Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fostering doggy help???

hi guys
    you all might remember me as animalcrazy,but i changed my user name,anyways thurs.someone dumped a dog at my shop,alls i got her name is blanca and shes 14 months old chi mix,very skittish she bit me twice,but as you know i dont hold that against her,who knows how she was treated before anyways i went to take her to the shelter,and just bawled my eyes out so im fostering her for the shelter,well she loves me,but skittish around everyone else,havent introduce to my dogs yet,but she can see them and seems very curious,she seems fine with the cats one minute,and then goes after them the next,i dont like that although most of my cats are bigger than her,any suggestions on what to do to help this baby,i know she will make a wonderful pet for someone,but ive never fostered before
    help!!!!!!thanks
    trish

Any chance at all you can find out more of this little one's background? It's hard to tell any behavior issues from a forum, or even without knowing much backgorund, but Chi's are skittish and tough anyway. With such a young one being dumped, who knows how often this one has been passed around before. Baby steps is all I can recommend. Slow and easy, and keep the leash on her to remove her quickly from uneasy situations. Any introductions should be done VERY slowly and carefully, and with leashes and other trusted individuals for both dogs. First thing to do is get her used to another human, who can then help with the introductions to the others. How are the cats with other dogs? They're able to get away, but will they beat her up?

Comment

Hopefully with time she will adjust. Did you get the owner's name? I don't understand why they would dump her with you and not a shelter.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Little Rescue

Hi! I just rescued a 1 1/2 year old persian cat who was VERY skittish. The rescue lady is shocked at how well she is doing with us! We have given her some space but do not let her hide. We are very patient and loving, but also make sure that she recieves petting, attention and affection each day. I think that it desensitizes her to getting attention that she is not used to. If she gets scared, I try to be sure that I do not end her petting session until she is happy and calm. That way I feel that she remembers each time she gets attention as a good time. I noticed that she felt much more secure when she was laying on a cushioned window seat in our home and would actually let us aproach her and pet her there at times. Normally she would run if you approached her. So I gave her a really cushy little pillow bed and placed it under our coffee table. That way she is around the action, but feels secure. She absolutely loves that and lays on it all the time. I plan to slowly move it out into the open. She now lets us aproach her and pet her when she is laying on her cushy bed. She's even gotten to the point that we can aproach her in the open at times. I think her bed gives her a feeling of security. Maybe a cushy little pillow bed would help your little rescue dog too? Kind of a little security blanket? My rescue bit me too, when I had to brush her. It can be hard to experience, but they obviously have suffered abuse. Even once they know that we are kind to them it will take time for them to relearn new habits of trusting new people. I think a rescue like your little dog will need a very special home with a firm, patient and loving owner that will understand his special needs. I always love to watch the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan. I'm sure that his books will have excellent advice that could help you rehabilitate your precious little rescue. I hope that you keep us informed on his progress! Best of luck with him!

Comment

It's going to take time and patience. She will adjust. It took our rescue a couple of weeks and then is was as if had been here since he was a puppy
          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
          Nancy

Comment

No great advice from me. Sounds like you have already gotten good advice. All I want to do is wish you luck in fostering this little dog. It takes special people to be able to do what you are doing. I wouldn't be able to do it, I'd end up keeping the dog.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

Remember the calming signals; licking and yawning. Use them when she's nervous, when introducing her to new people (and ask them to do it, too), and when you're working with her.

Give her time to adjust, get down on her level (sit on the floor) and encourage her to be brave. No baby talk when she's afraid. That just reinforces her fear. Keep your voice low and calm. Use play time to teach her new skills and boost her confidence. Lot's of praise.

Mark desired behavior. For example, when she's playing nicely with the cats, use a word or phrase, like "Play Nice" and praise her. Eventually, Play Nice will mean just that, so when she starts not playing nice you can use Play Nice to correct her behavior.

You can use behavior marking to teach her a lot of things. Just observe what she's doing, use the same word every time you see her doing it, and praise her. She'll associate the word with the behavior, and soon she'll do it reliably whenever you ask her. And all that praise will boost her confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchfunbnme View Post
                I think her bed gives her a feeling of security.
                Excellent suggestion -- with a dog, sometimes a small crate will help, with the door open and something comfortable inside. Let the pup know she's safe there and that's HER place (at least for now, you if she decides she doesn't want anyone's hands in it -- watch for that and work on it as it comes up.) They need a places that's like "base" for them. And you can also show this with the other dogs and cats in the house -- allow them to be around her while she's in the crate (door closed), so she learns that this is her safe place.

My dogs have the varikennels. I think the closed sides help them feel better and get more peace and quiet than the wire ones (they hated those).

Comment

thank you all

for the great advice the little dog is doing great,loves dogs,and cats,and starting to get used to people,and shes crated at night,hopefully if all works out she will be adopted this weekend,i think she ready,and has so much more confidence,please keep your fingers crossed

Comment

Sounds like you have done a great job in fostering. My fingers are crossed that she get adopted this week end.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

Working...
                    X