction at the lowest point. It works better for new groomers , once you have a handle on low suction, then you can graduate to higher suction. You'll eventually find a comfort zone. Sometimes it's not so much the suction, but using the next longset blade until you reach your comfort zone.

As previously suggested, find one of the videos and watch it. It will give you all kinds of neat suggestions for suction. Rule of , straight hair (Cockers, Lhasa's, Shih etc) use low suction and a longer blade.

Now a lot of people are using the CV in the reverse, I don't usually do that, but sometimes it helps to get a smooth finish. Just remember, clipping in reverse without suction translates to a shorter length than with the grain, and with suction it's going to be even closer.

www.pamsbubblemobile.com

Comment

It takes a while to get used to it. Go slow and be patient. Investing in a video is good advice, but just like anything else it takes practice. Remember back to when you started how "hard" it was to cut nails? Every time you do it, it get easier until you get to the point where you are just doing it without even thinking about it.

The person who taught me about it said the most important things to remember are:

1. Be careful to keep tails and long ears out of the way.
              2. If you aren't sure what blade or snap on to use, start longer and work your way down til you find the right length.
              3. Curly hair and straight hair cut different.

For myself, I've found that lots of dogs that I would have used blades on before, I do with snap ons with the CV. When I had the Romani CV I found going against the grain with straight hair worked better, but with the taxi vac the suction control is so much better, I don't feel the need to do that anymore.

There are instances when I can't use the CV (dog is scared of the extra noise, etc ) and without it I feel like I'm grooming in the dark ages!!!

Comment

I'm guilty.........

guilty of not using it enough!!!!!!! I have a clipper vac tote, and I don't use it as much as I thought I would........see, I still get lines sometimes when I clip in reverse with snap ons..........I'm not sure what the heck is with me, but I still get lines........

Vicki

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie_Gal View Post
                  guilty of not using it enough!!!!!!! I have a clipper vac tote, and I don't use it as much as I thought I would........see, I still get lines sometimes when I clip in reverse with snap ons..........I'm not sure what the heck is with me, but I still get lines........

Vicki
                  Vickie, you will get SOME lines, but you really want to follow the hair exactly as it lays---only in reverse. So on the sides, sometimes the hair grows sideways, like from the shoulder to the thigh, but sometimes the hair grows down the ribs. Slight exaggeration, most of them are like the latter, but anyway, even if the hair is growing in circles, that is the direction you want to clip, only in reverse.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I think that's what the issue is Tammy, I must not follow the hair exactly?? I just hate when I see those darn lines, and I don't use it.......when really, practice makes perfect right? I should put more of an effort into it really.

Vicki

Comment

clipper vac

I would love to get the hanvey taxi, but sure sounds like more stress to me. Jason, if you figure it out, let me know lol I don't think I will ever shave in reverse, but if you figure out how to do it without reverse, howl at us! lol

Comment

OMG I couldn't live without my clipper vac. When i hear stories of people having one but not using it I just can't believe it. Well, actually I can. I remember when I first got mine there was a period where I wondered how and if I would get used to it. If felt big and clutzy to me and i kept cutting off more hair than I meant to or it looked patchy to me. But i heard so many good things about it I actually forced myself to use every day and for every groom except for pattern grooms (cockers) at first (i used longer attachments so I wouldn't be screwed by cutting the hair too short). After two weeks of forcing myself to solidly use it, I was used to it. I integrated pattern grooms after many many months when I felt better about being able to skim with it. Anyone who is having problems with lines needs to try doing everything in reverse and you will never have a problem with lines again. I do everything in reverse...everything except for blending skirts/furnishings in with backs, for this I usually go with the lay of the hair with a skip blade and skim down the sides. Sometimes if the dogs hair is really fine, I will turn off the suction of the CV for the skimming of the skirt and put a shorter skip blade on than I was using for the back with the cv. If my clippervac ever breaks, I swear i will cancel all my apps until it is fixed.

Comment

Lab shavedown

Well my wife tried the vac on a lab shavedown today.

Man the lines that she ended up with it was like a 6 lane highway.

She ended up fixing t with a non-vac clipper.

But I am glad she is experimenting with it. She has been using it on poodles mostly. Still not real comfortable with it. But Im glad she is trying.

Jason

Comment

Jaeinn: Your wife must have clipped that lab WITH the grain. I'm no longer a big proponent of reverse clipping, but there are times when it is simply necessary. Use the #5f or #7f in reverse on the lab with the taxi vac on it's lowest suction. It'll be as smooth as velvet. Even without the clipper vac, I shave labs in reverse. How can you not get LINES when going with the grain? Use a #10? I don't care for that look myself, the #7 reverse looks like velvet.

Tammy in Utah
                            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I, fortunately, learned how to groom with one so it is second nature to me!! (About the only good thing the school I went to had going on for it...) The learning curve is HUGE when you first start out with one if you didn't learn on it. You might sonsider just tell clients that you're learning a new piece of equipment and they may notice a slight difference in their pet's trim today Also, if you are getting blade chatter (aka track marks) check your blade to see if the cutter is straight. I've dropped my clippers and knocked the blade out of alignment and found blade chatter when I put it back on the coat...

Start out doing pads and sanis, Poodle FFT and one length clip-offs. Just be careful with the suction so you don't pull delicate body parts into it A 4F in reverse is a nice length if you regularly do short trims; a 4F or 7F reverse on a one-length Cocker is velvet!! After using my vac system for so long now I very rarely do a blade trim because I like the results I get with a SOC---and with little scissoring, too. I don't know if MDC Romani will sell just the video but you can check e-bay for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X